Mailing List Archive

Re: Advertisements? [ In reply to ]
True such a review may work but my concern is one sneaky one slipping by.
Human error happens and even if such a thing happens once its implications
would be quite severe. I was not suggesting advertisements would completely
go nuts. :)

Re: Advertisements? [ In reply to ]
You kinda got me concerned when you said "pops up" but then I read the rest
of the sentence. It also got me thinking.

Pop-up ads would be better than in-line adds. Granted more annoying but
would be less of a compromise from NPOV. Basicaly we would cover the screen
with the ford logo rather than put the ford logo in the middle of the page.

- White Cat

Re: Advertisements? [ In reply to ]

> During the next 3-10 years I expect to see Wikipedia's monopoly on
> collaboratively written internet encyclopedias to be significantly eroded by
> serious competitors. In my opinion, a commercial fork is a likely avenue
> for such competition (though not the only one). How well we withstand that
> competition is likely to depend on the capability and flexibility of the WMF
> team being assembled now. I'd like to see the WMF as the dominant player in
> collaborative knowledge creation and sharing going into the indefinite
> future, but given that the WMF has no ownership of content, I would say that
> this is far from a sure thing. I don't think that Wikipedia would ever be
> wiped out by competitors, but it isn't that hard for me to imagine scenarios
> in which Wikipedia loses the bulk of the traffic and importance it has
> today.
>
> -Robert Rohde

This is actually a great point that we should take very seriously.

Kul

Kul Takanao Wadhwa
Head of Business Development
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
kul@wikimedia.org
(415) 839-6885 ext. 603

Re: Advertisements? [ In reply to ]
I'm interested in hearing more concrete details (lacking in Rohde's post)
about why exactly this is a point we should take very seriously.

Re: Advertisements? [ In reply to ]
I agree. Pop up ads would be better than inline ads.

Re: Advertisements? [ In reply to ]
As far as the brain concerned they are no different. See [[Priming
(psychology)]].

Re: Advertisements? [ In reply to ]
On 21/03/2008, Geoffrey Plourde <geo.plrd@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I agree. Pop up ads would be better than inline ads.

If the only way to have adverts is to have pop-ups, then we shouldn't
have adverts. Forcing your user to actively get rid of the advert if
they want to read the article is very bad - adverts should be out of
the way where users can look at them if they want and ignore them if
they want.

Re: Advertisements? [ In reply to ]
It wouldn't be malicious popups obviously.

I whole heartedly hate the idea of advertisements on wikipedia but if we are
going to have ads they should not be inline ones. Popups are easier to deal
with than flashy in line ads.

Re: Advertisements? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 10:50 PM, White Cat
<wikipedia.kawaii.neko@gmail.com> wrote:
> It wouldn't be malicious popups obviously.
>
> I whole heartedly hate the idea of advertisements on wikipedia but if we are
> going to have ads they should not be inline ones. Popups are easier to deal
> with than flashy in line ads.

I dont think i necessarily agree with this. Some inline ads would not
be entirely unacceptable. All ads should be text-based (not blinking
animated gifs, not flash, nothing with audio, etc). Ads should be
relegated to a very specific section of the page where there will not
be any confusion as to their origin, and where they will not
immediately interfere with the user interface. I think that we will
put so many restrictions on them that advertisers may not find it
profitable to put ads on our site anyway. restricted text-based ads
are less distracting and annoying popup ads with all sorts of
blinking, flash-based ads with audio and video, long load times, etc.

--Andrew Whitworth

Re: Advertisements? [ In reply to ]
Hardly. Browsers started including pop up blockers
for a reason.

-Chad

Re: Advertisements? [ In reply to ]
David Gerard wrote:
> On 20/03/2008, Robert Rohde <rarohde@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> However, a fork, particularly a commercially financed one, that seeks to go
>> beyond being a mere copy by providing a differentiated feature set and
>> seeking to build its own community could be an entirely different beast from
>> any of the forks we have now seen. And in my personal opinion, an
>> especially dangerous one at that.
>>

> Not necessarily. What we need is to make not only forking possible,
> but to make re-merging feasible, complete with GFDL credit trail. Then
> there's a lot less to fear from forks.

