How do I configure my router to allow me to view more than one computer in the same network? Please provide detailed instructions as I am not an expert in computer networking

Regards
Dean

RE: Accessing more than one computer [ In reply to ]
Presumably you've successfully routed port 5900 to the one machine you're
managing now.

You have two options, depending on the capabilities of your router. My
router allows me to "translate" an incoming port, so I can connect using
port nnnn and the receiving computer sees a connection on mmmm. If your
router can do this, then you can leave the VNC servers operating on port
5900, and set the router up to make the translation. With many routers, you
set up a named "service" for the incoming port, and set up the translation
when you configure the firewall "rule".

If your router won't do this, then you need to configure the VNC service to
use some other port, eg 5091. Then create additional "services" in your
router (you might name one VNC-5901) and set up additional rules to route
such connections to the desired machines. You can do this many times, for
many machines. To access the machine you want, simply append a colon and
the port number to the router's IP at the client. So, if you were
connecting now to a VNC server at 111.222.333.444 you'd instead use
111.222.333.444:5901.

Philip Herlihy, London

RE: Accessing more than one computer [ In reply to ]
> How do I configure my router to allow me to view more than
> one computer in the same network? Please provide detailed
> instructions as I am not an expert in computer networking

This has been covered a few times before (I think I even drew an ASCII
diagram to explain the logic). In essence, if your multiple host machines
are behind a router on a home or SoHo network, that router will have to be
able to support port mapping. You leave the listening ports as they are on
each host, and instead remap the incoming ports on the router, as that's
what all machines on the Internet will see as the 'internet-facing' device.

On my home network, I have (for example) port 16900 mapped to 5900 on
192.168.1.10, and port 17900 mapped to port 5900 on 192.168.1.20. Some
routers can do this, some can't so easily. What networking equipment and set
up do you have on the network hosting the VNC host machines?

Re: Accessing more than one computer [ In reply to ]
You need to look at your router's settings. You then create rules to
redirect different external ports to different internal IPs:

PORT 5900 ---> IP 192.168.0.10 - Port 5900
PORT 5901 ---> IP 192.168.0.11 - Port 5900

Re: Accessing more than one computer [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 18 November 2009, Philip Herlihy wrote:
> Presumably you've successfully routed port 5900 to the one machine
> you're managing now.
>
> You have two options, depending on the capabilities of your router. My
> router allows me to "translate" an incoming port, so I can connect using
> port nnnn and the receiving computer sees a connection on mmmm. If your
> router can do this, then you can leave the VNC servers operating on port
> 5900, and set the router up to make the translation. With many routers,
> you set up a named "service" for the incoming port, and set up the
> translation when you configure the firewall "rule".
>
> If your router won't do this, then you need to configure the VNC service
> to use some other port, eg 5091. Then create additional "services" in
> your router (you might name one VNC-5901) and set up additional rules
> to route such connections to the desired machines. You can do this
> many times, for many machines. To access the machine you want, simply
> append a colon and the port number to the router's IP at the client.
> So, if you were connecting now to a VNC server at 111.222.333.444 you'd
> instead use 111.222.333.444:5901.

I could be mistaken, but I thought if you were entering a *port* number you
needed to use a DOUBLE-colon, eg ::5901, whereas if you were specifying
just a "screen" number, you could do :1, or :2 (for 5902, etc.) Or was this
one of the things tweaked in more recent releases?

Re: Accessing more than one computer [ In reply to ]
On Wed Nov 18, 2009 at 02:04:51PM -0500, John Aldrich wrote:

> I could be mistaken, but I thought if you were entering a *port* number you
> needed to use a DOUBLE-colon, eg ::5901, whereas if you were specifying
> just a "screen" number, you could do :1, or :2 (for 5902, etc.) Or was this
> one of the things tweaked in more recent releases?

A double colon forces a port, otherwise the client assumes that anything
over 100 is a port, and anything under is a screen number.

Cheers,
Robin
--
___
( ' } | Robin Hill <robin@robinhill.me.uk> |

RE: Accessing more than one computer [ In reply to ]
Used to be the case, but a single colon works these days. Try it!

Philip Herlihy

Re: Accessing more than one computer [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 18 Nov 2009, Ricardo Stella wrote:

> You need to look at your router's settings. You then create rules to
> redirect different external ports to different internal IPs:
>
> PORT 5900 ---> IP 192.168.0.10 - Port 5900
> PORT 5901 ---> IP 192.168.0.11 - Port 5900
>
> deangiang@optusnet.com.au wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> How do I configure my router to allow me to view more than one computer
>> in the same network? Please provide detailed instructions as I am not
>> an expert in computer networking

This is usually done using a web interface to the router. You'll have to
look at your router documentation to figure out exactly how to do it.

Another trick is to make certain computers always have the same internal
IP so that the redirection always works. Again, how this is done depends
on exactly which router you own.

Mike