Mailing List Archive

Rethinking fundraising (2): Storytelling
Wikimedia's past fundraising campaigns have traditionally focused on
one simple message: "We are growing fast, and we need your help to
support our infrastructure." While enough funds were raised to support
Wikimedia's survival, this message is unlikely to arouse emotion or
passion among potential donors.

Even the appeal to "imagine a world in which every human being can
share in the sum of all knowledge" is, at its heart, factual and
generic; it does not tell stories of individuals, or describe deep
changes in people's lives. Such stories depend not just on facts, but
also on poetic writing and carefully chosen photographs or videos. It
is not enough for a potential donor to rationally understand that they
are supporting an important website. They must be emotionally
convinced that they have a moral obligation to contribute to a
world-changing mission.

Before one can tell stories, however, one must gather and write them.
We can identify the following sources of stories that are relevant to
fundraising efforts, ordered by the level of control the Foundation
can exercise over the messaging:
* Foundation-level programs
* Chapter-level programs
* Community experience
* Outside experience

The potential impact of new WMF and chapter programs on future
fundraising initiatives should at least be taken into consideration
during program planning. It makes sense to attempt to measure this, by
rating ongoing programs according to their impact on fundraising.

In addition to monitoring its own programs, the Foundation can reach
out to community members and readers using many different means:
* calling for readers to tell their stories through its website properties
* targeting community members through mailing lists and online forums
* specifically contacting donors through newsletters or one-time mailings
* contacting organizers of local meetups (whether these are tied to a
chapter or not)
* indirectly reaching out to motivated and curious contributors
through contests, events, and so on.

Stories, once collected, need to be organized. The most interesting
ones can then be developed by following up with individuals. In doing
so, one should attempt to develop a story along a traditional
narrative structure. In the most common storytelling pattern, a
protagonist is introduced to the audience and must overcome challenges
to reach a certain goal. Whenever possible, video, audio and pictures
should be gathered to supplement the narrative. If no directly
relevant media can be found, symbolic media can be used when correctly
labeled.

There are many resources providing detailed advice on storytelling for
non-profits, but I specifically recommend this 45 minute video of a
presentation by communications consultant Andy Goodman:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-289257716014946841

Goodman's publication "Storytelling as Best Practice" is worth
ordering as a brief introduction with a good bibliography:

http://www.agoodmanonline.com/publications/storytelling/index.html

Also take a look at the CBS "60 Minutes" video about the "One Laptop
Per Child" project and carefully watch for typical storytelling
techniques in the beginning:

http://olpc.com/videos.html

In its coming fundraisers, the Foundation has to tell its own stories:
of human beings who "share in the sum of all knowledge".
--
Toward Peace, Love & Progress:
Erik

Re: Rethinking fundraising (2): Storytelling [ In reply to ]
This is a great idea and another very articulated mail. ;-)

Two items that may be of interest to you:
* ComProj has been working on something like this for some time. <
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Communication_Projects_Group/Success_stories_-_how_has_Wikimedia_changed_your_life%3F

* I also recall a discussion on the OTRS mailing list about using the good
comments we have received in e-mails for endeavors such as this (provided we
receive their permission first, of course).

I hope these ideas are of use to you (and hopefully, a starting point for
the writing portion). :-) The Wiki-Love pictures from Flickr may also be of
use to you in this.

On 9/30/07, Erik Moeller <erik@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> [...]
> presentation by communications consultant Andy Goodman:
>
> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-289257716014946841
>
> Goodman's publication "Storytelling as Best Practice" is worth
> ordering as a brief introduction with a good bibliography:
>
> http://www.agoodmanonline.com/publications/storytelling/index.html
>
> Also take a look at the CBS "60 Minutes" video about the "One Laptop
> Per Child" project and carefully watch for typical storytelling
> techniques in the beginning:
>
> http://olpc.com/videos.html
>
> In its coming fundraisers, the Foundation has to tell its own stories:
> of human beings who "share in the sum of all knowledge".
> --
> Toward Peace, Love & Progress:
> Erik
>
> DISCLAIMER: This message does not represent an official position of
> the Wikimedia Foundation or its Board of Trustees.

Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.
Re: Rethinking fundraising (2): Storytelling [ In reply to ]
On 10/2/07, Casey Brown <cbrown1023.ml@gmail.com> wrote:
> Two items that may be of interest to you:
> * ComProj has been working on something like this for some time. <
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Communication_Projects_Group/Success_stories_-_how_has_Wikimedia_changed_your_life%3F

Yep, I'm aware of that. Think of my posts on this topic as a sort of
parallel analytical thread.

On a practical level: I'm not a big friend of OTRS but it might be
wise to use e-mail to solicit this kind of material -- people are
comfortable with it. If not that, I believe a friendlier web
submission form is needed. We'll also want people to write who are
primarily "consumers" of Wikipedia and may have never even seen an
edit form.

--
Toward Peace, Love & Progress:
Erik

Re: Rethinking fundraising (2): Storytelling [ In reply to ]
I personally don't like the point pushing that is marketing generally,
and mawkish ads specifically; preferring neutral, factual information.
Will this storytelling approach with symbolic media not put off the
people who previously responded to the simple, marketese free "If you
think Wikimedia's projects are worthwhile, please donate so we can buy
infrastructure to keep it going."? Will storytelling bring in more
donations, and if so what does it say about the NPOV educational
information provided?
--
User:Jeandré du Toit

Re: Rethinking fundraising (2): Storytelling [ In reply to ]
I do not oppose the idea but if I were donating I would rather see hard data
rather than stories. We lack a reasonable page view/site hit statistics.

- White Cat

Re: Rethinking fundraising (2): Storytelling [ In reply to ]
On 10/6/07, White Cat <wikipedia.kawaii.neko@gmail.com> wrote:
> I do not oppose the idea but if I were donating I would rather see hard data rather than stories. We lack a reasonable page view/site hit statistics.

What do you want that you think we lack?

We certainly do know how often pages are loaded...

Re: Rethinking fundraising (2): Storytelling [ In reply to ]
Yes but this information isn't available in a meaningful way to the
prospective donor.

- White Cat

Re: Rethinking fundraising (2): Storytelling [ In reply to ]
Where do you propose we put it? http://funraising.wikimedia.org/?
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Fundraising? in the site notices?

Re: Rethinking fundraising (2): Storytelling [ In reply to ]
On 07/10/2007, Casey Brown <cbrown1023.ml@gmail.com> wrote:

> Where do you propose we put it? http://funraising.wikimedia.org/?

Sorry, no fun allowed :)

--
Alex (Majorly)
Re: Rethinking fundraising (2): Storytelling [ In reply to ]
On 10/6/07, Jeandré du Toit <jackdt@gmail.com> wrote:
> I personally don't like the point pushing that is marketing generally,
> and mawkish ads specifically; preferring neutral, factual information.
> Will this storytelling approach with symbolic media not put off the
> people who previously responded to the simple, marketese free "If you
> think Wikimedia's projects are worthwhile, please donate so we can buy
> infrastructure to keep it going."? Will storytelling bring in more
> donations, and if so what does it say about the NPOV educational
> information provided?

This is a very typical, and very wrong, attitude in non-profits. Andy
Goodman examines that point at length in his lecture, which is really
worth watching:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-289257716014946841

The gist of it is that the story does not _replace_ the factual
information. It provides a hook for getting people who _aren't_ part
of your world to start caring about it. And once they care, they
should find out all the factual information they want

If you only do storytelling and don't provide key facts & figures,
you're failing just as much as if you're only providing the facts &
figures, but no lead that makes people care about them.

