Mailing List Archive

Ruling: copyleft licenses mean what they say, no foolin'
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/14/technology/14commons.html

Lessig calls this "huge":

http://lessig.org/blog/2008/08/huge_and_important_news_free_l.html

So if anyone wants to ask sweetly for a GFDL violator to come into
compliance ... you do in fact have a stick as well as a carrot.

- d.

Re: Ruling: copyleft licenses mean what they say, no foolin' [ In reply to ]

Re: Ruling: copyleft licenses mean what they say, no foolin' [ In reply to ]

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/US_Court_of_Appeals_upholds_free_licenses

--
- Andrew Gray
andrew.gray@dunelm.org.uk

Re: Ruling: copyleft licenses mean what they say, no foolin' [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 9:46 PM, David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/14/technology/14commons.html
>
> Lessig calls this "huge":
>
> http://lessig.org/blog/2008/08/huge_and_important_news_free_l.html
>
> So if anyone wants to ask sweetly for a GFDL violator to come into
> compliance ... you do in fact have a stick as well as a carrot.

By the way, somewhere along the opinion, there is a sentence like "The
Wikimedia Foundation, which was also an amicus curiae, said....".

Mike, would it be possible for you to release the WMF's amicus curiae
brief to the public? I would be quite interested in this.

Michael

--
Michael Bimmler
mbimmler@gmail.com

Re: Ruling: copyleft licenses mean what they say, no foolin' [ In reply to ]
Michael Bimmler wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 9:46 PM, David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/14/technology/14commons.html
>>
>> Lessig calls this "huge":
>>
>> http://lessig.org/blog/2008/08/huge_and_important_news_free_l.html
>>
>> So if anyone wants to ask sweetly for a GFDL violator to come into
>> compliance ... you do in fact have a stick as well as a carrot.
>>
> By the way, somewhere along the opinion, there is a sentence like "The
> Wikimedia Foundation, which was also an amicus curiae, said....".
>
> Mike, would it be possible for you to release the WMF's amicus curiae
> brief to the public? I would be quite interested in this.

I believe it's the one at
http://jmri.sourceforge.net/k/docket/cafc-pi-1/ccc_brf.pdf

--Michael Snow

Re: Ruling: copyleft licenses mean what they say, no foolin' [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 12:46 PM, David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/14/technology/14commons.html

I like the part where according to the article, Wikipedia uses the
Creative Commons license. Go John Markoff for making license
compatibility a reality :P

> Lessig calls this "huge":
>
> http://lessig.org/blog/2008/08/huge_and_important_news_free_l.html

Also, huzzah!