Mailing List Archive

Computers send VNC connect request without interaction
Hey everyone

in the company I work for we use Free VNC to occasionally support users.
We have users working with fat-clients (Win XP SP3) and users with
thin-clients (i.e. HP T5550 or IGEL UD3). On the fat clients we regularly
update the VNC client to the newest available version. Since 4 month or so
we got the problem that the users with thin-clients get message-boxes on
their screen with a request that some computer wants to connect. It
usually shows the IP of the computer the request comes from. It's totally
random IP's. Well it's always an IP from the same subnet.
We checked the computers if there is the VNC viewer installed but it's
only the VNC server installed so the client should not even be able to try
to connect to some other machine in the network.

The message-box usually disappears within a few seconds from the screen of
the thin-client. But as that happens like 10 or more times a day it's
annoying the users.
I googled this problem but could not find a single entry in any forum that
seemed to be a problem like mine.

Thanks for any help or advice,
Remo Siegenthaler