Mailing List Archive

First-ever Wikimedia Foundation Annual Report
Hey all,

Very pleased to announce the official release of our first-ever Annual
Report today.

Hosted on-wiki:
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Annual_Report

And blogged up here:
http://blog.wikimedia.org/2008/10/31/wikimedias-first-ever-annual-report/

We'll have lots of time to prep for the next annual report, so please
share any feedback or thoughts on how we can make improvements.

Jay Walsh
Head of Communications
WikimediaFoundation.org
+1 (415) 839 6885 x 609

Re: First-ever Wikimedia Foundation Annual Report [ In reply to ]
Hoi Jay,
What I would love is more and better information on what we do to support
other languages. In the annual report for instance it says that we support
100 languages. In actual fact it is much more, 298 is the current number for
languages and scripts that are supported on Betawiki...

I really want to get into a dialogue with the WMF on how it supports other
languages. There is a lot of interest for other languages round about half
our traffic is not in English... I spend a lot of energy into supporting
other languages and currently I am not impressed by the support given other
then the hosting itself. It is also very much that there is nothing in the
WMF that supports it. The language committee for instance is ONLY about the
support for *new *languages.
Thanks,
Gerard

http://translatewiki.net/wiki/Translating:Group_statistics

Re: First-ever Wikimedia Foundation Annual Report [ In reply to ]
This is a good point, Gerard. We were chapters/people/foundation
focussed this time around, but I think there will be a nice way to
spend a few pages on the breadth of languages covered in the next
version.

Thanks!

--
Jay Walsh
Head of Communications

Re: First-ever Wikimedia Foundation Annual Report [ In reply to ]
2008/10/31 Jay Walsh <jwalsh@wikimedia.org>:
> Hey all,
>
> Very pleased to announce the official release of our first-ever Annual
> Report today.
>
> Hosted on-wiki:
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Annual_Report
>
> And blogged up here:
> http://blog.wikimedia.org/2008/10/31/wikimedias-first-ever-annual-report/
>
> We'll have lots of time to prep for the next annual report, so please
> share any feedback or thoughts on how we can make improvements.

Hi Jay,

This is a very beautiful document, in design and meaning, and I think
it represents Wikimedia really well. I would be really proud to show
it to someone and say "I am a part of this".

As a Commoner I am pleased that we have been clear in communicating
our milestones. :)

If anything my only complaint would be that I would like to see two or
four more pages highlighting the work on the projects. One column for
*seven* projects is kind of tragic. Next time ask the community to
help write that part?? I am boggling a bit that that didn't happen
this time.

From Michael's chair letter:

It would be tragic if, 20 years from now, humanity were still
divided into those able to afford edu-
cation and those who could not. The idea of universal access to the
sum of all human knowledge
has been planted in the soil of history. Let us work together in
nourishing it, so that it may become
a garden.

A last comment...with the donor listings, it may be a nice point to
list the number of donors who gave less than $1000 (if not their names
:)) as a point about the long tail and how lots of little
contributions add up to something significant overall, rather like
wiki edits...

cheers
Brianna

http://modernthings.org/