Mailing List Archive

Re: "Expertise" board seats: the NomCom invites your feedback [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 2:01 PM, Florence Devouard <Anthere9@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'd like to acknowledge the fact that local associations are apparently
> unable to create a separate mailing list for discussing the nomination
> of chapter representatives. It did not appear to me to be a huge
> unaccessible task, but unfortunately, that's a fact. Not the right
> infrastructure I guess.
> I even envisionned to create a Google list, that the idea really turned
> me off :-)

For what it's worth: a simple e-mail to info@wikimedia.de or me
personally would have sufficed. We use a very good hosting company
that allows us to create mailing lists without much effort. Setting up
a wiki would have been easy too. I'm glad though that now we seem to
have found someone who will take care of setting this stuff up.

Best regards,

Sebastian
Interim Executive Director
Wikimedia Deutschland

Re: "Expertise" board seats: the NomCom invites your feedback [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 10:12 PM, Dan Rosenthal <swatjester@gmail.com> wrote:
> (Note, I said approvals and development. The lack of involvement by
> ChapCom in the active development of chapters is even more concerning
> than the lack of transparency in the approvals process.)

And surely, because you're involved with every chapter and/or on the
ChapCom mailinglist, you are able to make that judgment. (Yes, You
have been involved with DC. That's a special case, see below).

> Well for one thing, when I first started questioning the idea of why
> there were no US chapters either nationally or subnationally (this was
> before the Pennsylvania chapter started) i was told that it simply
> wasn't going to happen, that the Chapters Committee could not decide
> what they wanted to do, and that in fact there was direct opposition
> on the committee towards certain countries or regions forming chapters.

This is untrue. The issue of sub-national chapters has been discussed
for a long time intra-ChapCom (because it is not a light issue which
can be decided about in a couple days, sorry). We have also solicited
board input for quite some time, but the board was for a long time not
really willing to make principal decisions on this matter. This has
now changed and a general framework has, for the first time, been
developed. which is good and which also means that we can now really
work on the approval of sub-national chapters.

> Currently there are only 18 chapters (excluding UK). There should be
> far more, and I seriously suspect the Chapters Committee is the problem.

How so? Could it not also be that the Chapter groups themselves are
somewhat less than active? Back when we founded WmCH, yes, I
considered ChapCom to be a "barrier" too and a slowly rising one,
alas. But now that I believe to know both sides, I think that ChapCom
has become much faster and more organised, not least also due to the
great work by our new communications advisor (and general reminder
person) Peter / privatemusings.

> WM Venezuela still drafting bylaws since November 2006

Well, yes. With all due respect, what do you expect us to do? We can't
draft bylaws *for the chapters*, for this, we'd need to know all the
legislations of the world, which we don't. We can only afterwards look
at the scope/aim/goal part of the bylaws but they really have to
figure all the practical proceduralities themselves.

> WM Canada has been "finishing up by-laws" since March.

Yes. I happen to be on the wikimedia-canada list and, from what I see
there, not all too much is going on. See, there is a limited amount of
things Chapcom can do: We're always happy to help with advice, and
yes, we might need to get more proactive, but we can't "replace a
community". Either people are there and willing to do this or they
aren0t.

> WM Hrvatske (Croatia I assume? The page says something about Zagreb)
> has been translating bylaws since December last year.

We can't help much here, not speaking Croatian. If they have serious
problems, I believe the WMF would consider a request for the funding
of professional translations.

> WM India still in bylaws discussion since November of last year.
as above.

> WM Norge listed as awaiting approval since July.

The ChapCom has already been voting on this, but the vote had been
stalled, as somehow, our new membership resolution had not been
considered by the board and therefore, we suspended voting until
knowing who was actually entitled to vote and who not. This has now
been cleared, we expect that the board can vote on Norge at its next
meeting.

> WM Portugal listed as "bylaws ready, discussing how to constitute"
> since March.

This strikes me as odd, similarly to Thomas. But we're glad to provide
help if approached, but in many cases, we don't even have email
address etc. from people so it's much easier for us, if they write a
mail to *our non-filtered mailinglist* chapterscommittee-l at
wikimedia punto org

> WM NYC still figuring things out since Jan. 07,
> WM Penn. still listed as figuring stuff out since June 07.
> WM DC has not heard a peep from the chapters committee since May.

as explained above - sub-national chapters had been not individually
considered until the general framework was set. We now have this and
there is also a sub-national chapters working group, so I expect this
to be dealt with speedily.

> Nine chapters languishing in development for an unacceptable length of
> time. This is not to say that the chapters themselves hold no
> responsibility, but I've seen no evidence of the Chapters Committee
> proactively reaching out to say "What can we do to help you guys get
> moving". I suspect if they did, we'd have quite a few more chapters.

I'm not sure whether this is really the major issue here. We can't
guide every chapter in a step-by-step procedure "Now you do this, now
you do that, now you do that". On the one hand, there are too many
local specialities, which rather require input from lawyers or
law-savvy people from these jurisdictions (ahem, Wikimedia UK, I
wouldn't know how ChapCom could have helped much there, we know zero
about UK Company Law...), on the other hand, it *must* be possible. I
have seen many chapters form without any "real-time guidance" by
ChapCom (in fact, I co-established one in that manner) and it *does*
work. It needs an active community, a few people who really want to
invest time in doing tedious things like writing bylaws and
translating them, it requires local meetups etc. etc. But, as much as
we enjoy giving advice, we cannot be "facilitators" for every local
group, I can't write bylaws for WM Venezuela and I can't organise a
pub-wikimeet for Wikimedia Canada (random examples, no offence).

> A couple of Wikimeetups ago, I discussed with some people what their
> interests in developing a chapter were. Quite a few people expressed
> no interest, either because they believed the Chapters Committee was
> unable or unwilling to help, or because they simply believed that it
> was impossible for them to get a chapter approved and they didn't want
> to waste the effort.

