Mailing List Archive

Election rules modification regarding suffrage issues raised on this list
Based on concerns raised on this list, the elections committee is changing the requirement from "at least 50 edits between April 1, 2008 and June 1, 2008" to "at least 50 edits between January 1, 2008 and June 1, 2008". We hope this will avoid disenfranchising active community members, while ensuring that longtime-inactive users cannot vote on this important current issue.

The relevant election pages will be updated within the next several hours.

Thank you for your considered feedback and input into this very important decision.

For the election committee,
Philippe

Re: Election rules modification regarding suffrage issues raised on this list [ In reply to ]
Philippe Beaudette wrote:
> Based on concerns raised on this list, the elections committee is changing the requirement from "at least 50 edits between April 1, 2008 and June 1, 2008" to "at least 50 edits between January 1, 2008 and June 1, 2008". We hope this will avoid disenfranchising active community members, while ensuring that longtime-inactive users cannot vote on this important current issue.
>
> The relevant election pages will be updated within the next several hours.
>
> Thank you for your considered feedback and input into this very important decision.
>
> For the election committee,
> Philippe

Now I am very confused. Why was this decision "very important"?

What is the vital interest in "ensuring" that long time inactive
editors don't vote? What is the threat scenario there?

Yours;

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen

Re: Election rules modification regarding suffrage issues raised on this list [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 11:41 PM, Philippe Beaudette
<philippebeaudette@gmail.com> wrote:

> Based on concerns raised on this list, the elections committee is changing
> the requirement from "at least 50 edits between April 1, 2008 and June 1,
> 2008" to "at least 50 edits between January 1, 2008 and June 1, 2008". We
> hope this will avoid disenfranchising active community members, while
> ensuring that longtime-inactive users cannot vote on this important current
> issue.

Thanks Philippe & Elections committee for taking our concerns into
consideration and making this change! The new requirement sounds much
more reasonable.

I also agree with Michael's last post that mail to voters + a
sitenotice to try and increase turnout would be a good thing. :) Be
sure to tell your friends who may be off-wiki this year as well.

I note btw that the *candidate* requirements didn't change -- so any
potential candidates need to have been editing this spring. I don't
have a problem with this requirement (community representatives should
probably be active editors), but it does notably exclude "inactive"
members from running, regardless of their former status in the
community or current off-wiki participation (it'd be nice to see a
developer exemption!).

As our community grows and changes, and we try to formalize community
participation in governance in various ways, I think this question
will come up more and more. Once a community member, always a
community member? Is there something special about actively
participating now vs. having actively participated in the past? Does
editing one of the projects make you a member of the Foundation
community? (it's certainly not just posters to foundation-l!) What
*does* make for a community member? I tend to define "the community"
very broadly, but realize others may not...

best,
-- phoebe

Re: Election rules modification regarding suffrage issues raised on this list [ In reply to ]
Hi Phoebe;

We don't quite have a check-in from everyone on the committee yet, but it
appears very likely that candidate requirements are changing as well.

Philippe

Re: Election rules modification regarding suffrage issues raised on this list [ In reply to ]

Re: Election rules modification regarding suffrage issues raised on this list [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 23:24 +0300, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen wrote:

> Now I am very confused. Why was this decision "very important"?

The "important" in the statement was qualifying "current issue", i.e.
Voting for someone to sit on the Board for the following year being an
important issue.

> What is the vital interest in "ensuring" that long time inactive
> editors don't vote? What is the threat scenario there?

In my opinion, I would prefer the decision to elect whoever to sit on
the Board to have come from active community members, rather than
someone who might have been inactive / left for years suddenly coming
back purely to vote for/against someone they like/hate. The decision for
such a criteria by the committee reflected such viewpoints by its
members.

KTC

- Heinrich Heine
Re: Election rules modification regarding suffrage issues raised on this list [ In reply to ]
Kwan Ting Chan wrote:
>> What is the vital interest in "ensuring" that long time inactive
>> editors don't vote? What is the threat scenario there?
>>
> In my opinion, I would prefer the decision to elect whoever to sit on
> the Board to have come from active community members, rather than
> someone who might have been inactive / left for years suddenly coming
> back purely to vote for/against someone they like/hate. The decision for
> such a criteria by the committee reflected such viewpoints by its
> members.

