two-dimensional public domain works which are nothing more than
reproductions should be considered public domain for licensing
purposes") has been "overruled" by Mike Godwin's statement (which was
adressed on a Wikisource case)

See
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons_talk:Licensing#About_Bridgeman_vs._Corel

We should not accept such nonsense.

Klaus Graf

Re: Bridgeman v. Corel worldwide for Wikimedia Commons - yes or no? [ In reply to ]
Nothing can be a complete certain in international law. The government can
do whatever it pleases - after all it is their country. Granted
international law isn't an experimental anarchy, but often governments will
do things they are not supposed to do if it is convenient enough. Even if it
is safe now it can be unsafe tomorrow.

I think this crazy set of what ifs is fundamentally flawed.

Re: Bridgeman v. Corel worldwide for Wikimedia Commons - yes or no? [ In reply to ]
> It can be *very useful* to be the
> 800-pound gorilla of free content.

Until someone realises you're an 800-pound gorilla without much money...

Re: Bridgeman v. Corel worldwide for Wikimedia Commons - yes or no? [ In reply to ]
On 15/03/2008, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton@gmail.com> wrote:
> > It can be *very useful* to be the
> > 800-pound gorilla of free content.
>

> Until someone realises you're an 800-pound gorilla without much money...

Since not much money in this case means zero UK assets that isn't the
problem you might expect.

--
geni

Re: Bridgeman v. Corel worldwide for Wikimedia Commons - yes or no? [ In reply to ]
On Sat, March 15, 2008 18:31, Thomas Dalton wrote:
>> Actually, no. Amsterdam and Korea only host Squid systems, so no data is
>> uploaded there.
>
> The Squid servers hold cached copies of the data. Exactly whose
> jurisdiction things on the web fall under is very complicated and I've
> never understood it - it's possible Amsterdam or Korea could claim
> jurisdiction. Any Dutch or Korean lawyers on the list?

I was asked at a conference I was speaking at yesterday whether we
(WMF/WMUK) had plans to put servers in the UK (ie squids) and I answered
that we were presently disinclined to do so as various bodies, inc
government ones, have mooted that any cached content on ISP servers is the
responsibility of the ISP and hence we (WMF/WMUK) could be held liable for
the content on a squid, albeit that it is ephemeral. The UK has some of
the, um, 'most problematic' libel laws around and I'm not sure we want to
lead anyone into the temptation of trying to sue us (WMF/WMUK)!

Co-coincidently, I'll be at the National Picture Gallery on Tuesday. Might
see what I can and can't do in there re whether it is possible to take a
photo pf something oneself, so bypassing their current argument that any
photograph must be a copy of their own photograph, hence their copyright

Alison

Re: Bridgeman v. Corel worldwide for Wikimedia Commons - yes or no? [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
The 800-pound gorilla may not have that much money but when we are to fight
a good cause in court, I am sure that a fighting fund raiser would prove
popular. Obviously, before you end up in court there is a lot that can be
done.
Thanks,
GerardM

Re: Bridgeman v. Corel worldwide for Wikimedia Commons - yes or no? [ In reply to ]
Thomas,

> The Squid servers hold cached copies of the data. Exactly whose
> jurisdiction things on the web fall under is very complicated and I've
> never understood it - it's possible Amsterdam or Korea could claim
> jurisdiction. Any Dutch or Korean lawyers on the list?

IANAL, but..

So do routers, switches, etc - the data is buffered and kept in
memory for shorter or longer time on nearly every piece of internet
infrastructure.
Squids just speed up data delivery from data store somewhere else.
The major issue in such case would be do we work on squid storages as
standalone media systems (thats like, if you start filtering content
- you're the one who is responsible for it in the end).
Squids are 'data transfer' infrastructure, not 'data storage'
infrastructure, and operating a squid is same as operating a browser
(which also does caching), or operating network backbone.

BR,
--
Domas Mituzas -- http://dammit.lt/ -- [[user:midom]]

Re: Bridgeman v. Corel worldwide for Wikimedia Commons - yes or no? [ In reply to ]
> IANAL, but..
>
> So do routers, switches, etc - the data is buffered and kept in
> memory for shorter or longer time on nearly every piece of internet
> infrastructure.
> Squids just speed up data delivery from data store somewhere else.
> The major issue in such case would be do we work on squid storages as
> standalone media systems (thats like, if you start filtering content
> - you're the one who is responsible for it in the end).
> Squids are 'data transfer' infrastructure, not 'data storage'
> infrastructure, and operating a squid is same as operating a browser
> (which also does caching), or operating network backbone.

Now, I'm neither a lawyer nor a network expert, but as I understand
it, routers etc. only store the data as long as is necessary for a
particular transfer. The squids cache data from one transfer in case
it's needed for another transfer - I suspect that makes a big
difference.

Re: Bridgeman v. Corel worldwide for Wikimedia Commons - yes or no? [ In reply to ]
OK maybe we need to redefine the Board and add a elected Auditing arm to serve as a Supreme Court.

Re: Bridgeman v. Corel worldwide for Wikimedia Commons - yes or no? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 4:56 PM, teun spaans <teun.spaans@gmail.com> wrote:

> While on holiday in Italy i took some pix of plants in a botanical garden.
> There was no admittance fee, it was publicly accessible.
>
> Can i upload the pix of the plants I took there, or does the owner of the
> botanical garden has some form of ownership?
>
> The Italian law refers to "beni culturali", basically work of arts, so I'd
say there shouldn't be any problem in uploading the images :)

Marco
Re: Bridgeman v. Corel worldwide for Wikimedia Commons - yes or no? [ In reply to ]
teun spaans wrote:
> While on holiday in Italy i took some pix of plants in a botanical garden.
> There was no admittance fee, it was publicly accessible.
>
> Can i upload the pix of the plants I took there, or does the owner of the
> botanical garden has some form of ownership?

Plants are not covered by copyright, as they are not "works" created by
human originality. You can upload them without any problems.

Ciao Henning

Re: Bridgeman v. Corel worldwide for Wikimedia Commons - yes or no? [ In reply to ]
Grazie!

Re: Bridgeman v. Corel worldwide for Wikimedia Commons - yes or no? [ In reply to ]
This poses an interesting question on what happens when we are
genetically engineering :) Because then in fact it *is* a work made by
humans (or at least adapted, just like a cut wooden tree, a carved
stone tablet etc), and in some cases even artictic somehow (think of
the glowing fish). Anyway, not that it is very relevant, but an
intriguing mindgame :)

-- Lodewijk

Re: Bridgeman v. Corel worldwide for Wikimedia Commons - yes or no? [ In reply to ]