Well, maybe you should have a look at how many chapters were approved
in the last 9 months. Quite a few, I daresay. And this, although
ChapCom takes its role seriously and actually considers all bylaws in
depth before submitting an official recognition to the board.

> The fact that people even think that sort of
> thing speaks for itself that the Chapters Committee has failed on some
> level.

On a PR level, possibly. That's why I am very glad that we have
privatemusings with us now.

> The Local Chapter FAQ has a "Do not translate until ChapCom has had an
> opportunity to update it" message since Feb. 2006.

Ouch. I'm sure many people have noted this now and we'll have a look at this.

> The Chapter Creation Guide has not been updated in over a year.
> In over two years of existence, the line that says "The details of
> this process are given in the [[Chapter approval process]] document."
> are STILL a red link. So prospective chapters have ZERO idea of what
> the approval process is.

Why, that's not good, I agree. But it can't be that bad, because we
still do get mails which simply say "Dear ChapCom, this <permalink>
are the English translations of our bylaws, please review and comment
and then approve, if you may". And this is exactly how it should be
done. If you want to, you can write two sentences to that effect on
meta to make it a bluelink. Else, we'll see that we can do it as soon
as someone finds time. But it's a wiki.

> These are just some of the criticisms of the chapters process.

I tried to address them as detailedly as possibly (although we might
want to make a new thread for further discussion of it), hope this
helps.

Michael

--
Michael Bimmler
mbimmler@gmail.com

Re: "Expertise" board seats: the NomCom invites your feedback [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 10:20 PM, Sebastian Moleski <sebmol@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 2:01 PM, Florence Devouard <Anthere9@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I'd like to acknowledge the fact that local associations are apparently
>> unable to create a separate mailing list for discussing the nomination
>> of chapter representatives. It did not appear to me to be a huge
>> unaccessible task, but unfortunately, that's a fact. Not the right
>> infrastructure I guess.
>> I even envisionned to create a Google list, that the idea really turned
>> me off :-)
>
> For what it's worth: a simple e-mail to info@wikimedia.de or me
> personally would have sufficed. We use a very good hosting company
> that allows us to create mailing lists without much effort. Setting up
> a wiki would have been easy too. I'm glad though that now we seem to
> have found someone who will take care of setting this stuff up.

For the record, same here ;-) Manuel, our webmaster, already
provides hosting for the Austrian and the Israeli chapter and a polite
request to manuel.schneider at wikimedia.ch is unlikely to meet
disapproval...

wikimedia dot ch) is up and running now and a wiki is being installed
at chapters.wikimedia.ch though will only be functional by tomorrow.

I'll send out a mail to all chapters secretaries (assuming that I can
figure their mail addresses out) tomorrow, to implement Florence's
proposals (one bureaucrat/listadmin per chapter, to add all the other
board members)

Michael

--
Michael Bimmler
mbimmler@gmail.com

Re: "Expertise" board seats: the NomCom invites your feedback [ In reply to ]
2008/11/2 Florence Devouard <Anthere9@yahoo.com>:
> Michael Bimmler wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 7:39 PM, Florence Devouard <Anthere9@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Note that I made a request on bugzilla for a wiki.
>>> If you think you can make it, I'll put the request on bugzilla on hold
>>> Michael. If you can do it, great.
>>>

>> Update:
>>
>> Yes, Wikimedia CH, through our webmaster and -hoster, will gladly
>> provide both a (MediaWiki) wiki and a (Mailman) list.
>
> Real neat. Now, there is a competition between Schiste and you !

Nope I just spoke to manuel to decide who should do it (as I was about
to install), so no competition with WM CH, just cooperation ! :)

Re: "Expertise" board seats: the NomCom invites your feedback [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 10:43 PM, Christophe Henner
<christophe.henner@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/11/2 Florence Devouard <Anthere9@yahoo.com>:
>> Michael Bimmler wrote:

>>> Update:
>>>
>>> Yes, Wikimedia CH, through our webmaster and -hoster, will gladly
>>> provide both a (MediaWiki) wiki and a (Mailman) list.
>>
>> Real neat. Now, there is a competition between Schiste and you !
>>

> Nope I just spoke to manuel to decide who should do it (as I was about
> to install), so no competition with WM CH, just cooperation ! :)

Oh, good! Thanks for sorting out ;-)

--
Michael Bimmler
mbimmler@gmail.com

Re: "Expertise" board seats: the NomCom invites your feedback [ In reply to ]
Thomas Dalton wrote:
> There are plenty of barriers. The first one is finding a large enough
> group of people interested in being involved. One or two people can't
> form a chapter.

Please re-read my email: there are no barriers to create a new chapter
(except bureaucratic problems) and/or to take part in another national
chapter.

A lot of chapters give the opportunity to have members outside national
borders.

Ilario

Re: "Expertise" board seats: the NomCom invites your feedback [ In reply to ]
2008/11/2 Ilario Valdelli <valdelli@gmail.com>:
> Thomas Dalton wrote:
>> There are plenty of barriers. The first one is finding a large enough
>> group of people interested in being involved. One or two people can't
>> form a chapter.
>>

> Please re-read my email: there are no barriers to create a new chapter
> (except bureaucratic problems) and/or to take part in another national
> chapter.
>
> A lot of chapters give the opportunity to have members outside national
> borders.

(Actually, you sent it as 2 emails, but nevertheless, I did read both
before replying.)

Sure, you can join a chapter in another country, but there is little
point unless you actually have some connection to that country.
Joining a chapter just to be able to take part in discussion about how
chapters will work in the future doesn't seem like a good reason to
join.

