Mailing List Archive

list traffic decline
David, fair points. Moreover, these stats are for amusement purposes only,
and tell little more than the email-prone nature of the community, since
almost all meaningful interchange on any projects this size take place
on-wiki. There's at least two orders of magnitude more traffic through
on-wiki fora and pages, which would be more worth investigating.

wikispecies : last real post by Brianna, may 2007. (2k/mo, mid-2006)
wikiquote : 3k/mo (slight decline since founding, mid-2006)
wiktionary : 3k/mo (30k/mo, mid-2005)
wikibooks: 7k/mo (40k/mo, mid-2003; later peak at 20k/mo, mid-2006)
(textbook-l)
wikiversity : 20k/mo (back at peak, similar traffic on its founding, late
2006)
wikinews : 20k/mo (30k/mo, late 2007, after a long decline)
commons : 30k/mo (100k/mo, late 2007)
wiki-
de: 20k/mo (300k/mo from 2004 to early 2005)
fr: 15k/mo (100k/mo in late 2005/early 2006)
ja: 60k/mo (90k/mo in fall 2007)
pl: 125k/mo (200+k/mo in late 2004/2005)
it: 10k/mo (40k/mo in late 2005/2006)
nl: 5k/mo (12k/mo in early 2007)
sv: ?
pt: ?

wiki-research-l : 25k/mo (at peak)
pywikipedia-l : 200k/mo (steady since founding in August 2007)
mediawiki-l : 150k/mo (250k/mo, late 2005 to late 2007)
mediawiki-cvs : 9MB/mo (at peak)

Re: list traffic decline [ In reply to ]
Thank you for making stats, Sj. Interesting.

A thing we may take into consideration is the younger generation (I
mean early 30s or younger) seems not to be fond of emails today. They
rather seem to prefer other online message ways in their personal
communication: twitter, FB message, Google chat, skype chat (and
call), etc etc. If people don't use traditional ways like mail in
general, they may not use mailing lists either. I'd like to compare
your stats with USENET traffic stats (note: Wikimedia mailinglist on
Gmane is archived in the same fashion of USENET groups) in the same
timespan, if available.

KIZU Naoko
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)

Re: list traffic decline [ In reply to ]
Samuel Klein ha scritto:
> wiki-
> de: 20k/mo (300k/mo from 2004 to early 2005)
> fr: 15k/mo (100k/mo in late 2005/early 2006)
> ja: 60k/mo (90k/mo in fall 2007)
> pl: 125k/mo (200+k/mo in late 2004/2005)
> it: 10k/mo (40k/mo in late 2005/2006)
> nl: 5k/mo (12k/mo in early 2007)
> sv: ?
> pt: ?

Concerning the Italian language mailing list, one of the reasons of the
decline is the formation of the national chapter; a large share of the
posts to the list have moved to the chapter mailing list - most of the
people active on wikiit-l are members anyway; I appealed once for having
it.wikipedia relevant posts on wikiit-l, but it's often hard to draw a
line for what concerns the wiki and what concerns the chapter - really
wiki-specific things are on the village pump anyway. This won't
necessary apply to other languages spoken in more than one country
(Italian-speaking Swiss are less than 1% of the population of Italy),
but even wikipedia-l posts have now moved to foundation-l (including
many flames).
> wiki-research-l : 25k/mo (at peak)
> pywikipedia-l : 200k/mo (steady since founding in August 2007)
> mediawiki-l : 150k/mo (250k/mo, late 2005 to late 2007)
> mediawiki-cvs : 9MB/mo (at peak)

I don't know about the other lists, but most posts on pywikipedia-l are
machine generated (new versions of the bot), so it is hard to judge its
performance.

Cruccone