Disconnect when switching users XP
I have installed on an XP system running as Service Mode, but with 2
different users that need to log on/off. When I connect with the single user
(under which I installed VNC) it works fine, but if I log out to switch
users, as soon as I type in the password to log on, the viewer window
closes. I cannot get it to log on to a second user account if there is
already one user logged on.
Thanks
Re: Disconnect when switching users XP [ In reply to ]
The free version does not support User Switching (FUS) in XP.
Nor does it support RDP.
Nor does it support Vista.
Nor does it support Windows 7.
Try UltraVNC.

Re: Disconnect when switching users XP [ In reply to ]
Hello,

> The free version does not support User Switching (FUS) in XP.
> Nor does it support RDP.
> Nor does it support Vista.
> Nor does it support Windows 7.
> Try UltraVNC.

TightVNC 2.0 supports that as well.

--
Best Regards,
Constantin

Re: Disconnect when switching users XP [ In reply to ]
> The free version does not support User Switching (FUS) in XP.
> Nor does it support RDP.
> Nor does it support Vista.
> Nor does it support Windows 7.
> Try UltraVNC.

... or TightVNC or TigerVNC

Bye,
Claudio.

Re: Disconnect when switching users XP [ In reply to ]
Great point. Is there a difference between UltraVNC and TightVNC?
The server and viewer are free right?
Which web site to use to obtain them?
I am thinking of switching from RealVNC on PCs. Assume those will connect with anyone still using RealVNC?

On the Macs we use VineServer from Redstone and Chicken of the VNC from Geekspiff.
Any suggested free alternates?

Dale-

On Mar 12, 2011, at 07:25 AM, Constantin Kaplinsky wrote:

Hello,

> The free version does not support User Switching (FUS) in XP.
> Nor does it support RDP.
> Nor does it support Vista.
> Nor does it support Windows 7.
> Try UltraVNC.

TightVNC 2.0 supports that as well.

--
Best Regards,
Constantin

Dale Eshelman
eshelmand@gmail.com

MonaVie (Distr ID 1316953)
http://www.monavie.com/Web/US/en/product_overview.dhtml

Kaching Kaching, Inc. (KCKC.OB)
http://www.mykachingkaching.com/daleeshelman

The closer I get to the pain of glass in Windoz, the farther I can see and I see a Mac on the horizon.

Re: Disconnect when switching users XP [ In reply to ]
Beware of TightVNC. One thing I like about RealVNC on a Mac is that I can configure it to put up a timed window to approve the password protected connection. VNC on the Mac is unfortunately only the primary desktop (:0) so I don't like the idea of lots of people I collaborate with, who know my VNC password, being able to connect while I'm not present and this timed approval is great for that. However, anybody connecting with TightVNC crashes every time I approve the connection when this approval setup is in place.

Regards,

Mick

RE: Disconnect when switching users XP [ In reply to ]
I believe UltraVNC only works on MSWindows.

Great point. Is there a difference between UltraVNC and TightVNC?
The server and viewer are free right?
Which web site to use to obtain them?
I am thinking of switching from RealVNC on PCs. Assume those will
connect with anyone still using RealVNC?

On the Macs we use VineServer from Redstone and Chicken of the VNC from
Geekspiff.
Any suggested free alternates?

Dale-

On Mar 12, 2011, at 07:25 AM, Constantin Kaplinsky wrote:

Hello,

> The free version does not support User Switching (FUS) in XP.
> Nor does it support RDP.
> Nor does it support Vista.
> Nor does it support Windows 7.
> Try UltraVNC.

TightVNC 2.0 supports that as well.

--
Best Regards,
Constantin

Dale Eshelman
eshelmand@gmail.com

MonaVie (Distr ID 1316953)
http://www.monavie.com/Web/US/en/product_overview.dhtml

Kaching Kaching, Inc. (KCKC.OB)
http://www.mykachingkaching.com/daleeshelman

The closer I get to the pain of glass in Windoz, the farther I can see
and I see a Mac on the horizon.

Goss ... Innovation for Business

NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachment(s) may contain confidential and proprietary information of Goss International Corporation and/or its subsidiaries and may be legally privileged. This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the addressee, dissemination, copying or other use of this e-mail or any of its content is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the sender immediately and destroy the e-mail and any copies. All liability for viruses is excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender. No contract may be construed by this e-mail.

RE: Disconnect when switching users XP [ In reply to ]
Can anyone recommend a good VNC server for Win7? I have Real and Tight and
when I connect to them, they seem REALLY SLOW!! The screen updates just
seem to take forever. Its not bandwidth because I can connect to XP
machines and the speed is just fine. Even the Win7 computer on the desk
next to mine when I connect to it, is very slow.

Anyone have any thoughts?? I'm using Real Free.

Kory Lindersmith
Dakota Retail Technologies
605-275-3855 ext. 114
www.dakretail.com

Re: Disconnect when switching users XP [ In reply to ]
Thanks,

On the Windows OS would one be better to use free UltaVNC server and client than Real?
What is the advantage of UltraVNC?

Then on Mac OS I would stick with my Vine Server and Chicken of the VNC (Real VNC based).
Does UltraVNC play nice with the Vine Server / Chicken of the VNC on the Mac OS if I switch on the Windows OS side?

