Mailing List Archive

Error : vncserver: no free display number
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all who are looking into this problem. Please give me your
ideas or solution on this.

First of all it is a very big organization. More than 100 users are trying
to use VNC onto a server. The server is running Solaris10.

1. I got this Error when i run this command

******@* <ekeihan@ecaotux1806>****** [481]: vncserver -depth 24
-geometry 1850x1080 -name gnome

Warning: hostname:1 is taken because of /tmp/.X11-unix/X1

Remove this file if there is no X server hostname:1

Warning: hostname:6 is taken because of /tmp/.X11-unix/X6

Remove this file if there is no X server hostname:6

Warning: hostname:92 is taken because of /tmp/.X11-unix/X92

Remove this file if there is no X server hostname:92

Warning: hostname:96 is taken because of /tmp/.X11-unix/X96

Remove this file if there is no X server hostname:96

vncserver: no free display number on hostname.
.

I have looked into this error on the vnc website and i found this

"Using vncserver to start more than 99 desktops

vncserver can only automatically allocate display numbers in the range 1-99.

If you want more than that, you'll need to specify the display number
explicitly. Bear in mind that, by default, each server uses ports 5800+n for
HTTP, 5900+n for RFB and 6000+n for X client connections, which means that
after desktop numbers 0-99 are taken, the next available range is 300-399
(The HTTP port for desktop 300 will be 6100; one greater than the X port for
desktop 99), followed by 600-699."

*However, we have a temporary solution.*

*You can explicitly provide a display number to “vncserver”.*
*Example: “vncserver :301” (Will start a new server on X display :301)*
*
*
***Is there a permanent Solution to this where VNCserver automatically sets
the port number even after 100?*
*
*
*2. How can i know whether i'm running an enterprise edition or free
edition? When i look for command "vnclicense" i dont find it. I just have
vncserver, vncclient, vncconfig, vncpasswd in my /usr/bin.*
*
*
*
*
*-------> Is this a problem due to *

- defective VNC installation that fails to clean up after itself

*
*
*

We are currently migrating users over to this environment and you can expect
to see increased demand . I need some solution or alternate plan. Please if
any of you could help me on this, that would be great.

Thanks
*

Breaker