Mailing List Archive

Caps-lock inversion?
Why is it that sometimes you have to set Caps-Lock on your local keyboard to
get lower-case characters on the remote machine? Is there a fix?

Philip Herlihy

Re: Caps-lock inversion? [ In reply to ]
When Caps-Lock is set on on the remote machine, it requires the local machine to set Caps-Lock on to get lower case.

VNC it appears does not map the keyboard correctly is my assumption. There is no way to know the remote machine has the keyboard caps-lock set on or off unless it is right there close where you can walk over and fix the keyboard and turn the caps-lock off on the remote machine.

Why is it that sometimes you have to set Caps-Lock on your local keyboard to
get lower-case characters on the remote machine? Is there a fix?

Philip Herlihy

Dale Eshelman
eshelmand@gmail.com

MonaVie (Distr ID 1316953)
http://www.monavie.com/Web/US/en/product_overview.dhtml

Kaching Kaching, Inc. (KCKC.OB)
http://www.mykachingkaching.com/daleeshelman

The closer I get to the pain of glass in Windoz, the farther I can see and I see a Mac on the horizon. Made by Apple - the best personal computers in the world.

Re: Caps-lock inversion? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 30 Aug 2011, Dale Eshelman wrote:

> When Caps-Lock is set on on the remote machine, it requires the local
> machine to set Caps-Lock on to get lower case.

Funny that in so many years of using VNC that never happened to me. I had
no idea. Maybe I never left capslock on on the server machine. Does the
operating system matter? I'm using mostly Linux/UNIX Xvnc.

Mike

Re: Caps-lock inversion? [ In reply to ]
I know it happens on Windows - 98, 2000, and XP. Have not used it on UNIX machines.
I went a long time before I accidentally left the caps lock on. Took a while to figure it out.

Dale-

Re: Caps-lock inversion? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 31 Aug 2011, Dale Eshelman wrote:

> I know it happens on Windows - 98, 2000, and XP. Have not used it on
> UNIX machines.
>
> I went a long time before I accidentally left the caps lock on. Took a
> while to figure it out.

Thanks, Dale. I'm glad you discovered this before I did!

I'll have to check that it doesn't work like this on Linux/UNIX with other
toggled keyboard settings. I use Shift-Caps lock to toggle between US and
US/International keyboard.

Mike