Mailing List Archive

Passwordfile Configuration
Hi all,

We have RealVNC 4.6.1 (r54321) and all workstations in our company are set
up with RealVNC server, and all have the same password. I would like a way
for our help desk staff to not have to enter this universal password every
single time.

I think we can accomplish this through the "passwordfile" parameter in the
"Expert" tab of the viewer "Connection Options". I've copied the encrypted
password from the registry entry into a file and saved as plaintext. Next,
point the "passwordfile" option under the "Expert" tab to c:\pw. When I try
to connect to another computer, I put in the ip and after enter it tells me
that the username or password is incorrect.

The password file has to be right... I've tried copying and made sure there
were no spaces after the password. Any syntaxes such as "password=123213jfj"
bring up the "password obscufication" error-- it has to be exactly the
length of that the registry string is.

Has anyone gotten this to work? I'm really stumped and RealVNC tech support
just told me that "this functionality worked in linux, and SHOULD work in xp
too", but could not confirm. Any ideas or pointers? Thanks in advance.

-Sean
Re: Passwordfile Configuration [ In reply to ]
On 6-4-2011 23:23, Sean Matheny wrote:
> We have RealVNC 4.6.1 (r54321) and all workstations in our company are set
> up with RealVNC server, and all have the same password. I would like a way
> for our help desk staff to not have to enter this universal password every
> single time.
Sounds like saving the session information and include the password in
the *.vnc file. This generates the encrypted value you need.

> I think we can accomplish this through the "passwordfile" parameter in the
> "Expert" tab of the viewer "Connection Options". I've copied the encrypted
> password from the registry entry into a file and saved as plaintext. Next,
> point the "passwordfile" option under the "Expert" tab to c:\pw. When I try
> to connect to another computer, I put in the ip and after enter it tells me
> that the username or password is incorrect.
As far as I know, the encryption in the registry differs from the
encryption in the *.vnc file. The *.vnc verison is reversable, the
registry one is not (it is the old unix encoding)

> The password file has to be right... I've tried copying and made sure there
> were no spaces after the password. Any syntaxes such as "password=123213jfj"
> bring up the "password obscufication" error-- it has to be exactly the
> length of that the registry string is.
>
> Has anyone gotten this to work? I'm really stumped and RealVNC tech support
> just told me that "this functionality worked in linux, and SHOULD work in xp
> too", but could not confirm. Any ideas or pointers? Thanks in advance.
There are other vnc-viewer applications. Here at the office, we use
vissionap-remotedesktop. That includes a vnc viewer and has a nice
password meganism.

For what its worth: if the entire company uses the same vnc password in
each system, everyone can (ab-) use that. It is better to use dedicated
vnc passwords and have a nice password vault for it. If it is for
numerous systems as desktops tend to be, use a password generator that
generates static passwords for static input. Add a pre-able and use that
for vnc password for the desktops.

CBee