Re: "Expertise" board seats: the NomCom invites your feedback [ In reply to ]
About this list and wiki to be created: would the would be chapters with a
chance of being approved before a Board approval on this question be
invited? I am speaking of WM Norway and WM Hungary, that are either already
incorporated or 99% percent likely to finish incorporation process in less
than 3 months' time.
About ChapCom transparency: the ChapCom members have been helpful, but I
don't find their work transparent. How does one chapter get approved by them
(or even the Board) before incorporation, or just faster then the chapters
presenting their bylaws roughly at the same time? Is the slowness in some
cases deliberate to test the endurance and capabilities of a given community
or even a contactperson? I don't think the answer is yes, yet without
transparency and clear criteria, one cannot help to wonder, what is he doing
wrong, and can have no idea how to correct his mistakes if the Chapcom is
not approving the chapter, while other chapters "zoom by" at the same time.

On WM Hrvatska: Hrvatska means Croatia, you guessed right. Last time I
looked at their meta page, the bylaws seemed to be in English. Thus they
might fall into the category of inactive would be chapters.

Best regards,
Bence Damokos

Re: "Expertise" board seats: the NomCom invites your feedback [ In reply to ]
2008/11/2 Bence Damokos <bdamokos@gmail.com>:
> About this list and wiki to be created: would the would be chapters with a
> chance of being approved before a Board approval on this question be
> invited? I am speaking of WM Norway and WM Hungary, that are either already
> incorporated or 99% percent likely to finish incorporation process in less
> than 3 months' time.

There is a similar question regarding the UK chapter. Technically the
current official UK chapter is a dormant organisation in the process
of being dissolved (I'm not sure how far along that process they are),
however there is a new proposed chapter well on its way to approval
(ChapCom have looked at the documents and the forms have been sent to
the appropriate authorities). Which board would be involved in the
discussions? (It should be the new one, obviously, but it's an issue
that needs to be addressed.)

> About ChapCom transparency: the ChapCom members have been helpful, but I
> don't find their work transparent. How does one chapter get approved by them
> (or even the Board) before incorporation, or just faster then the chapters
> presenting their bylaws roughly at the same time? Is the slowness in some
> cases deliberate to test the endurance and capabilities of a given community
> or even a contactperson? I don't think the answer is yes, yet without
> transparency and clear criteria, one cannot help to wonder, what is he doing
> wrong, and can have no idea how to correct his mistakes if the Chapcom is
> not approving the chapter, while other chapters "zoom by" at the same time.

I guess some bylaws require more discussion than others. If everyone
on the committee accepts the bylaws straight away then it will go very
quickly, if there is disagreement between committee members then it
could take a while to resolves (if the whole committee doesn't like
them, then presumably they would tell the relevant community members
pretty quickly).

Re: "Expertise" board seats: the NomCom invites your feedback [ In reply to ]
I hate doing so, but I addressed things inline.

On Nov 2, 2008, at 4:32 PM, Michael Bimmler wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 10:12 PM, Dan Rosenthal
> <swatjester@gmail.com> wrote:
>> (Note, I said approvals and development. The lack of involvement by
>> ChapCom in the active development of chapters is even more concerning
>> than the lack of transparency in the approvals process.)
>>

> And surely, because you're involved with every chapter and/or on the
> ChapCom mailinglist, you are able to make that judgment. (Yes, You
> have been involved with DC. That's a special case, see below).

That's a terrible argument and you know it. I don't need to be
intimately involved with every chapter or on ChapCom's mailing list to
know that things are not as they should be. You ought to know better
than that.

>> Well for one thing, when I first started questioning the idea of why
>> there were no US chapters either nationally or subnationally (this
>> was
>> before the Pennsylvania chapter started) i was told that it simply
>> wasn't going to happen, that the Chapters Committee could not decide
>> what they wanted to do, and that in fact there was direct opposition
>> on the committee towards certain countries or regions forming
>> chapters.
>>

> This is untrue. The issue of sub-national chapters has been discussed
> for a long time intra-ChapCom (because it is not a light issue which
> can be decided about in a couple days, sorry). We have also solicited
> board input for quite some time, but the board was for a long time not
> really willing to make principal decisions on this matter. This has
> now changed and a general framework has, for the first time, been
> developed. which is good and which also means that we can now really
> work on the approval of sub-national chapters.

Nobody suggested a couple days. How long has it been discussed for
intra-ChapCom? Years now? Are you seriously suggesting that the
ChapCom has been doing EVERYTHING in it's power to pursue more chapters?

As for untrue, I know what I was told. Whether they were correct or
not is less important than the fact that this is a public perception
problem of the ChapCom (and yes, privatemusings may help fix it, but
some of the damage is done already).

>> Currently there are only 18 chapters (excluding UK). There should be
>> far more, and I seriously suspect the Chapters Committee is the
>> problem.
>>

> How so? Could it not also be that the Chapter groups themselves are
> somewhat less than active? Back when we founded WmCH, yes, I
> considered ChapCom to be a "barrier" too and a slowly rising one,
> alas. But now that I believe to know both sides, I think that ChapCom
> has become much faster and more organised, not least also due to the
> great work by our new communications advisor (and general reminder
> person) Peter / privatemusings.

I suggest as much below in my post. I'm not saying that ChapCom is not
better now than it was in the past. But there certainly have been
problems with it.

>> WM Venezuela still drafting bylaws since November 2006
>
> Well, yes. With all due respect, what do you expect us to do? We can't
> draft bylaws *for the chapters*, for this, we'd need to know all the
> legislations of the world, which we don't. We can only afterwards look
> at the scope/aim/goal part of the bylaws but they really have to
> figure all the practical proceduralities themselves.

Sure you can. Why can't you help the chapters draft their bylaws for
the general things that do not require specific legal knowledge of
that particular country? Surely ChapCom has a relatively standard
framework that they can provide for the chapters to modify as they
need. If not, that's a failure on the committee's part for not being
proactive enough.

