http://blog.citizendium.org/2008/03/22/a-plea-to-liberate-educational-content/

This is IMO something we could and should be doing already.

- d.

Re: Sanger: Free the content [ In reply to ]
On 23/03/2008, David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://blog.citizendium.org/2008/03/22/a-plea-to-liberate-educational-content/
>
> This is IMO something we could and should be doing already.
>

> - d.

South Korea has something that has pretty much that effect in dead
tree form built into it's copyright law (very liberal copying for
educational use allowed). I believe they are planning to change it.
--
geni

Re: Sanger: Free the content [ In reply to ]
geni wrote:
> On 23/03/2008, David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> http://blog.citizendium.org/2008/03/22/a-plea-to-liberate-educational-content/
>>
>> This is IMO something we could and should be doing already.
>>
> South Korea has something that has pretty much that effect in dead
> tree form built into it's copyright law (very liberal copying for
> educational use allowed). I believe they are planning to change it.

There are two ways where that can go, depending on who is influencing them.

Ec

Re: Sanger: Free the content [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
We are doing this. We might even be more successful at it without some
people's constant urge to bicker about if we can accept the donations that
come without strings like our dear friend Danny does not stop doing. Because
of this drama queen, some donors are likely to say that the WMF is stooped
in controversy and not help us with our funding. His need for attention does
imho only hamper the WMF in its fund raising activities. I would not be
surprised if he has already cost us more money then what he organised while
working for the WMF as a fund raiser.
Thanks,
GerardM

Re: Sanger: Free the content [ In reply to ]
Please don't post completely off-topic ad hominem attacks. Your post had
nothing whatever to do with the content of this thread, and was just a
generalized rant that if it weren't for that damn Danny Wool [*shakes
fist*] we'd have solved everything by now. This is tiresome.

-Mark

Re: Sanger: Free the content [ In reply to ]
David Gerard wrote:
> http://blog.citizendium.org/2008/03/22/a-plea-to-liberate-educational-content/
>
> This is IMO something we could and should be doing already.
I very much agree, and my view is not altered by the fact of who is
expressing it.

It has taken a long time for the eduction system to recognize that
Wikipedia contains valid information, and that acceptance is still not
uniform in all countries, districts and schools.

I've raised the point with teachers before, but there appears to be an
unwillingness for them to get together on a wiki of their own to build
common lesson plans. They claim it would be too much work to develop
this themselves; they fail to look beyond that to see that very little
effort on their individual parts would have a very big payback.

We also need to avoid using copyrights as a tool for self-flagellation.
We could probably be more pro-active in our interpretations, without
going through some of silly overdependance on fair use arguments.

As Larry said improving quality is also very important, and quality will
be best measured by what we add than by what we subtract.

Ec