Mailing List Archive

Mac enterprise server is slower than windows enterprise server
I have two machines on a wired network. A win xp machine and a mac
book pro. Both systems have vnc enterprise servers and viewers
version 4.5.x installed with the servers configured to operate in
service mode.

When I use the mac vnc viewer app to access the windows machine vnc
server and thus remotely control the windows machine, the speed is
incredible, like sitting at the actual windows computer.

When I use the windows vnc viewer to access the mac vnc server and
thus remotely control the mac, the speed is horrible, about 1/4th the
speed of the aforementioned scenario. When moving a window or
scrolling a page, I can count to "2" (so about 1 to 2 seconds lag)
before the scrolled page or moved window updates on the vnc viewer
window. Clicking pull down menus at the top of the screen takes
several moments for them to appear in the viewer. I have the mac
machine (running the vnc server) sitting next to me to test this while
I access from the windows vnc viewer, and the screen updates are
obviously instantaneous on the actual mac. So the lag is in the vnc
connection itself.

On both systems, I have the viewers set to 'adapt to network speed'.
Even going manual and sliding the slider to 'most compression' does
not work. In fact, while reducing the colors and making things hard
to read, it actually seems to make the mac vnc server even slower to
respond.

What should I check or adjust to help increase the performance of the
mac vnc server, as this level of performance is nearly unusable.....

Thanks!
Vince

Re: Mac enterprise server is slower than windows enterprise server [ In reply to ]
On 19-2-2010 20:55, Mr. B wrote:
> I have two machines on a wired network. A win xp machine and a mac
> book pro. Both systems have vnc enterprise servers and viewers
> version 4.5.x installed with the servers configured to operate in
> service mode.
>
> When I use the mac vnc viewer app to access the windows machine vnc
> server and thus remotely control the windows machine, the speed is
> incredible, like sitting at the actual windows computer.
>
> When I use the windows vnc viewer to access the mac vnc server and
> thus remotely control the mac, the speed is horrible, about 1/4th the
> speed of the aforementioned scenario. When moving a window or
> scrolling a page, I can count to "2" (so about 1 to 2 seconds lag)
> before the scrolled page or moved window updates on the vnc viewer
> window. Clicking pull down menus at the top of the screen takes
> several moments for them to appear in the viewer. I have the mac
> machine (running the vnc server) sitting next to me to test this while
> I access from the windows vnc viewer, and the screen updates are
> obviously instantaneous on the actual mac. So the lag is in the vnc
> connection itself.
>
> On both systems, I have the viewers set to 'adapt to network speed'.
> Even going manual and sliding the slider to 'most compression' does
> not work. In fact, while reducing the colors and making things hard
> to read, it actually seems to make the mac vnc server even slower to
> respond.
>
> What should I check or adjust to help increase the performance of the
> mac vnc server, as this level of performance is nearly unusable.....

I guess it is not the viewer that makes the difference, it is the server
side that makes the difference. That's the one that captures the screen
and sends it over to the viewer.

For msWindows, there is only one way to act as a vnc-server: replicating
the session at the console. Hence it is optimized to do so. In the old
days, it was just capturing (polling) the display memory. With curent
vnc-servers, hooks are used to effectively capture only changed parts.
At the server side, there are some options to tune and tweak this.

For unix there is a complete different approach: From the start (way
back in the '80s or early '90s) the vnc-server provides a new session,
complete independent from the console session. Only after the msWindows
implementation shows the console and unix became in use at the console,
this became wanted in the unix implementation. Since the unix console is
constructed in several layers, there are multiple aproaches to capture
the console:

Low level aproach: vnc-console-server captures the display memory: This
vnc-server is hooked to the X11 server, the display driver on unix
machines. Most implementation binaries start with a capital X. The
origional vnc-server reflects this by being called Xvnc. On linux this
is a module that can be loaded in the X11 environment and is configured
in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file or around.

The middle level aproach: vnc-console-server hooked into the window
manager: The window manager is the tool that effectively puts the
windows on the screen. These binaries most times end their name with
'wm'. Old/antique names include sunwm, xwm, cdwm, kwm and such. As far
as I know, the kwm (from the kde-bundle) does have
hooks/libraries/modules to act as a vnc-server.

The top level aproach: vnc-console-server hooked into the display
manager. This is the tool that hanldes the menus and such on your
system. I donnot know vnc-server implementations by head.

I'm sorry I donnot know what is available on apple, All I do know, it is
a unix implementation, hence, it uses one of the unix aproaches. I'm not
sure if you do have a choice on apple. All I do know is the more
low-level the vnc-server hooks into the system, the faster it is.

CBee

RE: Mac enterprise server is slower than windows enterprise server [ In reply to ]
I have two machines on a wired network. A win xp machine and a mac
book pro. Both systems have vnc enterprise servers and viewers
version 4.5.x installed with the servers configured to operate in
service mode.

<snip/>

What should I check or adjust to help increase the performance of the
mac vnc server, as this level of performance is nearly unusable.....

Thanks!
Vince

Vince:

Are U running anti-spyware software on the WinXP machine? If so,
it may be blocking (or perhaps even deliberately slowing) the VNC
packets. U might want to try to configure it to pass the VNC
ports untouched.

Thx, Phil

Goss ... Innovation for Business

NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachment(s) may contain confidential and proprietary information of Goss International Corporation and/or its subsidiaries and may be legally privileged. This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the addressee, dissemination, copying or other use of this e-mail or any of its content is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the sender immediately and destroy the e-mail and any copies. All liability for viruses is excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender. No contract may be construed by this e-mail.