--
Toward Peace, Love & Progress:
Erik

Re: Rethinking fundraising (2): Storytelling [ In reply to ]
Hehe, fundraising* :-P

On 10/6/07, Majorly <axel9891@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 07/10/2007, Casey Brown <cbrown1023.ml@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Where do you propose we put it? http://funraising.wikimedia.org/?
> >

> Sorry, no fun allowed :)
>
> --
> Alex (Majorly)

Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

---
this address will probably get lost.
Re: Rethinking fundraising (2): Storytelling [ In reply to ]
Erik Moeller wrote:
> On 10/6/07, Jeandré du Toit <jackdt@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I personally don't like the point pushing that is marketing generally,
>> and mawkish ads specifically; preferring neutral, factual information.
>> Will this storytelling approach with symbolic media not put off the
>> people who previously responded to the simple, marketese free "If you
>> think Wikimedia's projects are worthwhile, please donate so we can buy
>> infrastructure to keep it going."? Will storytelling bring in more
>> donations, and if so what does it say about the NPOV educational
>> information provided?
>>

> This is a very typical, and very wrong, attitude in non-profits. Andy
> Goodman examines that point at length in his lecture, which is really
> worth watching:
>
> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-289257716014946841
>
> The gist of it is that the story does not _replace_ the factual
> information. It provides a hook for getting people who _aren't_ part
> of your world to start caring about it. And once they care, they
> should find out all the factual information they want
>
> If you only do storytelling and don't provide key facts & figures,
> you're failing just as much as if you're only providing the facts &
> figures, but no lead that makes people care about them.

I agree some effort to pull in other people is worthwhile, but I agree
with Jeandré that we ought not to come off as excessively PR-ish. I know
I've stopped contributing to other nonprofits who've taken such a tone
with their advertising (and organizational style generally), and would
be turned off from contributing to Wikimedia were its communications to
start looking like they came from an ad agency rather than from normal
people.

-Mark

Re: Rethinking fundraising (2): Storytelling [ In reply to ]
On 10/7/07, Delirium <delirium@hackish.org> wrote:
> I agree some effort to pull in other people is worthwhile, but I agree
> with Jeandré that we ought not to come off as excessively PR-ish. I know
> I've stopped contributing to other nonprofits who've taken such a tone
> with their advertising (and organizational style generally), and would
> be turned off from contributing to Wikimedia were its communications to
> start looking like they came from an ad agency rather than from normal
> people.

Yes, you can do this right, and you can do it wrong. If we have a page
where people can post cool things about wikipedia/wikimedia, and
select some to highlight that will seem community centered and
organic.

If we take these stories, get images, and re-write them into some
combined campaign called "Wikipedia:Our Story" published on some shiny
new site, that would be a mistake.

The people donating $3 to wikipedia aren't the same people donating to
the MacArthur Foundation. Well, maybe some are, but not most.

Judson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Cohesion
Re: Rethinking fundraising (2): Storytelling [ In reply to ]
On 10/8/07, cohesion <cohesion@sleepyhead.org> wrote:
[snip]
> If we take these stories, get images, and re-write them into some
> combined campaign called "Wikipedia:Our Story" published on some shiny
> new site, that would be a mistake.
>
> The people donating $3 to wikipedia aren't the same people donating to
> the MacArthur Foundation. Well, maybe some are, but not most.

We don't actually know that... We don't really know a lot about our
donors and I think thats a real problem. (Although we do know the mean
and median donations are a a fair bit more than $3 ... but that's not
your point).

I also think we shouldn't limit ourselves to any one donor base. ...
and certainly not anyone who is already donating to charities.

Anecdotaly, many people I encounter who *I* consider good potential
donor material (young-middle age, tech savvy, household incomes
soundly in the 33 and even 35% federal income tax brackets, and who
*do* donate to things like macfound) are often completely unaware or
misinformed of Wikimedia's non-profit status. To quote someone I spoke
to recently: "Wikipedia, you know thats not non-profit anymore right?
The founder Jimmy Wales ... wikia... search.." 0_o Easily corrected,
but only if someone is actively correcting it.

