Mailing List Archive

[SOLVED]Re: failure of persistence of control key
It looks like I have solved this problem. I don't think it has anything
to do with VNC. I have two Ubuntu boxes -- one in my office running Xvnc
server and one at home. When I was connecting to office Xvnc from home,
it was working fine. When I connected to Xvnc in the office from that
same office Ubuntu machine, I was getting the issue described below. I
thought about what was different between home and office. At home I had
enabled this option in Gnome > System > Preferences > Mouse:

show position of pointer when the Control key is pressed

It was not enabled on the office machine. I enabled it in the office and
then the problem was solved. Note that Gnome is running on the desktop of
the machine that is running Xvnc, but I'm not using Gnome in VNC, I'm
using IceWM.

It's funny, isn't it? I would have thought that enabling that feature
would have caused problems, not the other way around, but enabling the
feature fixed the problem.

Mike

Re: [SOLVED]Re: failure of persistence of control key [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 17 Nov 2010, Mike Miller wrote:

> It looks like I have solved this problem. I don't think it has anything
> to do with VNC. I have two Ubuntu boxes -- one in my office running
> Xvnc server and one at home. When I was connecting to office Xvnc from
> home, it was working fine. When I connected to Xvnc in the office from
> that same office Ubuntu machine, I was getting the issue described
> below. I thought about what was different between home and office. At
> home I had enabled this option in Gnome > System > Preferences > Mouse:
>
> show position of pointer when the Control key is pressed
>
> It was not enabled on the office machine. I enabled it in the office
> and then the problem was solved. Note that Gnome is running on the
> desktop of the machine that is running Xvnc, but I'm not using Gnome in
> VNC, I'm using IceWM.
>
> It's funny, isn't it? I would have thought that enabling that feature
> would have caused problems, not the other way around, but enabling the
> feature fixed the problem.

Unfortunately, I was mistaken about that fix. I think the problem has
something to do with full-screen mode. If I am not in full screen mode,
my ctrl keys don't work -- not for keystrokes and not for mouse clicks --
but they do work in full-screen mode. When I am connecting to localhost,
it seems that after some time my control keys will stop working correctly,
losing their persistence, but when I leave full-screen mode and return to
it, they will work correctly again. Leaving full-screen mode to change
Gnome settings provided a temporary fix, but not because I had changed the
settings. So this issue remains "NOT SOLVED." ;-(

Mike