Mailing List Archive

VNC and Xdmcp, wrong hosts answering
I have realVNC viewer on windows hosts to allow graphic access to Linux
boxes.
On the linux side, I have xinetd with vnc definitions with the arguments
-inetd -broadcast -once -IdleTimeout 0 -depth 16 -securitytypes=none
-geometry=.....
Within X11, enabled port is 177.No firewalls are enabled between
partners.

On the windows side, when prompted, I put hosta:1 (or hostb or hostc...)
I do get the linux login splash panel but often it's for a different machine
eg calling for hosta, I may consistantly get hostc. When calling for hostb
I may get hosta the first time then hostc then next few times.

So clearly VNC is working but it sounds like something weird is going on
with xdmcp. As far as I can tell, all the hosts are identically configured
but
some are a further distance through network equipment. This almost sounds
like a race condition as to which one responds first.

Trying to telnet to the raw port (5900) on all of these machines works fine
and
consistantly. The syslogs have not shed any light on this either. Anyone
have any
ideas?

Thanks