Mailing List Archive

Re: Fwd: A wiki where every article is a real medicalcase
Sounds like a recipe for Wikichondria.

-----Original Message-----
From: foundation-l-bounces@lists.wikimedia.org
[mailto:foundation-l-bounces@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of Michael
Bimmler
Sent: 06 May 2008 13:32
To: Wikimedia Foundation Mailing List
Subject: [Foundation-l] Fwd: A wiki where every article is a real
medicalcase

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mikael Häggström <haggstrom.mikael@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, May 6, 2008 at 1:31 PM
Subject: A wiki where every article is a real medical case
To: foundation-l-owner@lists.wikimedia.org

Good day

A proposal of a new Sister Project, called Wikisick is started.

It is a wiki where every article is a real medical case. Basically,
the victims of diseases write the symptoms and upload interactive
media, and any medically interested person describes it.

See proposal details for Wikisick.

Best regards

Mikael Häggström

--
Michael Bimmler
mbimmler@gmail.com

Re: Fwd: A wiki where every article is a realmedicalcase [ In reply to ]
Boy, I have some serious medmal liability issues with this one. I hope
someone's having a lawyer look REALLY closely at it.

Re: Fwd: A wiki where every article is a realmedicalcase [ In reply to ]
Philippe Beaudette wrote:
> Boy, I have some serious medmal liability issues with this one. I hope
> someone's having a lawyer look REALLY closely at it.

When something like this is such a non-starter from the beginning,
consulting lawyers is a redundant act.

Ec

Re: Fwd: A wiki where every article is a realmedicalcase [ In reply to ]
On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 2:30 PM, Ray Saintonge <saintonge@telus.net> wrote:
> Philippe Beaudette wrote:
> >> It is a wiki where every article is a real medical case. Basically,
> >> the victims of diseases write the symptoms and upload interactive
> >> media, and any medically interested person describes it.

I don't understand why people think that they need to create
special-purpose wikis for all sorts of specialized topics? If you want
to talk about medical cases, you could easily do a learning experiment
with it on Wikiversity, or write up case studies in book-form on
Wikibooks. You could create a book "Medical Case Studies" with
hundreds or even thousands of sub-pages for each case. If you're
married to the name "Wikisick", I'm sure you could name it that too.

The point is that we have plenty of space for this and other
single-subject ideas in our existing projects. I would love to see
this idea turn into a successful wikibook or wikiversity course. It's
pointless to make it a separate project, however.

--Andrew Whitworth

Re: Fwd: A wiki where every article is a realmedicalcase [ In reply to ]
I was going to say, this screams potential HIPPA violations (or
the equivalent in different countries, where such a law exists).

-Chad

Re: Fwd: A wiki where every article is a realmedicalcase [ In reply to ]
Andrew Whitworth wrote:

> I don't understand why people think that they need to create
> special-purpose wikis for all sorts of specialized topics? If you want
> to talk about medical cases, you could easily do a learning experiment
> with it on Wikiversity, or write up case studies in book-form on
> Wikibooks. You could create a book "Medical Case Studies" with
> hundreds or even thousands of sub-pages for each case. If you're
> married to the name "Wikisick", I'm sure you could name it that too.
>
> The point is that we have plenty of space for this and other
> single-subject ideas in our existing projects. I would love to see
> this idea turn into a successful wikibook or wikiversity course. It's
> pointless to make it a separate project, however.
>
> --Andrew Whitworth

Hear, hear! I'm always trying to promote Wikibooks, though... and am
not always sure how to direct people so I sometimes fall flat. I think
<http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/WB:NEW> is a good start.

Partially to understand how Wikibooks works, I did collaborate with
Durova to start a particular one [[b:Introduction to crochet]] which can
still use more contributions.

--
Cary Bass
Volunteer Coordinator

Your continued donations keep Wikipedia running! Support the Wikimedia
Foundation today: http://donate.wikimedia.org
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
Phone: 415.839.6885
Fax: 415.882.0495