Mailing List Archive

control key problems with xterm menus
I have a problem with vncviewer (actually xvnc4viewer) in Ubuntu linux.

In the last day or so I found that the ctrl/mouse-button combinations (which
bring up menus in xterm) have stopped working when viewing VNC sessions.

There is no problem with the keyboard ctrl-key combinations, just the
ctrl/mouse combinations that don't work any more.

If I use the F8 menu and tick CTRL then both the keyboard and mouse
combinations work but obviously this is a very slow way of invoking the Ctrl
key function!

I can successfully use the ctrl/mouse combinations when running a windows or
solaris viewer, it seems just to be the linux one that's affected.

I suspect some sort of interaction between GNOME and vncviewer and I have
tried Mike Miller's suggestion of changing:

> show position of pointer when the Control key is pressed

but this doesn't alter the problem.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Steve Platt

Re: control key problems with xterm menus [ In reply to ]
Further to my question about a problem when using vncviewer in Ubuntu linux
(in which I found the Ctrl/Mouse-button combinations weren't working) I have
found a workaround that may also provide some additional information.

It seems that I was using the "compiz" window manager and that if I switch to
using "metacity" the problem goes away!

In Ubuntu, this corresponds to changing "Visual Effects" from "normal" to
"none" in System->Preferences->Appearance.

I don't know if this helps clarify what the actual problem is; the only compiz
Ctrl/mouse combination I can find that compiz uses is Ctrl/Button6 (Raise
Window).

Steve

Re: control key problems with xterm menus [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 9 May 2011, Steve Platt wrote:

> Further to my question about a problem when using vncviewer in Ubuntu
> linux (in which I found the Ctrl/Mouse-button combinations weren't
> working) I have found a workaround that may also provide some additional
> information.
>
> It seems that I was using the "compiz" window manager and that if I
> switch to using "metacity" the problem goes away!
>
> In Ubuntu, this corresponds to changing "Visual Effects" from "normal"
> to "none" in System->Preferences->Appearance.
>
> I don't know if this helps clarify what the actual problem is; the only
> compiz Ctrl/mouse combination I can find that compiz uses is
> Ctrl/Button6 (Raise Window).

That's interesting. I'll have to see if I have it set to "normal" on my
office machine (where I have the problem that I don't see at home), but it
is set to "none" on my home machine (and I think it is "none" in the
office, too).

I recently noticed that my control keys seem to be totally nonfunctional
when I am not in full-screen mode. This is true with both the RealVNC
Free viewer and the Enterprise Edition viewer. The Enterprise version is
the same in home and office, but it fails only in the office (where it is
connecting to localhost), from home it is via ssh tunnel, then localhost.
See details below.

I'm using Xvnc Free Edition 4.1.1

Mike

office:
=======
VNC Viewer Free Edition 4.1.1 for X - built Apr 16 2008 13:23:14

VNC Viewer Enterprise Edition E4.4.3 (r16583) for X
Built on Oct 14 2008 00:18:24

home:
=====
VNC Viewer Free Edition 4.1.1 for X - built Apr 9 2010 18:41:55