The GFDL is particularly bad for that, though, which would make it all
the better if the mooted relicensing to some sort of wiki license
happens. A reuser of Wikimedia content can easily make it unattractive
for us to re-merge their content by adding Invariant Sections to their
derivative work, giving us the choice of including e.g. a verbatim ad
slogan that can never be edited (or multiple ones if we re-merge from
multiple sources!), or not re-merge.

-Mark

Re: Advertisements? [ In reply to ]
Delirium wrote:
> David Gerard wrote:
>> Not necessarily. What we need is to make not only forking possible,
>> but to make re-merging feasible, complete with GFDL credit trail. Then
>> there's a lot less to fear from forks.
>>
> The GFDL is particularly bad for that, though, which would make it all
> the better if the mooted relicensing to some sort of wiki license
> happens. A reuser of Wikimedia content can easily make it unattractive
> for us to re-merge their content by adding Invariant Sections to their
> derivative work, giving us the choice of including e.g. a verbatim ad
> slogan that can never be edited (or multiple ones if we re-merge from
> multiple sources!), or not re-merge.

Even simpler, fork under 1.2 only license. This problem would persist
for all licenses which offer the option of choosing a later version.

Re: Advertisements? [ In reply to ]
David Gerard wrote:
> On 20/03/2008, Robert Rohde <rarohde@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> However, a fork, particularly a commercially financed one, that seeks to go
>> beyond being a mere copy by providing a differentiated feature set and
>> seeking to build its own community could be an entirely different beast from
>> any of the forks we have now seen. And in my personal opinion, an
>> especially dangerous one at that.
>>
> Not necessarily. What we need is to make not only forking possible,
> but to make re-merging feasible, complete with GFDL credit trail. Then
> there's a lot less to fear from forks.
Another extension of that idea would be to have the viral nature of the
licence apply to make the ad itself GFDL.

Ec

Re: Advertisements? [ In reply to ]
I'd love to see that be pulled off on Microsoft logo.

Re: Advertisements? [ In reply to ]

Andrew Whitworth wrote:

> I dont think i necessarily agree with this. Some inline ads
> would not be entirely unacceptable. All ads should be text-based
> (not blinking animated gifs, not flash, nothing with audio,
> etc). Ads should be relegated to a very specific section of the
> page where there will not

Some community members who oppose ads might be tempted to say
"yeah, whatever, let's accept ads so we can finally get rid of
this discussion topic". The two pieces above, however, indicate
that the discussion of *whether* to have ads is the shorter one.

A much longer discussion about *how* the advertizing should be
done would ensue, should a decision be taken to have ads.
Avoiding that discussion is already a strong argument against ads.

--
Lars Aronsson (lars@aronsson.se)

Re: Advertisements? [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
The question of why ads is in my opinion already a secondary one. The
primary one is do we have what it takes financially to do what we aim to do.
More specifically does our finances cover our budget.

In principle I am against advertisements because they occupy valuable on
screen space. It is however exactly because of screen space being valuable
that advertisements are able to bring in money. The problem in the
discussion that the primary question is not addressed and as I value the
aims of the Wikimedia Foundation over my personal preferences against
advertisements I find this troubling.

There are many things that cost money that have a huge impact on our ability
to bring information to the people that we do it all for. And I would like
to quote the bible when I argue for the support of the people who read and
write less and least resourced languages; "what you do for the least among
us, you do for me". (sorry if my English knowledge of scripture is not that
good.. you may recognise what I aim to quote anyway).

The "stichting" I represent has invested in MediaWiki localisation. It makes
some difference. I want to invest more in localisation and in terminology. I
want to invest in the availability of great open source fonts that cover at
least all the languages we support and all the languages that are in the
Incubator (and are recognised in the ISO-15924 standard). In many ways in
this way I am doing things that I feel strongly about, several of these
things can be done more effectively within the WMF. The WMF is not in a
position to do this. The lack of funding does in my opinion seriously affect
what it can do. It is also too much occupied in the things that make sense
from a first world perspective. The WMF is in many ways an organisation that
allows people to do their own thing.

Again, the main problem with our discussion about advertisement is first
that people do not consider why it would be needed and second because people
understand the aims of the WMF differently to the extend that some consider
the WMF as nothing but a hosting organisation and not as the movement it
also is.

