Mailing List Archive

Stable release issue
Hello

I'm writing to raise an issue that is probably of low interest to vpnc
developers, but is of some relevance to the user base at large.

Recently I was having a problem with the dead peer detection firing at
random. After some googling I found Mihai's post from 2010 [1]. I
cursed the ancient Debian package and went off to recompile vpnc from
the latest sources.

I did so, downloading the latest tarball from the website, only to
discover (hours later) that it *still* didn't include that fix from
2010.

Now, I have no problem building from svn, (that's what I did, at last)
but I think it's misleading to offer "stable" releases for download on
the project's website without either 1) a maintainer that periodically
releases them, or 2) a notice that users are advised to checkout from
svn.

So, in the absence of 1), I would suggest that somebody who has access
to the website adds a notice to direct users (and distribution
packagers) to use the latest commit. I believe this would save a
non-trivial amount of collective time and headaches (and mailing list
noise.)

Thanks,
Tobia

[1] http://lists.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/pipermail/vpnc-devel/2010-December/003492.html