Mailing List Archive

Can't connect to VNC Server when the User is not logged in the Server computer
Hi everyone,

I am using VNC Free edition and Win XP Pro for both Server and Viewer.
Could someone tell me why I can't connect to the VNC Server when the user of
the server is not logged in, from a Shut Down position? As soon as the user
logs in the server computer, I connect to it immediately.

I can connect to the server even when the user is NOT logged in the server
computer, from a Restart position but not from Shut Down.

Is there a way to overcome this problem?

Thanks in advance

Dean

Re: Can't connect to VNC Server when the User is not logged in the Server computer [ In reply to ]
Do you mean computer is shutdown and you want to take VNC? Why?

Re: Can't connect to VNC Server when the User is not logged in the Server computer [ In reply to ]
dean giang wrote:
> I am using VNC Free edition and Win XP Pro for both Server and Viewer.
> Could someone tell me why I can't connect to the VNC Server when the user of
> the server is not logged in, from a Shut Down position? As soon as the user
> logs in the server computer, I connect to it immediately.
>

> I can connect to the server even when the user is NOT logged in the server
> computer, from a Restart position but not from Shut Down.

If you install a decent/recent version of VNC, you can install it as a
service. Provided that this service is allowed to run (there are
policies possible that prevent this) then you can start vnc as a
boot-time service and you can use it to login at the console.

Start -> Programs -> RealVNC -> VNCServer(ServiceMode) -> Configure /
Register / Start are the options to use and get going. You might need to
do this at the physical console of the machine as it might interfear
with the current running vnc-service. You can use rdp to configure vnc.

If the above does not work as you'd expect, check the windows services
if you can find the vnc (realvnc) service and peek the eventlog if you
can find any reason why.

Success

Corné