I am using VNC Viewer Free Edition 4.1.3 on XP and accessing a PC running VNC Server Free Edition 4.1.3 in Service Mode also on Windows XP. In many programs, the locally rendered cursor disappears when in an editable text field. A simple example is Notepad. When hovering over a menu, the arrow cursor is displayed as expected. But over the main text editing area, where you would normally get the "I-beam" cursor, I see nothing.

I know about the Render cursor locally option. I have had to turn it off since otherwise the cursor totally disappears in many places as mentioned above. But I would like to be able to use this feature as the mouse action is much smoother with it on, especially with slower connections.

Any ideas?
RE: Cursor disappears in Notepad [ In reply to ]
Might be worth checking your mouse settings - there's an option to "hide
cursor when typing" that might be responsible for this. Check server and
viewer.

Philip Herlihy

RE: Cursor disappears in Notepad [ In reply to ]
It wasn't the "hide cursor when typing" option, but I did find a solution. Under Mouse->Pointers, I changed the cursor for "Text Select" (the I-beam) to something thicker. Apparently, the local rendering doesn't work on cursors that are only 1-pixel thick. I switched to a 2-pixel thick I-beam and it works!

On a related note, I was trying out the Personal Edition viewer and I couldn't find the local cursor option in the GUI. Eventually I discovered it in the "Expert" tab, UseLocalCursor option, which defaults to False. Just an FYI for anyone else looking for that setting.

-Jon