Mailing List Archive

Minimum response time and maximum framerate?
I'm currently doing my master thesis at a company interested in using
the new Terminal Mode protocol developed by Nokia and the CE4A group.
Terminal Mode is using the VNC protocol to run programs on a mobile
device, e.g. a mobile phone, through the car's infotainment system
(with TM support).

Right now I'm curious about the ideal performance using VNC. I
understand how the RFB protocol works and that speed is mainly
dependent on the amount of pixel being sent and the transfer speed of
the network, but what I'm interested in is the minimum response time
for mouse button and keyboard presses and the maximum framerate
archeivable in an ideal environment. TM is meant to set a new industry
standard, but I'm sceptical to the VNC solution in times like these
when everything will be expected to run as smooth as an iPhone.
Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards
- Erik