There have always been opposing schools of thought on this issue. Some
people feel that allowing inactive participants to vote allows too much
uninformed voting, because they're presumably less up to speed on the
current situation. Or, it makes the process less resistant to
"sockpuppet" voting by those who aren't truly inactive. Other people
think longstanding but inactive contributors could make more
knowledgeable votes, because they're familiar with more of the history.
And, coming back to vote shows that they still care about Wikimedia,
even though they may not edit. Similar issues are involved in the
question of whether inactive administrators are allowed to retain that
status; different projects have reached different conclusions here,
which is entirely okay.

I gather the election committee has considered such issues, though
people are welcome to raise them again to ensure the committee has made
an informed judgment here. If this remains in place, I might mention
that inactive contributors could still have the ability to participate
in selecting the board through, dare I say it - chapters, where their
membership would not lapse on account of failure to edit. Indeed, one
reason to integrate chapters into the process is to provide more
alternatives for people to maintain their connection to the community.

--Michael Snow

Re: Election rules modification regarding suffrage issues raised on this list [ In reply to ]
2008/4/29 Philippe Beaudette <philippebeaudette@gmail.com>:
> Based on concerns raised on this list, the elections committee is changing the requirement from "at least 50 edits between April 1, 2008 and June 1, 2008" to "at least 50 edits between January 1, 2008 and June 1, 2008". We hope this will avoid disenfranchising active community members, while ensuring that longtime-inactive users cannot vote on this important current issue.
>
> The relevant election pages will be updated within the next several hours.
>
> Thank you for your considered feedback and input into this very important decision.

Dear ElecCom,

Thankyou for listening to concerns raised, and your prompt response on
this point.

Brianna

http://modernthings.org/

Re: Election rules modification regarding suffrage issues raised on this list [ In reply to ]
From: "Michael Snow" <wikipedia@verizon.net>

> Kwan Ting Chan wrote:
>>Jussi wrote:
>>> What is the vital interest in "ensuring" that long time inactive
>>> editors don't vote? What is the threat scenario there?
>>>
>> In my opinion, I would prefer the decision to elect whoever to sit on
>> the Board to have come from active community members, rather than
>> someone who might have been inactive / left for years suddenly coming
>> back purely to vote for/against someone they like/hate. The decision for
>> such a criteria by the committee reflected such viewpoints by its
>> members.
>>
> There have always been opposing schools of thought on this issue. Some
> people feel that allowing inactive participants to vote allows too much
> uninformed voting, because they're presumably less up to speed on the
> current situation. Or, it makes the process less resistant to
> "sockpuppet" voting by those who aren't truly inactive. Other people
> think longstanding but inactive contributors could make more
> knowledgeable votes, because they're familiar with more of the history.
> And, coming back to vote shows that they still care about Wikimedia,
> even though they may not edit. Similar issues are involved in the
> question of whether inactive administrators are allowed to retain that
> status; different projects have reached different conclusions here,
> which is entirely okay.
>
> I gather the election committee has considered such issues, though
> people are welcome to raise them again to ensure the committee has made
> an informed judgment here. If this remains in place, I might mention
> that inactive contributors could still have the ability to participate
> in selecting the board through, dare I say it - chapters, where their
> membership would not lapse on account of failure to edit. Indeed, one
> reason to integrate chapters into the process is to provide more
> alternatives for people to maintain their connection to the community.
>
> --Michael Snow

I believe that Michael's email clearly describes the thought process that
the election committee went through. Indeed, we talked those issues over,
in almost exactly those terms. I can also speak for the previous year's
election committee (and I think safely infer for the year before that) when
I say that suffrage requirements are usually one of the very first (and most
tumultuous) conversations that an election committee has. BOLD, UNDERLINE,
ITALICIZE, and FLASHING TEXT: We take very seriously the question of who may
vote. It is not a decision entered into lightly, and I have an immense
amount of respect for the work that my colleagues this year (and last year)
and previous election committees put into it. No one has entered the
discussion without a great deal of pre-formed thought and the rules as they
stand now are the product of a great deal of negotiation and concession on
the part of all parties involved.

