Mailing List Archive

XP crashes
Hi

I have been working with RealVNC for a long time.

I use the viewer on my XP machine, to control Linux Ubuntu on the other end.

The Ubuntu have it's own built-in server.

Starting yesterday, my XP hung up and needed to be resetted every time I
used the VNC viewer.

The problem doesn't occur immediately when I start the VNC session. It takes
2-3 minutes, and then it's always crashing.

I don't think I did any change with my XP (or Ubuntu) lately, except for few
updates installed by Microsoft.

Besides that my XP is working fine, I keep the machine up and running for
weeks, no blue screens.

Is that a known problem?

Any idea how to overcome it?

Thanks

Yigal

Re: XP crashes [ In reply to ]
Check event log for clues.

Regards,
Alex

RE: XP crashes [ In reply to ]
Hi Yigal,

The VNC Viewer is a user-level application (as opposed to a system service or driver), so in principle it's not possible for it to cause the host system to hang. Probably the most likely cause of hangs is that some part of your computer's network setup is faulty, perhaps due to a hardware fault, or a buggy driver installed as part of the Windows Update process. If the computer is actually blue-screening then you should find information in the Event Log describing the issue.

HTH,

--
Wez @ RealVNC Ltd