--
~notafish
http://blog.notanendive.org

Re: [OT] Top posting [ In reply to ]

From that article: "While top-posting is sometimes recommended
against, it is the more common style in business email
correspondence."

Why complain about something that is common practice? With most e-mail
clients, it will take an extra effort to do what you suggest, and I
see no reason to do so.

Mark

Re: [OT] Top posting [ In reply to ]
Especially since nearly all modern email clients have color coding,
indenting, and other ways of distinguishing who posted what in what
order, makind top posting not much of an issue.

-Dan

Re: [OT] Top posting [ In reply to ]
2008/4/30 Mark Williamson <node.ue@gmail.com>:
> From that article: "While top-posting is sometimes recommended
> against, it is the more common style in business email
> correspondence."
>
> Why complain about something that is common practice? With most e-mail
> clients, it will take an extra effort to do what you suggest, and I
> see no reason to do so.

It's common practice when emailing only one person (or maybe a small
handful of people). When emailing a whole mailing list, it's annoying
because it becomes confusing as to what you are actually replying to.

Re: [OT] Top posting [ In reply to ]
It is, however, a serious issue for anyone subscribing to the digest, where
few (if any) mail clients can correctly distinguish the quoted text; as a
result, the digest becomes orders of magnitude longer than it should be. I
recently switched from digest to individual delivery, largely for this
reason, although given the level of noise this has created in my inbox I
doubt if this is sustainable.

I heartily second Delphine's original request. If it does not seem
worthwhile to trim the excess lines from the bottom of a post for the sake
of one's readers (something which takes at most a few seconds), it might be
best to reconsider whether the post is worth sending at all.

Posts to Foundation-L differ from business email, in part, in that this is a
public, not a private, conversation, and a threaded archive is available for
anyone who loses track of individual emails. There are good reasons for
top-posting in business conversations (for example, to maintain a clear
record of the conversation leading up to a particular transaction), but
these do not apply on this list AFAICT.

Cheers,

Sam

Re: [OT] Top posting [ In reply to ]
2008/4/30 Mark Williamson <node.ue@gmail.com>:

> Why complain about something that is common practice? With most e-mail
> clients, it will take an extra effort to do what you suggest, and I
> see no reason to do so.

Yes, because hitting ctrl-end, or even pressing the down-arrow a few
times, is an onerous expectation.

- d.

Re: [OT] Top posting [ In reply to ]
No, I just think it is unreasonable to expect that the many will do
anything to accommodate the requests of the few, especially when
people like myself actually prefer top posting for both reading and
writing.

Mark

Re: [OT] Top posting [ In reply to ]
"Mark Williamson" <node.ue@gmail.com> writes:

> No, I just think it is unreasonable to expect that the many will do
> anything to accommodate the requests of the few, especially when
> people like myself actually prefer top posting for both reading and
> writing.

So since the majority of this list consider you an egocentric jerk,
it's not a problem to say it outright?

--
// Wegge
<http://blog.wegge.dk> - Her hænger jeg også ud.

believed to be clean.

Re: [OT] Top posting [ In reply to ]
Not at all =)

Re: [OT] Top posting [ In reply to ]
...although I don't see what that has to do with the topic.

Re: [OT] Top posting [ In reply to ]
David Gerard wrote:
> 2008/4/30 Mark Williamson <node.ue@gmail.com>:
>
>> Why complain about something that is common practice? With most e-mail
>> clients, it will take an extra effort to do what you suggest, and I
>> see no reason to do so.
>>
> Yes, because hitting ctrl-end, or even pressing the down-arrow a few
> times, is an onerous expectation.
Mark has a point. Stupidity is a common practice; complaining about it
is futile. Attractive as the solution may seem, acting like Daleks would
not be a socially acceptable solution for the problem of top posters. :-)

Ec
.