This year's rules don't represent 100% of what ANY single member of the
committee wanted. I daresay they don't represent what any member of the
COMMUNITY wants 100%. Rather, they are - we believe - an appropriate
distillation of the "ideals" of all into a situation that is workable for
all.

We're always open to feedback, but as of now we think that we have a set of
rules that appropriately address the feelings of the committee and the
community at large although there will always be situations that are
contentious. No set of rules is perfect for everyone; we believe these
rules are the best compilation to reflect the feelings of the millions of
people in the community at this time.

Philippe

Re: Election rules modification regarding suffrage issues raised on this list [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 8:41 AM, Philippe Beaudette
<philippebeaudette@gmail.com> wrote:
> Based on concerns raised on this list, the elections committee is changing the requirement from "at least 50 edits between April 1, 2008 and June 1, 2008" to "at least 50 edits between January 1, 2008 and June 1, 2008". We hope this will avoid disenfranchising active community members, while ensuring that longtime-inactive users cannot vote on this important current issue.
>
> The relevant election pages will be updated within the next several hours.
>
> Thank you for your considered feedback and input into this very important decision.

Just as a matter of clarity. Can the 50 edits be spread across
different projects?
Do internal wikis count?

I'm just afraid I'm not gonna have the required number of edits on any
one wiki. And I consider myself kind of "up to date" to be allowed to
vote.

Delphine
--
~notafish
http://blog.notanendive.org

Re: Election rules modification regarding suffrage issues raised on this list [ In reply to ]
On Wed, April 30, 2008 16:39, Delphine Ménard wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 8:41 AM, Philippe Beaudette
> <philippebeaudette@gmail.com> wrote:
>>"at least 50 edits between January 1, 2008 and June 1, 2008".
> I'm just afraid I'm not gonna have the required number of edits on any
> one wiki. And I consider myself kind of "up to date" to be allowed to
> vote.

Given that, unusually where suffrage is being determined, the closing date
for the required level of activity is still over a month away (rather than
in the past), and that no differentiation is made between minor wikignome
edits and major copyedit rewrites, then I would expect *anyone* who wanted
to ensure their ability to vote would be able to do so by finding 50
spelling and / or grammar mistakes. ie, imho, not a difficult hurdle to
leap by any stretch of the imagination.

Alison Wheeler

Re: Election rules modification regarding suffrage issues raised on this list [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 6:22 PM, Alison Wheeler
<wikimedia@alisonwheeler.com> wrote:
> On Wed, April 30, 2008 16:39, Delphine Ménard wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 8:41 AM, Philippe Beaudette
> > <philippebeaudette@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>"at least 50 edits between January 1, 2008 and June 1, 2008".
> > I'm just afraid I'm not gonna have the required number of edits on any
> > one wiki. And I consider myself kind of "up to date" to be allowed to
> > vote.
>
> Given that, unusually where suffrage is being determined, the closing date
> for the required level of activity is still over a month away (rather than
> in the past), and that no differentiation is made between minor wikignome
> edits and major copyedit rewrites, then I would expect *anyone* who wanted
> to ensure their ability to vote would be able to do so by finding 50
> spelling and / or grammar mistakes. ie, imho, not a difficult hurdle to
> leap by any stretch of the imagination.

I had a short moment of 'panic' when the original election notice was
posted and I saw that I had only about 35 edits on the English
Wikipedia since March 1 (I'm hardly active on the German Wikipedia
anyway...)

It took me less than half an hour of Recent Changes patrolling
(without any of the magic tools such as VandalProof that make the
usual patrollers' life easier) to get more than enough edits and I can
only recommend it...kind of take you back to the basics ;-)

Michael

--
Michael Bimmler
mbimmler@gmail.com

Re: Election rules modification regarding suffrage issues raised on this list [ In reply to ]
> On Wed, April 30, 2008 16:39, Delphine M?nard wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 8:41 AM, Philippe Beaudette
>> <philippebeaudette@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>"at least 50 edits between January 1, 2008 and June 1, 2008".
>> I'm just afraid I'm not gonna have the required number of edits on any
>> one wiki. And I consider myself kind of "up to date" to be allowed to
>> vote.
>
> Given that, unusually where suffrage is being determined, the closing date
> for the required level of activity is still over a month away (rather than
> in the past), and that no differentiation is made between minor wikignome
> edits and major copyedit rewrites, then I would expect *anyone* who wanted
> to ensure their ability to vote would be able to do so by finding 50
> spelling and / or grammar mistakes. ie, imho, not a difficult hurdle to
> leap by any stretch of the imagination.
>
> Alison Wheeler

Or wikification of Incubator articles on any active project would also do
the job. And this is the work which is badly needed anyway.