Re: Rethinking fundraising (2): Storytelling [ In reply to ]
On 10/7/07, Delirium <delirium@hackish.org> wrote:

> Erik Moeller wrote:
> > On 10/6/07, Jeandré du Toit <jackdt@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I personally don't like the point pushing that is marketing generally,
> >> and mawkish ads specifically; preferring neutral, factual information.
> >> Will this storytelling approach with symbolic media not put off the
> >> people who previously responded to the simple, marketese free "If you
> >> think Wikimedia's projects are worthwhile, please donate so we can buy
> >> infrastructure to keep it going."? Will storytelling bring in more
> >> donations, and if so what does it say about the NPOV educational
> >> information provided?
> >>

> > This is a very typical, and very wrong, attitude in non-profits. Andy
> > Goodman examines that point at length in his lecture, which is really
> > worth watching:
> >
> > http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-289257716014946841
> >
> > The gist of it is that the story does not _replace_ the factual
> > information. It provides a hook for getting people who _aren't_ part
> > of your world to start caring about it. And once they care, they
> > should find out all the factual information they want
> >
> > If you only do storytelling and don't provide key facts & figures,
> > you're failing just as much as if you're only providing the facts &
> > figures, but no lead that makes people care about them.
> >

> I agree some effort to pull in other people is worthwhile, but I agree
> with Jeandré that we ought not to come off as excessively PR-ish. I know
> I've stopped contributing to other nonprofits who've taken such a tone
> with their advertising (and organizational style generally), and would
> be turned off from contributing to Wikimedia were its communications to
> start looking like they came from an ad agency rather than from normal
> people.
>
> -Mark

Mark's and Jeandre's fears are completely understandable - and if we are to
incorporate these kinds of story-telling initiatives in our fundraising,
we need to be careful not to alienate people who are donating to our honest
work in 'making knowledge free' (or however we want to put it). But I think
the key to this is to build these stories from our collective experience as
a community - and to have the community involved in the identification and
sustaining of these stories. Listen to Andy Goodman's story about the
nomadic Native American tribe which carries around a "sacred bundle" of
objects, all of which have a story to tell about their community's culture,
identity, history, and values. This, I think is a powerful insight into how
a community can stick together through thick and thin, riding out difficult
times and circumstances - the mark of a strong community/culture.

Think: does Wikimedia have a similar set of stories about where it's come
from, how it works, and how it's making a difference in the world?
Absolutely. Can every community member tell these stories in such a way so
that a complete newcomer would understand_and_see them? Probably not. Does
every person who accesses our sites know anything about these stories, or
even that Wikimedia exists? A small percentage do - the former, smaller.

What stories give to a cause is a sense of cohesion amongst the community
around the cause, as well as a deeper understanding and empathy toward the
cause amongst the wider population. Erik said it right - it's about creating
an emotional connection with the work we do. So that people, when asked
about Wikip/media, say: "Oh yeah, they're the people who are making
knowledge free", rather than "Oh yeah, I used that when I was writing an
essay once".

Cheers,

Cormac
Re: Rethinking fundraising (2): Storytelling [ In reply to ]
On 10/8/07, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell@gmail.com> wrote:
> I also think we shouldn't limit ourselves to any one donor base. ...
> and certainly not anyone who is already donating to charities.
>
> Anecdotaly, many people I encounter who *I* consider good potential
> donor material (young-middle age, tech savvy, household incomes
> soundly in the 33 and even 35% federal income tax brackets, and who
> *do* donate to things like macfound) are often completely unaware or
> misinformed of Wikimedia's non-profit status. To quote someone I spoke
> to recently: "Wikipedia, you know thats not non-profit anymore right?
> The founder Jimmy Wales ... wikia... search.." 0_o Easily corrected,
> but only if someone is actively correcting it.

Right, this isn't a bad idea by any means, I think what people fear
about this kind of thing though is that it seems *too* professional,
and disconnects from the community. And you're right, the foundation
should certainly try and broaden our donation base, possibly using
different approaches in different demographics. About misinformation,
it really is alarming, even in other semi-tech communities I use
online. "Wikipedia will be bought out..." etc

The problem of overprofessionalism is a very mild one, I don't recall
anything we have ever done as coming off *too* polished. ;) That's our
charm I guess.

Re: Rethinking fundraising (2): Storytelling [ In reply to ]
On 08/10/2007, cohesion <cohesion@sleepyhead.org> wrote:
> The problem of overprofessionalism is a very mild one, I don't recall
> anything we have ever done as coming off *too* polished. ;) That's our
> charm I guess.

Some of our deletion procedures would probably be closest but the I
suspect they aim to appear as faceless bureaucracies.

--
geni