>> WM Canada has been "finishing up by-laws" since March.
>
> Yes. I happen to be on the wikimedia-canada list and, from what I see
> there, not all too much is going on. See, there is a limited amount of
> things Chapcom can do: We're always happy to help with advice, and
> yes, we might need to get more proactive, but we can't "replace a
> community". Either people are there and willing to do this or they
> aren0t.

Nobody's suggesting replacing an community. But what has ChapCom done
to proactively find out where the WMF Canada chapter is currently at,
what help they need, what ChapCom can do to speed things up etc?

>> WM Hrvatske (Croatia I assume? The page says something about Zagreb)
>> has been translating bylaws since December last year.
>
> We can't help much here, not speaking Croatian. If they have serious
> problems, I believe the WMF would consider a request for the funding
> of professional translations.

Has ChapCom made such a request? What efforts have they made to ask
members of the proposed chapter (in whatever language a connection can
be made in) how they can be helped, and find out if the WMF can fund
such translations?

>> WM India still in bylaws discussion since November of last year.
> as above.

As above myself.

>> WM Norge listed as awaiting approval since July.
>
> The ChapCom has already been voting on this, but the vote had been
> stalled, as somehow, our new membership resolution had not been
> considered by the board and therefore, we suspended voting until
> knowing who was actually entitled to vote and who not. This has now
> been cleared, we expect that the board can vote on Norge at its next
> meeting.

Precisely how long does it take for ChapCom to vote?

>> WM Portugal listed as "bylaws ready, discussing how to constitute"
>> since March.
>
> This strikes me as odd, similarly to Thomas. But we're glad to provide
> help if approached, but in many cases, we don't even have email
> address etc. from people so it's much easier for us, if they write a
> mail to *our non-filtered mailinglist* chapterscommittee-l at
> wikimedia punto org

This didn't strike anyone as odd at all since March? Is nobody keeping
an eye out for these things?

>> WM NYC still figuring things out since Jan. 07,
>> WM Penn. still listed as figuring stuff out since June 07.
>> WM DC has not heard a peep from the chapters committee since May.
>>

> as explained above - sub-national chapters had been not individually
> considered until the general framework was set. We now have this and
> there is also a sub-national chapters working group, so I expect this
> to be dealt with speedily.

I view it as a failure that it took so long for even a general
framework to have been set.

>> Nine chapters languishing in development for an unacceptable length
>> of
>> time. This is not to say that the chapters themselves hold no
>> responsibility, but I've seen no evidence of the Chapters Committee
>> proactively reaching out to say "What can we do to help you guys get
>> moving". I suspect if they did, we'd have quite a few more chapters.
>>

> I'm not sure whether this is really the major issue here. We can't
> guide every chapter in a step-by-step procedure "Now you do this, now
> you do that, now you do that". On the one hand, there are too many
> local specialities, which rather require input from lawyers or
> law-savvy people from these jurisdictions (ahem, Wikimedia UK, I
> wouldn't know how ChapCom could have helped much there, we know zero
> about UK Company Law...), on the other hand, it *must* be possible. I
> have seen many chapters form without any "real-time guidance" by
> ChapCom (in fact, I co-established one in that manner) and it *does*
> work. It needs an active community, a few people who really want to
> invest time in doing tedious things like writing bylaws and
> translating them, it requires local meetups etc. etc. But, as much as
> we enjoy giving advice, we cannot be "facilitators" for every local
> group, I can't write bylaws for WM Venezuela and I can't organise a
> pub-wikimeet for Wikimedia Canada (random examples, no offence).

So if you can only give very limited advice, and if you can't actively
help, what exactly do you do?

>> A couple of Wikimeetups ago, I discussed with some people what their
>> interests in developing a chapter were. Quite a few people expressed
>> no interest, either because they believed the Chapters Committee was
>> unable or unwilling to help, or because they simply believed that it
>> was impossible for them to get a chapter approved and they didn't
>> want
>> to waste the effort.
>
> Well, maybe you should have a look at how many chapters were approved
> in the last 9 months. Quite a few, I daresay. And this, although
> ChapCom takes its role seriously and actually considers all bylaws in
> depth before submitting an official recognition to the board.

Six or seven? That's hardly "Quite a few". All it does is establish
that now things are somewhat better now than they were the year before.

>> The fact that people even think that sort of
>> thing speaks for itself that the Chapters Committee has failed on
>> some
>> level.
>
> On a PR level, possibly. That's why I am very glad that we have
> privatemusings with us now.

Good. That's a step in the right direction.

>> The Local Chapter FAQ has a "Do not translate until ChapCom has had
>> an
>> opportunity to update it" message since Feb. 2006.
>>

> Ouch. I'm sure many people have noted this now and we'll have a look
> at this.
>
>> The Chapter Creation Guide has not been updated in over a year.
>> In over two years of existence, the line that says "The details of
>> this process are given in the [[Chapter approval process]] document."
>> are STILL a red link. So prospective chapters have ZERO idea of what
>> the approval process is.
>>

> Why, that's not good, I agree. But it can't be that bad, because we
> still do get mails which simply say "Dear ChapCom, this <permalink>
> are the English translations of our bylaws, please review and comment
> and then approve, if you may". And this is exactly how it should be
> done. If you want to, you can write two sentences to that effect on
> meta to make it a bluelink. Else, we'll see that we can do it as soon
> as someone finds time. But it's a wiki.

Writing two sentences is not a solution to a lack of a "chapter
approval process" document. That can only come from ChapCom or the
foundation themselves as they are the ones who approve things. Two
years of no public guidelines is unacceptable.

>> These are just some of the criticisms of the chapters process.
>>

> I tried to address them as detailedly as possibly (although we might
> want to make a new thread for further discussion of it), hope this
> helps.
>
> Michael

You have helped a lot.