Cheers
Yaroslav

Re: Election rules modification regarding suffrage issues raised on this list [ In reply to ]
Practically speaking its true that qualifying for the edit requirement is
pretty easy... But having to do so means that whatever your current
activities are they are insufficient to make you a voting 'member of the
community.'

Requiring developers or folks whose contributions don't translate well into
simple edit requirements to jump through hoops to be considered "one of us"
is not good even if the hoops are placed nice and low.

Nathan

Re: Election rules modification regarding suffrage issues raised on this list [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Delphine Ménard <notafishz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 8:41 AM, Philippe Beaudette
> <philippebeaudette@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Based on concerns raised on this list, the elections committee is changing the requirement from "at least 50 edits between April 1, 2008 and June 1, 2008" to "at least 50 edits between January 1, 2008 and June 1, 2008". We hope this will avoid disenfranchising active community members, while ensuring that longtime-inactive users cannot vote on this important current issue.
> >
> > The relevant election pages will be updated within the next several hours.
> >
> > Thank you for your considered feedback and input into this very important decision.
>
> Just as a matter of clarity. Can the 50 edits be spread across
> different projects?
> Do internal wikis count?
>
> I'm just afraid I'm not gonna have the required number of edits on any
> one wiki. And I consider myself kind of "up to date" to be allowed to
> vote.

(unofficial comment) In previous years, the election committee/medium
has allowed voting from external wikis. I would be surprised if they
didn't this year.

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: Election rules modification regarding suffrage issues raised on this list [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 6:53 PM, Casey Brown <cbrown1023.ml@gmail.com> wrote:
> (unofficial comment) In previous years, the election committee/medium
> has allowed voting from external wikis. I would be surprised if they
> didn't this year.

erm, make that internal.

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.

Re: Election rules modification regarding suffrage issues raised on this list [ In reply to ]
On 30/04/2008, Delphine Ménard <notafishz@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just as a matter of clarity. Can the 50 edits be spread across
> different projects?
> Do internal wikis count?
>
> I'm just afraid I'm not gonna have the required number of edits on any
> one wiki. And I consider myself kind of "up to date" to be allowed to
> vote.
>

> Delphine

Delphine - it's seriously not difficult to get 50 edits. I myself have made
over 1000 in one hour just on recent changes patrol. 50 edits is tiny, and
considering all the tools available, it really shouldn't be very difficult
to get 50 edits.

--
Alex (Majorly)

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Majorly
Re: Election rules modification regarding suffrage issues raised on this list [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 4:04 PM, Majorly <axel9891@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 30/04/2008, Delphine Ménard <notafishz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Just as a matter of clarity. Can the 50 edits be spread across
> > different projects?
> > Do internal wikis count?
> >
> > I'm just afraid I'm not gonna have the required number of edits on any
> > one wiki. And I consider myself kind of "up to date" to be allowed to
> > vote.
> >

> > Delphine
> >

> Delphine - it's seriously not difficult to get 50 edits. I myself have made
> over 1000 in one hour just on recent changes patrol. 50 edits is tiny, and
> considering all the tools available, it really shouldn't be very difficult
> to get 50 edits.

Well, I just took an hour to make 18 edits ;) But then, I was doing
research to source a biography. I have been known to take an hour to
make just one or two edits, doing the same kind of work. 50 edits may
or may not be a lot of work, depending on just what it is you're doing
onwiki and how familiar you are with the tools.

