Mailing List Archive

VNC over SSH
Hello there,

I've got a question about connecting to my VNC server over SSH from a
Macintosh.

I've got my VNC server running on a CEntOS 5.4 box. If I just enter the
IP address & firewall port (i.e. 10.16.0.136:7) I can connect fine using
Real VNC's "VNC Viewer Enterprise Edition" version E4.5.2 client
software from my Mac (OS X 10.5.8), or using the "VNC Viewer Free
Edition" version 4.1.2 on my PC (XP).

However, problems arise when I try to initiate a connection over SSH
(i.e. 10.16.0.136 localhost:7). On the PC, it seems to work fine
-- although, is there a way to verify that the connection is indeed over
SSH? The connection info panel doesn't seem to indicate either way.

On the Mac, when I try to connect over SSH, I get this error:

"getaddrinfo: nodename nor servname provided, or not known (8)"

A Google search turned up articles pointing to Apple's implementation of
OpenSSL. I was just curious if anyone else had this same problem.

Thanks,

-Byron

Byron Veale
Webmaster