Mailing List Archive

Re: Exemption Doctrine Policy (coordination)
Hello Cheol Ryu

Thank you for working on this. Since it is a legal consideration, I
recommand you contact Mike Godwin on the matter.

Also, if someone feels like it, would not it be a great idea to start a
meta page, to list all projects and all languages, and for each of them,
indicate whether they have an EDP, nor not. If they do, whether it has
been reviewed, or not. And yeah, a link to the EDP.

I guess if someone felt like building the raw page, all projects could
go there and update their own information. The other benefit would be
for languages and projects to "compare" their own EDP and got inspired
by it.

Anyone ?

Ant

Re: Exemption Doctrine Policy (coordination) [ In reply to ]
I will do so shortly at Projects and EDP.

Re: Exemption Doctrine Policy (coordination) [ In reply to ]
There is now a page at < http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Non-free_content >.

--
Yours cordially,
Jesse Plamondon-Willard (Pathoschild)

Re: Exemption Doctrine Policy (coordination) [ In reply to ]
Jesse Martin (Pathoschild) napsal(a):
> There is now a page at < http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Non-free_content >.

I think the page should be a bit reorganized - in its current state,
it's difficult to find a project or find out whether the EDP's been
confirmed or if a project's even in that table. I'll work on making it
hopefully a bit more useful. Also, shouldn't we contact projects who
haven't listed their EDP on that page yet on their village pumps? If so,
I'll be glad to do it, I like this multiproject wikignomey kind of work :)

I think we should pay more attention to projects' license policies, it's
currently past the date set as a deadline for deleting non-free non-EDP
content and we have no idea which projects have already deleted the
images and which will need to be noticed about it in some way. (Also,
any proposal on how to enforce the policy yet?)

Michal Zlatkovsky [[m:User:Timichal]]

Re: Exemption Doctrine Policy (coordination) [ In reply to ]
Jesse Martin (Pathoschild) wrote:
> There is now a page at < http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Non-free_content >.

Yeah !
Just ask for something and it magically already exists !
Great !

I would recommand all editors on the Foundation list to have a check and
see where their favorite project stands. Help complete the page. Remind
projects that they should take a position.

Example: On the french wikipedia, I note

Copyrighted content prohibited, but exceptions for logotypes, coats of
arms, stamps and money.

That looks like an EDP to me. But why is it in prohibited then ? Why is
no EDP described since it is exactly what it is ?

Ant

Re: Exemption Doctrine Policy (coordination) [ In reply to ]
--- Michal Zlatkovsky <lahcimit@gmail.com> wrote:

(Also,
> any proposal on how to enforce the policy yet?)

Education of the community at one extreme and
gracefully allowing them obtain their images for a
fork at other.

I don't think there has been any comprehensive
notification on the wiki's about this deadline. So it
is important to start from the assumption that a
community has no idea about the issue at all and the
procede from there. Hopefully they will say, "Yes we
knew that and we have done X, Y, and Z about it". But
it is better to be corrected in that direction than to
start off asking them why certain images are still not
deleted in April, only to find out they were not aware
of the deadline.

Birgitte SB

Re: Exemption Doctrine Policy (coordination) [ In reply to ]
Birgitte SB napsal(a):
> --- Michal Zlatkovsky <lahcimit@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> (Also,
>
>> any proposal on how to enforce the policy yet?)
>>

> Education of the community at one extreme and
> gracefully allowing them obtain their images for a
> fork at other.
>
> I don't think there has been any comprehensive
> notification on the wiki's about this deadline. So it
> is important to start from the assumption that a
> community has no idea about the issue at all and the
> procede from there. Hopefully they will say, "Yes we
> knew that and we have done X, Y, and Z about it". But
> it is better to be corrected in that direction than to
> start off asking them why certain images are still not
> deleted in April, only to find out they were not aware
> of the deadline.

I started posting notes at projects' village pump, asking them about
their EDP (whether they have one and if so, to describe it at meta).
That way we should know how far the communities are - so far, I found
out eowiki community doesn't even know about the resolution and I think
they're not the only ones.

By the way, I think this is a great opportunity to inform small projects
about Commons and offer them to use commons-only uploads... I'll
definitely try to do that :)

Michal Zlatkovsky [[m:User:Timichal]]

Re: Exemption Doctrine Policy (coordination) [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 1:42 PM, Michal Zlatkovsky <lahcimit@gmail.com> wrote:
> I started posting notes at projects' village pump, asking them about
> their EDP (whether they have one and if so, to describe it at meta).
> That way we should know how far the communities are - so far, I found
> out eowiki community doesn't even know about the resolution and I think
> they're not the only ones.
>
> By the way, I think this is a great opportunity to inform small projects
> about Commons and offer them to use commons-only uploads... I'll
> definitely try to do that :)
>
> Michal Zlatkovsky [[m:User:Timichal]]

When resolution got published, it was said Foudnation would assist
wikis drafting them.

Wikiquote is a particular case (since most wikiquotes rely heavily on
nonfree content) and it was asked 2 or 3 times on mailing list over
the past year if foundation could give a hand and always the answer
was "each wiki must craft their own" and left in the cold

Good to know that now that the deadline is approaching, it's finally
getting the attention

Re: Exemption Doctrine Policy (coordination) [ In reply to ]
As Douglas Adams said, "I love deadlines... Especially the whooshing sound
they make as they fly past".

The deadline was yesterday.

Brian McNeil

Re: Exemption Doctrine Policy (coordination) [ In reply to ]
On 24/03/2008, Pedro Sanchez <pdsanchez@gmail.com> wrote:
> When resolution got published, it was said Foudnation would assist
> wikis drafting them.
>
> Wikiquote is a particular case (since most wikiquotes rely heavily on
> nonfree content) and it was asked 2 or 3 times on mailing list over
> the past year if foundation could give a hand and always the answer
> was "each wiki must craft their own" and left in the cold
>
> Good to know that now that the deadline is approaching, it's finally
> getting the attention

Eh I suspect you are hitting the issue that regardless of any
foundation statements most of our copyright issues are dealt with by
enthusiastic amateurs. Most will have been working on trying to meet
the deadline on their home wikis. Now the deadline has passed they can
start to look at the situation on other wikis.

--
geni

Re: Exemption Doctrine Policy (coordination) [ In reply to ]
I look at the situation on other wikis, and I found that a few wikis
adopted their EDP already. I don't understand why Korean wiki had to
wait for the review of the foundation. If we finished drafting our own
EDP, then we can resolute to adopt as a license policy as well as
other wikis? Please let me know.

-Cheol

Re: Exemption Doctrine Policy (coordination) [ In reply to ]
Brian McNeil wrote:
> As Douglas Adams said, "I love deadlines... Especially the whooshing sound
> they make as they fly past".
>
> The deadline was yesterday.
The more frequently we extend the deadline the more frequently the
connoisseurs will have the opportunity to hear that music. :-)

Ec