Dale-

RE: Disconnect when switching users XP [ In reply to ]
Dale:

We use UltraVNC on our Windows machines, and it's free as far as I
know (I'm not involved in licensing and that kind of noise). I
have had better luck with the UVNC server than with the Real one,
but the vncviewer works about the same. RealVNC maintains the
protocol, and when UVNC, TightVNC, etc., want to create some new
kind of packet, they apply to RealVNC for a number, and AFAIK,
RealVNC gladly hands it out. I'm guessing that UVNC was written
by guys more familiar with MSWindows (only because it's not on
other platforms, not because of code quality; I haven't really
compared the codebases). I think the protocol is designed so that
unknown packet types are ignore/dropped, so that a viewer and a
server can always talk to one another, provided that they're both
using the same *version* of the protocol. That's the beauty of
RealVNC maintaining the protocol for everybody; all the various
flavors can all talk with one another (again, if they use the
same version). If U're having trouble with a viewer and a server
from different packages not communicating, it could be because
they're not both using the same version of the protocol.

Thx, Phil Long

________________________________

Re: Disconnect when switching users XP [ In reply to ]
Den 2011-03-15 17:48 skrev Long, Phillip GOSS:
> Dale:
>
> We use UltraVNC on our Windows machines, and it's free as far as I
> know (I'm not involved in licensing and that kind of noise). I
> have had better luck with the UVNC server than with the Real one,
> but the vncviewer works about the same. RealVNC maintains the
> protocol, and when UVNC, TightVNC, etc., want to create some new
> kind of packet, they apply to RealVNC for a number, and AFAIK,
> RealVNC gladly hands it out. I'm guessing that UVNC was written
> by guys more familiar with MSWindows (only because it's not on
> other platforms, not because of code quality; I haven't really
> compared the codebases). I think the protocol is designed so that
> unknown packet types are ignore/dropped, so that a viewer and a
> server can always talk to one another, provided that they're both
> using the same *version* of the protocol. That's the beauty of
> RealVNC maintaining the protocol for everybody; all the various
> flavors can all talk with one another (again, if they use the
> same version). If U're having trouble with a viewer and a server
> from different packages not communicating, it could be because
> they're not both using the same version of the protocol.

But UltraVNC is not conforming to the protocol. The UltraVNC client
has a chance to work with all other *current* RFB conforming servers,
but a client that is strictly conforming to the RFB protocol cannot
communicate with the UltraVNC server.

UltraVNC extended the protocol without coordinating with the RealVNC
protocol maintainers, and as a result everybody else must select
if they should have warts in the code that is outside the specs (and
a possible broken implementation should RealVNC decide to use the
mechanism used by UltraVNC for something of their liking) or drop
support for communicating with the UltraVNC server outright.

UltraVNC is in the embrace-and-extend camp and is a nasty piece of
work if you ask me. Sure, other implementations also extend the
RFB protocol, but most do it without sacrificing interoperability.
Or, at least they try to.

Caveat emptor: This was the situation last time I had a look, but
I doubt it has changed since.

Cheers,
Peter

Re: Disconnect when switching users XP [ In reply to ]
Thanks. With the many customers I connect with, it sounds like it is safer to keep RealVNC or risk not being able to connect to customer.

To bad real doesn't push the technology standards up.

Sent from my iPod Touch.
The further I look through the pain of glass in Windowz, the further I see and I see a Mac on the horizon.

Re: Disconnect when switching users XP [ In reply to ]
On 15-3-2011 15:17, Kory Lindersmith wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a good VNC server for Win7? I have Real and Tight and
You are drifting away from the toppic....

> when I connect to them, they seem REALLY SLOW!! The screen updates just
> seem to take forever. Its not bandwidth because I can connect to XP
> machines and the speed is just fine. Even the Win7 computer on the desk
> next to mine when I connect to it, is very slow.

Most likely it is in the screen-update settings at the remote machine.
Since most msWindows based vnc I know do a capture of the display memory
once in a while, best to set the screen-settings as basic as possible.
Then twiggle with the screen update settings and see what suits your needs.

In the end, native protocols like rdp for mswindows will have better
implementation with the display-software and hence perform better.

CBee

Re: Disconnect when switching users XP [ In reply to ]
Hello Mick,

> Beware of TightVNC. One thing I like about RealVNC on a Mac is that I
> can configure it to put up a timed window to approve the password
> protected connection. VNC on the Mac is unfortunately only the
> primary desktop (:0) so I don't like the idea of lots of people I
> collaborate with, who know my VNC password, being able to connect
> while I'm not present and this timed approval is great for that.
> However, anybody connecting with TightVNC crashes every time I
> approve the connection when this approval setup is in place.

Please describe the problem in more details. How does that look like
when "anybody connecting with TightVNC crashes"? We are very interested
to resolve this problem if it's a problem of TightVNC.

--
Best Regards,
Constantin

Re: Disconnect when switching users XP [ In reply to ]
> Hello Mick,

> > Beware of TightVNC. One thing I like about RealVNC on a Mac is that I
> > can configure it to put up a timed window to approve the password
> > protected connection. VNC on the Mac is unfortunately only the
> > primary desktop (:0) so I don't like the idea of lots of people I
> > collaborate with, who know my VNC password, being able to connect
> > while I'm not present and this timed approval is great for that.
> > However, anybody connecting with TightVNC crashes every time I
> > approve the connection when this approval setup is in place.
>
> Please describe the problem in more details. How does that look like
> when "anybody connecting with TightVNC crashes"? We are very interested
> to resolve this problem if it's a problem of TightVNC.

In my office I've the same problem, it should depend by the protocol and
color depth. With hextile and 24bit it works.

> --
> Best Regards,
> Constantin

Bye,
Claudio.

Re: Disconnect when switching users XP [ In reply to ]
Hello Claudio,

> In my office I've the same problem, it should depend by the protocol and
> color depth. With hextile and 24bit it works.

If possible, please describe the problem in our bug tracker. We are
about to release new versions (2.0.3 and 2.1 BETA) and there is a chance
we'll fix things before the releases.

Here is the page which describes how to use TightVNC bug tracker:

http://www.tightvnc.com/bugs.php

Thank you!

--
Best Regards,