-Dan

Re: "Expertise" board seats: the NomCom invites your feedback [ In reply to ]
> Sure you can. Why can't you help the chapters draft their bylaws for
> the general things that do not require specific legal knowledge of
> that particular country? Surely ChapCom has a relatively standard
> framework that they can provide for the chapters to modify as they
> need. If not, that's a failure on the committee's part for not being
> proactive enough.

From my experience with the (second) UK chapter, a Wikimedia framework
would be pretty useless. Most of the governing documents of a
charitable organisation are determined by the relevant laws. We
started with a framework from the UK charity commission and modified
that to suit our needs, I would expect other countries to be similar.

Re: "Expertise" board seats: the NomCom invites your feedback [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 12:27 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton@gmail.com>wrote:

> > Sure you can. Why can't you help the chapters draft their bylaws for
> > the general things that do not require specific legal knowledge of
> > that particular country? Surely ChapCom has a relatively standard
> > framework that they can provide for the chapters to modify as they
> > need. If not, that's a failure on the committee's part for not being
> > proactive enough.
>
> From my experience with the (second) UK chapter, a Wikimedia framework
> would be pretty useless. Most of the governing documents of a
> charitable organisation are determined by the relevant laws. We
> started with a framework from the UK charity commission and modified
> that to suit our needs, I would expect other countries to be similar.

We followed a similar route, and looking at the other chapters' homepages,
they have done the same, but one thing is common through all the
differences: the part that says what are the given chapter's goals and
activities.

I believe a guide stating, that these are the sample goals that you should
incorporate into your bylaws, would be very helpful.
Also a list of activities based on the other chapters, in a
choose-all-that-applies fashion would also be helpful.

Having such a framework would actually speed up the drafting time of most
bylaws I believe (as valuable time could be devoted to the other minutia of
the sample bylaws a community is working with).

This framework on the other hand would remove any room for the ChapCom to
decide, as the bylaws per definition would be approvable. Yet, I believe an
enthusiastic community, determination and some other human factors might be
more important than to have the best bylaws (you can always modify them
later; if there's a legal problem the Court will just give it back to you
for correction)

Best regards,
Bence Damokos

Re: "Expertise" board seats: the NomCom invites your feedback [ In reply to ]
> I believe a guide stating, that these are the sample goals that you should
> incorporate into your bylaws, would be very helpful.
> Also a list of activities based on the other chapters, in a
> choose-all-that-applies fashion would also be helpful.

That would be very helpful. While some modifications may be required
to make them fit the requirements of each jurisdiction, the basic idea
should be the same everywhere. I know our board spent a LONG time
discussing the objects of the charity.

Re: "Expertise" board seats: the NomCom invites your feedback [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 4:17 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton@gmail.com>wrote:

> > WM Portugal listed as "bylaws ready, discussing how to constitute"
> > since March.
>
> I'm going a little off-topic here, but how does that work? Surely you
> need to know what form the chapter is going to take before you can
> draft bylaws? If they're doing things backwards, that might explain
> why they haven't got very far...

Could be a jurisdictional thing. Here in Florida I don't see a problem with
drafting the bylaws first and figuring out the exact organizational form
second. In fact, in some ways the bylaws can help suggest the proper
organizational form.
Re: "Expertise" board seats: the NomCom invites your feedback [ In reply to ]
Sebastian Moleski wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 2:01 PM, Florence Devouard <Anthere9@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I'd like to acknowledge the fact that local associations are apparently
>> unable to create a separate mailing list for discussing the nomination
>> of chapter representatives. It did not appear to me to be a huge
>> unaccessible task, but unfortunately, that's a fact. Not the right
>> infrastructure I guess.
>> I even envisionned to create a Google list, that the idea really turned
>> me off :-)
>
> For what it's worth: a simple e-mail to info@wikimedia.de or me
> personally would have sufficed. We use a very good hosting company
> that allows us to create mailing lists without much effort. Setting up
> a wiki would have been easy too. I'm glad though that now we seem to
> have found someone who will take care of setting this stuff up.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Sebastian
> Interim Executive Director
> Wikimedia Deutschland

Okay Sebastian.

Thank you for this comment.

Your feedback and Michael one show me that I was incorrect. The issue is
not that chapters can not do such things, but rather that discussion do
not take place at the right location. Because that's the place I
discussed the issue was the internal mailing list and it did not foster
such a reaction ;-)

I note the information for later :-)

Ant

Re: "Expertise" board seats: the NomCom invites your feedback [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 11:06 PM, Bence Damokos <bdamokos@gmail.com> wrote:
> About this list and wiki to be created: would the would be chapters with a
> chance of being approved before a Board approval on this question be
> invited?

I personally don't oppose it (though, in order to be fair, we would
need to draw a line, like "All those who have been recommended for
approval by ChapCom already") but I think this is something that the
chapters need to decide.

As a general comment (and I can thus avoid separately replying to
Thomas Dalton):

This is prima facie a chapters matter, as the seats are called "board
seats to be appointed by the chapters". Yes, the board will eventually
have to approve them de iure etc. but as said, the main idea was: The
chapters figure out a process and then appoint two people.

Therefore, I strongly urge that first we have all the chapter board
members together on the wiki and on the list and then, we can discuss
there whether there is a consensus agreement to open it up to the
public. I would personally be okay with discussing the appointment
processus in public, but I don't see much value in having a public
foundation-l-type discussion on whom we appoint, because then, we're
back to a general community appointments (read: quasi-election), which
was explicitly not what these seats were created for. This is not a
vote against transparency. But we have seats to be filled by NomCom,
seats to be elected, seats to be appointed by chapters, maybe we'll
once have a seat appointed by server admins, whatever. But we should
distinguish, otherwise, we'll just say that we have a 100%-elected
board, which is certainly worth considering, but for the moment, the
board decided against it.

