No matter what I try I am not able to connect.

Any ideas?

John.
RE: Connecting [ In reply to ]
> I have installed VNC and I am attempting to connect to
> another computer.
>
> The other computer is the server and the IP is: 10.1.1.2
>
> No matter what I try I am not able to connect.
>
> Any ideas?

Checked your firewall? (TCP/IP settings? You want this dog?)

Sometimes security suites block incoming connections even though you think
the FW's disabled. Windows Firewall may also be blocking, although this is
less likely. Can you ping the host machine from your client machine? If you
grab a copy of nmap and run a port scan on the host, is port 5900 visible
from your client machine?

Re: Connecting [ In reply to ]
John Griffiths wrote:
> I have installed VNC and I am attempting to connect to another computer.
>
> The other computer is the server and the IP is: 10.1.1.2

By definition of this address (10.x.y.z) is not routed. Hence this
connection only works if your local machine is in the same subnet (also
10.x.y.z) and they can ping each other.

If you are remote, the routing runs over one or more routers, you most
likely need to setup a route, like a nat-route or something.

For what its worth, the 10.x.y.z address range is the A-class
free-range. There are more free-ranges, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network (or
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address) for details.