Thanks,
GerardM

Re: Advertisements? [ In reply to ]
Well, I agree with you. :)

Re: Advertisements? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 5:15 PM, Lars Aronsson <lars@aronsson.se> wrote:

> White Cat wrote:
>
> > > I whole heartedly hate the idea of advertisements on
> > > wikipedia but if we are going to have ads they should not be
> > > inline ones.
>

> Andrew Whitworth wrote:
>
> > I dont think i necessarily agree with this. Some inline ads
> > would not be entirely unacceptable. All ads should be text-based
> > (not blinking animated gifs, not flash, nothing with audio,
> > etc). Ads should be relegated to a very specific section of the
> > page where there will not
>

> Some community members who oppose ads might be tempted to say
> "yeah, whatever, let's accept ads so we can finally get rid of
> this discussion topic". The two pieces above, however, indicate
> that the discussion of *whether* to have ads is the shorter one.
>
> A much longer discussion about *how* the advertizing should be
> done would ensue, should a decision be taken to have ads.
> Avoiding that discussion is already a strong argument against ads.

Ha! I wholeheartedly agree. We have better things as a community to
focus energy on. I'd personally rather spend the time to solicit
donations from all my friends and neighbors, than spend the same
amount of time to read through 5 gazillion+ messages about whether
blinking is worse than popping up. The happy thing is, I'd almost
certainly raise more money by actively doing the former than passively
doing the latter.

Anyway, I am a little confused about what prompted this latest round
of ad-discussions, since I thought it was a pretty settled question
many years ago. I feel like this conversation comes back every so
often, perhaps like [[El Nino]]: it blows through, causes a few
hurricanes, involves new people (but some of the same communities)
every time, and then quietly goes away again, leaving weather
forecasters to hope there will be a longer break in between cycles
next time. Someone with some time should do a meta-analysis of
perennial proposals on the mailing lists and the village pump -- is
there any periodicity to when, say, the question of advertisements
recurs? If so, this would be very useful to chart, so the rest of us
can go on vacation and stop reading email 'til it blows over.

-- phoebe

Re: Advertisements? [ In reply to ]
phoebe ayers wrote:
> Someone with some time should do a meta-analysis of
> perennial proposals on the mailing lists and the village pump -- is
> there any periodicity to when, say, the question of advertisements
> recurs? If so, this would be very useful to chart, so the rest of us
> can go on vacation and stop reading email 'til it blows over.
Sorry, but the only ones with that kind of available time are too busy
complaining about the ads that no-one plans to have.

Ec

Re: Advertisements? [ In reply to ]
I was looking for a reason to try out Google Charts ;) Sorry about the
x-axis.. http://tinyurl.com/2rjha4
Now would be a good time to go on vacation, btw.

Re: Advertisements? [ In reply to ]
Well done! Now that is some research we can all use. Fundraising
coordinators, take note: advertising discussions coincide with
fund-drive planning and spring allergies.

-- phoebe

Re: Advertisements? [ In reply to ]
David Gerard ha scritto:

> I went to the V&A (Victoria and Albert Museum) today. (I did bring my
> camera and get lots of nice photos. V&A allows non-flash photography
> of most exhibitions.) They had a box at the door with "Suggested
> donation £3" with the "£3" really big. I put in £5. It was clearly
> voluntary, but also made it clear it would have been somewhat dickish
> not to put a few quid in if you could spare it. They have the
> occasional sponsored exhibition (e.g. "The Samsung Gallery of Korean
> Art").
>
> I dunno - articles with "Was this article useful to you? Suggested
> donation: 25c" or something.

I agree, but a 25c donation via PayPal goes all to PayPal...,
microdonations are not so effective online
Cruccone

Re: Advertisements? [ In reply to ]
On 25/03/2008, Marco Chiesa <chiesa.marco@gmail.com> wrote:
> David Gerard ha scritto:

> > They had a box at the door with "Suggested
> > donation £3" with the "£3" really big. I put in £5. It was clearly
> > voluntary, but also made it clear it would have been somewhat dickish
> > not to put a few quid in if you could spare it.
> > I dunno - articles with "Was this article useful to you? Suggested
> > donation: 25c" or something.

> I agree, but a 25c donation via PayPal goes all to PayPal...,
> microdonations are not so effective online

I know ... when they've looked at 20 articles, suggest $5? I suggest
this for anons - logged-in editors will presumably contribute content
or editing.

- d.

Re: Advertisements? [ In reply to ]
Or maybe put donate on the bottom of the article next to the MediaWiki shiny.