> About ChapCom transparency: the ChapCom members have been helpful, but I
> don't find their work transparent. How does one chapter get approved by them
> (or even the Board) before incorporation, or just faster then the chapters
> presenting their bylaws roughly at the same time? Is the slowness in some
> cases deliberate to test the endurance and capabilities of a given community
> or even a contactperson? I don't think the answer is yes, yet without
> transparency and clear criteria, one cannot help to wonder, what is he doing
> wrong, and can have no idea how to correct his mistakes if the Chapcom is
> not approving the chapter, while other chapters "zoom by" at the same time.

It's very easy: Some bylaws are easier & shorter, some are less. This
doesn't mean that some are "better", but it's just that some bylaws
are very closely modelled on existing ones, and can therefore be
approved much more quickly, while others have a completely novel
structure which needs somewhat more time to understand, if we want to
do our job properly.

Michael
--
Michael Bimmler
mbimmler@gmail.com

Re: "Expertise" board seats: the NomCom invites your feedback [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 11:34 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/11/2 Bence Damokos <bdamokos@gmail.com>:
>> About this list and wiki to be created: would the would be chapters with a
>> chance of being approved before a Board approval on this question be
>> invited? I am speaking of WM Norway and WM Hungary, that are either already
>> incorporated or 99% percent likely to finish incorporation process in less
>> than 3 months' time.
>
> There is a similar question regarding the UK chapter. Technically the
> current official UK chapter is a dormant organisation in the process
> of being dissolved (I'm not sure how far along that process they are),
> however there is a new proposed chapter well on its way to approval
> (ChapCom have looked at the documents and the forms have been sent to
> the appropriate authorities). Which board would be involved in the
> discussions? (It should be the new one, obviously, but it's an issue
> that needs to be addressed.)

Well. Legally speaking, WmUK 1.0 is still an official Wikimedia
chapter, with all rights, prerogatives and privileges that come with
it ;-)
But then, without wanting to be rude, it is probably a bit pointless
to presume that they will take active part in discussions as they're
being dissolved now.
Re WmUK 2.0, they would certainly be included as soon as they meet the
"threshold" we set for this list, which, see my last mail, could be
"ChapCom approval", "Board approval" or something entirely different,
though the latter sounds unlikely to me.

> I guess some bylaws require more discussion than others. If everyone
> on the committee accepts the bylaws straight away then it will go very
> quickly, if there is disagreement between committee members then it
> could take a while to resolves (if the whole committee doesn't like
> them, then presumably they would tell the relevant community members
> pretty quickly).

It needn't even be outright disagreement or non-consensus, it can also
be committee member X saying "Hm, I'm not sure whether this sentence
is appropriate in terms of general aims, can someone explain what they
might mean, am I just getting this wrong?", committee member Y saying
"Oh, I didn't have a problem with that one, let me check again" and so
on. Such minor things can take a lot of time..., perhaps more than
appropriate

Michael
--
Michael Bimmler
mbimmler@gmail.com

Re: "Expertise" board seats: the NomCom invites your feedback [ In reply to ]
General comment first:
Although I'm providing explanations (or call them excuses, whatever, I
don't mind) below, this is not Question Time: I'm not saying we're
perfect and that you're all wrong, I absolutely agree that we can
still become better and I (really) appreciate feedback and input and
suggestions and I'm also glad to say when I agree with suggestions. I
just think it is unfair to dismiss ChapCom's work in its entirety,
whereas I believe that it has become much better than it was, say, end
2005.

On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 11:40 PM, Dan Rosenthal <swatjester@gmail.com> wrote:
> I hate doing so, but I addressed things inline.

Thanks! I'm not a quoting styles evangelist and do top-posting at
times as well, but I believe it is adequate here.

> That's a terrible argument and you know it. I don't need to be
> intimately involved with every chapter or on ChapCom's mailing list to
> know that things are not as they should be. You ought to know better
> than that.

Half granted...you obviously know about the "PR" side and how we're
perceived by the community, but I believe that, as you're not on
ChapCom and are involved in a chapter which was, unfortunately, one of
the victims of the general sub-national-chapters standstill, you do
not know everything about our actual work. But okay, weak argument.

> Nobody suggested a couple days. How long has it been discussed for
> intra-ChapCom? Years now?

Probably. The sequence was along the lines of "spikes of ChapCom
discussion --> silence, sometimes waiting for board input although
sometimes it wasn't even communicated to the board that we'd like
input --> discussion again --> general feeling that we can't decide
this and that the board would need to make a principal strategy
decision, which it didn't want to until recently etc."

This is suboptimal, it is in fact the opposite of optimal, yes. But
that's about how it happened. I'm glad, that we have reached a
milestone now and especially Andrew has been tirelessly campaigning on
this issue.

> Are you seriously suggesting that the
> ChapCom has been doing EVERYTHING in it's power to pursue more chapters?

This might sound stupid now, but could I suggest that we do not just
want "more" chapters in any case? What I'd hate to see is: Dormant
chapter-in-preparation, chapcom pushing and pushing until finally they
get their things together, write down bylaws and have the official
establishment ceremony incl. WMF approval stamp, and, as soon as this
is done, it falls dormant again, because there was no
zealous-enthusiastic community to start with. Do you honestly believe
that a chapter which can't even write bylaws of its own resp. organise
a meetup to move forward, will afterwards be very active just because
it's been supported by ChapCom until it got its rubberstamp? I
believe, the chapters which are known as "active" now (Germany,
France, many others) didn't need ChapCom input to get these things
done, because they had a thriving community. If there is no community
and no one spending time, it's pointless to push this chapter to
approval, just to have "one chapter more". It will already be doomed
to be a failure. But that's my opinion, you may disagree.

