Mailing List Archive

Re: Wikimedia Projects Growth Animated [ In reply to ]
Hello,

> I do lots of cluster computing, and offered my cluster to Erik, but
> his job
> can't be run that way. I also have jobs that are very difficult to
> run on a
> cluster, such as computing en.WP's pagerank (this can be done with the
> Parallel Boost Graph Library, but are you guys really going to
> install MPI
> and PBS/Maui?). I image there are lots more.

Well, I expect that not every paralleled computing needs real-time
clustering libs, merely properly queueing jobs and handling them
could be enough.
Pity that Erik's task is that resource hungry.

> how long does it take?). You'll have to have a Large Instance ($.40
> per
> instance hour) to run the stats job which is four times more
> expensive than
> the small instance.

Well, one can use node-local storage, and handle just uncompressed
stream, instead of placing complete uncompressed dump on file system
or even S3.
Anyway, I do not know exact costs. Last time I was looking at S3-for-
wikipedia, the costs were far too high.

Was just simply thinking, that we could go into grid direction, if
tasks were actually grid-able :)
We just really don't seem to have spare cycles for dedicating high-
capacity nodes.

Now, should we buy one? Foundation hasn't been into scientific
computing & number crunching so far, so that would mean entering
slightly other domain.

--
Domas Mituzas -- http://dammit.lt/ -- [[user:midom]]

Re: Wikimedia Projects Growth Animated [ In reply to ]

> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 2:46 PM, Domas Mituzas <midom.lists@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> Now, should we buy one? Foundation hasn't been into scientific
> computing & number crunching so far, so that would mean entering
> slightly other domain.
>
> --
> Domas Mituzas -- http://dammit.lt/ -- [[user:midom]]

The answer to that question is..YES! :) Being more open and inviting to all
researchers is well within the Foundation's mission and will directly
benefit the projects. As an example, I recently read an NLP paper where the
researchers were able to automatically fill in missing information in
infoboxes based on article content. It's probably not a good idea to do this
fully automatically, but projects have had scripts for some time now that
detected spelling errors and the like and guided editors through the process
of updating them if it's actually appropriate. The Foundation really ought
to have some sort of outreach position that *proactively* sought these
researchers out, let them know that if they could package up their compute
job and provide an api/interface that there was a place it could be run and
(potentially) directly benefit Wikipedia. After all, they already did the
hard part of conducting state of the art research and implementing it! The
Toolserver can act in this function in a limited fashion, but it's really
not suited for folks who think in terms of the entire dataset.

Here's that particular paper. I found it on the DBPedia list.

Fei Wu, Daniel S. Weld, 2008. Automatically Refining the
> Wikipedia Infobox Ontology, in the 17th International World Wide
> Web Conference, (WWW-08), Beijing, China, April, 2008.
> See http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/wufei/papers/www08.pdf

And keep in mind that it is just one of many.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_in_academic_studies

There is much for growth here, as in all areas.
Re: Wikimedia Projects Growth Animated [ In reply to ]
On 26/03/2008, Brian <Brian.Mingus@colorado.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 2:46 PM, Domas Mituzas <midom.lists@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> > Now, should we buy one? Foundation hasn't been into scientific
> > computing & number crunching so far, so that would mean entering
> > slightly other domain.

> The answer to that question is..YES! :) Being more open and inviting to all
> researchers is well within the Foundation's mission and will directly
> benefit the projects.

It would probably be cheaper to ask a university to sponsor a compute
server for us. It wouldn't be that hard to talk them into paying for a
box for us with buckets of RAM and buckets of CPU and a nice press
release saying how much we like them and their name on pages served up
from the server.

Or get IBM to spot us an iSeries and five years' service ...

- d.

Re: Wikimedia Projects Growth Animated [ In reply to ]
You can always ask them...

Re: Wikimedia Projects Growth Animated [ In reply to ]
On 26/03/2008, Florence Devouard <Anthere9@yahoo.com> wrote:

> What I find very interesting is to see that most projects follow the
> same pattern of growth; so, by far, most bubbles stick together, except
> for an occasional freely-willed bubble.

You may just be seeing an artefact of the logarithmic vertical scale -
does "a factor of 10" count as sticking together?

- d.

Wikimedia Projects Growth Animated [ In reply to ]
>> What I find very interesting is to see that most projects follow the
>> same pattern of growth; so, by far, most bubbles stick together, except
>> for an occasional freely-willed bubble.

> You may just be seeing an artefact of the logarithmic vertical scale -
> does "a factor of 10" count as sticking together?

Of course a logarithmic scale tends to mask 'nuances', precisely because it
squeezes widely diverging values.

As Brion already explained:
"A logarithmic scale is basically the only way you're going to see the
smaller ones at all --
on a linear scale they'd be totally dwarfed by the few biggest."

On second thought, why not have both? You can now switch between lineair and
logarithmic scale.
And in lineair mode you can resize the vertical scale so that smaller
projects can be followed.
New version for now as Firefox 3 interactive version only. Not yet recorded
as Flash.

http://infodisiac.com/Wikipedia/Wikistats/AnimationProjectsGrowthWp.html

Erik Zachte

Re: Wikimedia Projects Growth Animated [ In reply to ]
> Of course a logarithmic scale tends to mask 'nuances', precisely because it
> squeezes widely diverging values.

Well, it masks nuances for large values and extenuates them for small values.

> On second thought, why not have both? You can now switch between lineair and
> logarithmic scale.

Problem solved!