Mailing List Archive

help VNC free Edition 4.1
Hello,

We are currently using VNC free Edition 4.1 server in our Linux machine. But the problem is that we can open several sessions on the Linux server. However, only 2 computers can access the server by using VNC viewer for No.1 and No.2 session. I have no idea why this happens. And what we want is to have more than 2 computers to access the server. We have no idea how to fix this problem.

I guess the problem is that when we downloaded the VNC free edition from the website, we did not fill the detail information in the form and we just downloaded directly from the website. But I saw there is a deployment option for current or intended size of VNC deployment. Is it right that we need to specify the numbers of the computers? Or is it due to we are using the free edition which only let two computers to access the server?

Could you please help me on this problem?

Thanks a lot and have a good day,

Yihong
Re: help VNC free Edition 4.1 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 11 Oct 2011, Yang, Yihong wrote:

> We are currently using VNC free Edition 4.1 server in our Linux machine.
> But the problem is that we can open several sessions on the Linux
> server. However, only 2 computers can access the server by using VNC
> viewer for No.1 and No.2 session. I have no idea why this happens. And
> what we want is to have more than 2 computers to access the server. We
> have no idea how to fix this problem.

Do you mean that you cannot open multiple viewers to the same session? It
might be because one or more of them is not accessing the session as
"shared". From the vncviewer man page:

-Shared
When you make a connection to a VNC server, all other existing
connections are normally closed. This option requests that they
be left open, allowing you to share the desktop with someone
already using it.

The same thing applies to viewers on other platforms -- they all have the
shared option. Whenever someone accesses the session as non-shared, they
kill all other existing connections.

Mike

RE: help VNC free Edition 4.1 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 12 Oct 2011, Yang, Yihong wrote:

> Out situation is that the people in lab will create several sessions on
> the server, and they will use viewer to access their own sessions. Once
> we create the sessions on the server, the server will give you a number
> based on the order of the creation, right? So the server will give you
> session 1, session 2 and so on.
>
> The problem is that if we create two sessions on the server, there is no
> problem for us to use viewer to access those two sessions. But if we
> create more than three sessions, only the first and the second sessions
> can be accessed by using viewer.
>
> I don't know how to fix it. Do you know how to fix this?

It might be because some ports are occupied by other processes. I had
this problem once with ssh port forwarding using port 6010, and this made
it so that vnc on :10, which uses port 5910 and 6010, would not work.

Have you used netstat to see which ports are being used by other services
on the server? I would look into that.

Have you tried adding some sessions with higher port numbers? That is,
don't just except the default :1, :2, :3, etc, but specify :51, :74, or
whatever.

Another question: Whos sessions are these? Are they all created by the
same user? Some window managers, such as Gnome, will not reliably allow
more than one VNC session.

Mike