> Sure you can. Why can't you help the chapters draft their bylaws for
> the general things that do not require specific legal knowledge of
> that particular country?
> Surely ChapCom has a relatively standard
> framework that they can provide for the chapters to modify as they
> need. If not, that's a failure on the committee's part for not being
> proactive enough.

We don't have this and I agree, it would be a nice-to-have. More than
that, actually, I agree we should make it a priority.
But are you really sure that this is the time-consuming thing? I can
again only speak out of my own experience in establishing a chapter:
We were able to copy-paste-adapt the general aims from Wikimedia
Germany's bylaws (yes, see, we took the quasi-standard framework back
then too), what we spent much time on were really the technical
details, making sure that everything is compliant with Swiss law (and
that we can get tax exemption), making sure that we've got all the
election and votes details properly written down etc etc.
And this is really something where ChapCom can only be of limited help
because this differs just too much country-by-country.

> Nobody's suggesting replacing an community. But what has ChapCom done
> to proactively find out where the WMF Canada chapter is currently at,
> what help they need, what ChapCom can do to speed things up etc?

Nothing, frankly. A couple of months ago, we circulated the idea that
we could "assign" ChapCom members to each prospective chapters, so
that every chapter has its own point-of-contact for minor things
(because it's easier to ask one person that to ask an entire
group=mailinglist) *and* so that these ChapCom people can regularly
follow-up on "their" chapters if things appear to be stalled.
I just remember this now, to be honest, and I'm somewhat surprised
that this was completely forgotten again, I think we need to revive
this idea again.

> Has ChapCom made such a request?

No, I believe the request would be for the chapter to make, because we
don't even know how much the translation would cost...

> What efforts have they made to ask
> members of the proposed chapter (in whatever language a connection can
> be made in) how they can be helped, and find out if the WMF can fund
> such translations?

I believe (but I may stand corrected) that it's written in the
step-by-step chapters creation guide that the WMF would cover certain
expenses on request and if appropriate. If not, we definitely need to
make this more public, but we also need to rely on people reading at
least the things which are there. Yes, they are few and not
up-to-date, we're working on this.

> Precisely how long does it take for ChapCom to vote?

Depends entirely on the availability of people, whether they are in
holidays or not. It is often a bit of an arbitrary decision "Are we
going to wait another couple days for X to cast his vote or not?",
maybe we should standardise this once but we want to keep this as
process-free as we can.
But then, if you care to reread what you quoted: I wrote that Norway
and Hungary were the unfortunate victims of the fact, that voting was
generally stalled in ChapCom as long as we didn't know who could vote
now and who not. I myself didn't vote on these until a couple of weeks
ago, because the board was actually supposed to confirm my "promotion"
from non-voting advisor to voting member, but somehow there was a
miscommunication and the board didn't receive our request to vote on
this.

> This didn't strike anyone as odd at all since March? Is nobody keeping
> an eye out for these things?

See above.

> I view it as a failure that it took so long for even a general
> framework to have been set.

Yes, see above again.

> So if you can only give very limited advice, and if you can't actively
> help, what exactly do you do?

We can help with experience, (we can at the end recommend approval or
disapproval, but this should not be our primary function), we can
guide in general terms and regarding specific things that we know
about (I believe Andrew was even in a kind of Election Committee of
WmUK 2.0) , we CANNOT provide jurisdiction-specific advice, we CANNOT
write and translate bylaws and we CANNOT organise meetups for them.
This is both an expertise and a time question - I know how much work
it is to establish *one* chapter, writing one piece of bylaws etc.,
you can't expect the committee to do this for all chapters. And
seriously, I do wonder a bit why it works so well with some chapters
and so badly with others...

> Six or seven? That's hardly "Quite a few". All it does is establish
> that now things are somewhat better now than they were the year before.

Why, yes, that was my point. And now that we have more new
members/advisors, it should be even better, but they still need time
to get the "lay of the land" ;-)

> Writing two sentences is not a solution to a lack of a "chapter
> approval process" document.

Sorry, here we seem to differ a bit: If I once see a process in the
Wikimedia world which takes two sentences to describe, then I'm happy.
The process is as simple as I wrote: Get a group together, write
bylaws, translate, send in via email. If I use three paragraphs to
describe this, surely the only thing that can happen is that the
process becomes more complicated and more formal, and I oppose that.

>That can only come from ChapCom or the
> foundation themselves as they are the ones who approve things. Two
> years of no public guidelines is unacceptable.

Yes, zero is not good. But you really failed to convince me why "two
sentences" are not a solution - honestly, I'd have no idea how to fill
an entire "chapter approval process" document, we're not using
scheduling hearings, pre-trial motions, subpoenas and what not here,
sorry. There is just not that much to write.

Michael

--
Michael Bimmler
mbimmler@gmail.com

Re: "Expertise" board seats: the NomCom invites your feedback [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 12:48 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I believe a guide stating, that these are the sample goals that you should
>> incorporate into your bylaws, would be very helpful.
>> Also a list of activities based on the other chapters, in a
>> choose-all-that-applies fashion would also be helpful.
>
> That would be very helpful. While some modifications may be required
> to make them fit the requirements of each jurisdiction, the basic idea
> should be the same everywhere. I know our board spent a LONG time
> discussing the objects of the charity.