Generally, editcountitis is a fairly poor measure of community
participation -- it's just the only readily accessible metric we've
got. Nathan said it very well up-thread -- people whose contributions
don't translate into edits shouldn't be penalized. It seems pretty
obvious to me that Delphine, and the volunteer sysadmins, and others
in a similar position are clearly community members and should clearly
have the right to vote regardless of their RC patrolling skills. It
seems like there's a few classes of exceptions that could be easily
made in the election rules without over-compromising the process;
developers and sysadmins are the people that have come up the most so
far.

Regardless, thanks to the election committee for explaining your
reasoning on the matter.

-- phoebe

Re: Election rules modification regarding suffrage issues raised on this list [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 6:48 PM, phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki@gmail.com> wrote:

> 50 edits may or may not be a lot of work, depending on just what it is
> you're doing

For example, I have yet to port the following article to Wikipedia, and by
the time I do, it will be a finished product which nets me 1 or 2 edits. I'm
not the only one who edits in this manner.

http://grey.colorado.edu/emergent/index.php/Comparison_of_Neural_Network_Simulators
Re: Election rules modification regarding suffrage issues raised on this list [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 12:39 AM, Delphine Ménard <notafishz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 8:41 AM, Philippe Beaudette
> <philippebeaudette@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Based on concerns raised on this list, the elections committee is changing the requirement from "at least 50 edits between April 1, 2008 and June 1, 2008" to "at least 50 edits between January 1, 2008 and June 1, 2008". We hope this will avoid disenfranchising active community members, while ensuring that longtime-inactive users cannot vote on this important current issue.
> >
> > The relevant election pages will be updated within the next several hours.
> >
> > Thank you for your considered feedback and input into this very important decision.
>
> Just as a matter of clarity. Can the 50 edits be spread across
> different projects?
> Do internal wikis count?

I think it is worthy to note: last year we had at least one employee
who had voting eligibility only in this way before "employee clause"
was introduced. She had 400+ edits on internal wiki.

> I'm just afraid I'm not gonna have the required number of edits on any
> one wiki. And I consider myself kind of "up to date" to be allowed to
> vote.

I expect you are eligible to vote regardless with your edit counts,
but I am not sure this year employee clause is extended to contractors
/ oversee employees. Further explanation will be useful.

> Delphine
> --
> ~notafish
> http://blog.notanendive.org

> to this address will probably get lost.

KIZU Naoko
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)

Re: Election rules modification regarding suffrage issues raised on this list [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 8:04 AM, Majorly <axel9891@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 30/04/2008, Delphine Ménard <notafishz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Just as a matter of clarity. Can the 50 edits be spread across
> > different projects?
> > Do internal wikis count?
> >
> > I'm just afraid I'm not gonna have the required number of edits on any
> > one wiki. And I consider myself kind of "up to date" to be allowed to
> > vote.
> >

> > Delphine
> >

> Delphine - it's seriously not difficult to get 50 edits.

It depends, and it is not same for you and her. You have no kid, and
can afford more time, for example.

Too much personalization like "it is not hard because it is easy for
me" is no good argument. She lives her own life, and you your own. And
we each are invididual whose life cannot completely exchangeable.

dit eI myself have made

Re: Election rules modification regarding suffrage issues raised on this list [ In reply to ]
(unofficial comment too)

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 7:53 AM, Casey Brown <cbrown1023.ml@gmail.com> wrote:
> (unofficial comment) In previous years, the election committee/medium
> has allowed voting from external wikis. I would be surprised if they
> didn't this year.

No external wikis of WMF were allowed to vote. Private wikis which WMF
ran are. Private wikis are not necessarily "external".

Re: Election rules modification regarding suffrage issues raised on this list [ In reply to ]
Brian <Brian.Mingus@colorado.edu> wrote:

>> 50 edits may or may not be a lot of work, depending on just what it is
>> you're doing

> For example, I have yet to port the following article to Wikipedia, and by
> the time I do, it will be a finished product which nets me 1 or 2 edits. I'm
> not the only one who edits in this manner.

> http://grey.colorado.edu/emergent/index.php/Comparison_of_Neural_Network_Simulators

JFTR: I (and probably some others as well) appreciate that
behaviour very much as it keeps recent changes and watch
lists nice and tidy and shows that the editor has looked at
the article as an article and not as a concatenation of
words.

Tim