That's very interesting, as I just wrote about my opposite experience.
But as said, I think it is a good idea to draft a framework with
general aims sentences etc. However, you could start questioning the
"independent chapters" bit somewhat, if every chapter has exactly the
same "Aims and Purpose" paragraph afterwards...
I think there is also a lot of value in chapters deliberating what
they want to do, where they want to set their focus etc. One chapter
might more be into technical development, one into educational
projects, one into publishing, one into soliciting images and so on
and so on. I oppose restricting this latitude. So, on second thought,
I would rather want to set up a document saying "This is 'acceptable':
A, BC, D, E, F and others'. The following will lead to disapproval:
'Represent Wikimedia Foundation in Country X; Be the Operator of the
French language Wikipedia; Elect the ArbCom of German Wikibooks etc."'
We receive always many different sets of aims, and we make sure that
we only point out when we actively disapprove of something and I don't
think we should start saying "Hey, this is a new / slightly different
formulation, it's not in our framework, change this".

M.

--
Michael Bimmler
mbimmler@gmail.com

Re: "Expertise" board seats: the NomCom invites your feedback [ In reply to ]
> I would personally be okay with discussing the appointment
> processus in public, but I don't see much value in having a public
> foundation-l-type discussion on whom we appoint

Agreed. The question of what the process is going to be is a separate
question to the one of who will be appointed to the chapter seats.
We're only on the former at the moment and there is no need to
restrict that (although I would advise against trying to form a
consensus of the general community or holding a general vote or
whatever - the final decision on what to forward to the WMF board
should be made by the chapter boards). Who gets to take part in
appointing people is part of the process and shouldn't be discussed at
this stage (otherwise we'll end up with discussion split over multiple
venues).

Re: "Expertise" board seats: the NomCom invites your feedback [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 4:33 AM, Michael Bimmler <mbimmler@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 11:40 PM, Dan Rosenthal <swatjester@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Nobody's suggesting replacing an community. But what has ChapCom done
>> to proactively find out where the WMF Canada chapter is currently at,
>> what help they need, what ChapCom can do to speed things up etc?
>
> Nothing, frankly. A couple of months ago, we circulated the idea that
> we could "assign" ChapCom members to each prospective chapters, so
> that every chapter has its own point-of-contact for minor things
> (because it's easier to ask one person that to ask an entire
> group=mailinglist) *and* so that these ChapCom people can regularly
> follow-up on "their" chapters if things appear to be stalled.
> I just remember this now, to be honest, and I'm somewhat surprised
> that this was completely forgotten again, I think we need to revive
> this idea again.

Well, chapter-in-formation Wikimedia New York City got "assigned" to
ChapCom member Andrew Whitworth, and this has worked out very well for
us. To his great credit, Andrew has consistently followed up and
checked in on our progress, been a fantastic sounding-board for ideas,
and served as a helpful mediator between our group and the larger WMF
structures.

I think Andrew's example would be a excellent one to follow.

Thanks,
Pharos

Re: "Expertise" board seats: the NomCom invites your feedback [ In reply to ]
I'm only responding to the following two segments because these appear
to be the only parts where we actually disagree.

On Nov 3, 2008, at 4:33 AM, Michael Bimmler wrote:

>> Writing two sentences is not a solution to a lack of a "chapter
>> approval process" document.
>

> Sorry, here we seem to differ a bit: If I once see a process in the
> Wikimedia world which takes two sentences to describe, then I'm happy.
> The process is as simple as I wrote: Get a group together, write
> bylaws, translate, send in via email. If I use three paragraphs to
> describe this, surely the only thing that can happen is that the
> process becomes more complicated and more formal, and I oppose that.

I'm not talking about length for length's sake. Simply saying "Write
bylaws, send them in english, done" does not cut it as a chapter
approval process because it does not at all discuss what happens after
that point, how ChapCom decides things, by what standard they use to
determine if a chapter should be created and what litmus tests they
use to determine the quantitative values of that, how the WMF actually
approves a chapter, and then what happens next after that. That's all
information that is part of the chapter approval process, and writing
two lines simply fails to address any of that.

>> That can only come from ChapCom or the
>> foundation themselves as they are the ones who approve things. Two
>> years of no public guidelines is unacceptable.
>>

> Yes, zero is not good. But you really failed to convince me why "two
> sentences" are not a solution - honestly, I'd have no idea how to fill
> an entire "chapter approval process" document, we're not using
> scheduling hearings, pre-trial motions, subpoenas and what not here,
> sorry. There is just not that much to write.

See above. I'm referring to the process, not the procedure. I'm not
saying it needs to say "Connect line 4a to form 12b" but it does need
to say the things I mentioned in the paragraph above.

-Dan

Re: "Expertise" board seats: the NomCom invites your feedback [ In reply to ]
Dan Rosenthal wrote:
> On Nov 2, 2008, at 4:32 PM, Michael Bimmler wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 10:12 PM, Dan Rosenthal
>>
>>> WM Canada has been "finishing up by-laws" since March.
>>>
>> Yes. I happen to be on the wikimedia-canada list and, from what I see
>> there, not all too much is going on. See, there is a limited amount of
>> things Chapcom can do: We're always happy to help with advice, and
>> yes, we might need to get more proactive, but we can't "replace a
>> community". Either people are there and willing to do this or they
>> aren0t.
>>
> Nobody's suggesting replacing an community. But what has ChapCom done
> to proactively find out where the WMF Canada chapter is currently at,
> what help they need, what ChapCom can do to speed things up etc?

I had a basic draft of Canadian by-laws at the end of 2007 on Meta,
hoping thar there could be feedback and a consensus built from there.
Instead a self-appointed Ontario steering committee of clueless
dilletantes decided to hijack the process, and write their own by-laws
in a series of chat-room meetings. Their last such meeting was on May
21 I commented extensively at [[meta:Talk:Wikimedia Canada/Proposed
by-laws]] in August, but have not received a single response to these
comment.

The only conclusion that I can draw from that is that during their
school holidays they lost interest. For a Canadian chapter in-person
meetings are mostly impractical, and while there may be some value to an
organizational meeting that brings people together from across the
country the homework of getting together by-laws with a modicum of
acceptibility needs to be done before that.

Ec