my home computer from my laptop as well. How would I purchase
licenses for this? Would I buy a personal license for each machine or
could I mix personal and free licenses?

Thanks a bunch,

Patrick Immel
Lighting and Scenic Designer
Northwest Missouri State University
patrickimmel.com

RE: Personal VNC question [ In reply to ]
Hi Patrick,

The VNC Personal & Enterprise Edition products are licensed per-desktop, so you need one license for each desktop you will remotely access using them.

For more details, you can submit a purchase enquiry via http://www.realvnc.com. Select Buy Now and get a quote for the number of licenses you need (in this case it sounds like one for work, one for home), then select the "Enquire now" link to contact our sales team, who will be happy to help.

HTH,

--
Wez @ RealVNC Ltd

RE: Personal VNC question [ In reply to ]
I use a mix of personal and free licenses. The Personal edition viewer is
freely downloadable and can access both types of server. You'd need a
license for each machine on which you'll be running the Personal Edition
server.

Bear in mind that you'll need to negotiate a port-forwarding arrangement
with network admin at your work if you're going to be able to initiate a
connection to a machine within the network from outside, or the firewall
will block it. At home you can set this up yourself.

It's more common to want to print something locally from the server to which
you're connected. You'd probably want to transfer the printable file (or
maybe a printable version) and kick off the print job on the remote machine.

Philip Herlihy

RE: Personal VNC question [ In reply to ]
> It's more common to want to print something locally from the server to
> which you're connected.

This is actually very rare in our business. We frequently print from our
client computers onto the server's printers, but rarely the reverse. I can
also see how a salesperson or on-site technician might wish to print orders,
reports, test results, etc., on the server's printers.
The world is an incredibly complex place and remote computing means
pretty much everything you can think of, someone is doing or trying to do.
We ran a Mom & Pop gift store on the north Oregon coast for 10 years, then
decided to start wintering in a sunnier climate. For the last six years we
have run our business part time from southern CA and the rest of the time
from a houseboat on a river about a two hour drive from our store. Both
locations are connected to the store by VPNs. My wife has a computer in the
store that is "hers". She logs into it in the morning and manages the
employees as if she were in the store because she can see every sale that
occurs as it occurs. She can then suggest ways to re-arrange the
merchandise to fill in the "hole" left by a tapestry or painting that is
sold. She can keep tabs on inventory and watch the sales, looking for a
lull when she can ask for physical counts. She can re-order important
merchandise as soon as it sells. Etc. When she is in the store she gets
too caught up in the fray to do this kind of oversight. This is why we've
done fine during the recession while other stores in our area are dying off
right and left. And I can look out the window to my left and see the river,
the herons, the boats and so on.

--Brian M. Godfrey
brian@wildbirdshop.com

Re: Personal VNC question [ In reply to ]
Brian,

It seems you have quite a good arrangement, and a great view from the office
;)

as for the printing and VPN issue, I am not sure what you do need is in fact
a terminal session provided by VNC or RDP. Network access (including access
to the printers) is not the solution for your needs?

If you can access the importante files on the servers disks, print to the
required printers, or even access the outlook personal folders from the
boat, for an instance, would it let you do your work?

VNC could be used just to systems administration and to access serverĀ“s
programs not available on the network, like the pos software...

A VPN bridge like the one you can have with OpenVPN (http://www.openvpn.net)
could give you the network printing and file access capabilities...

RE: Personal VNC question [ In reply to ]
I'm not the one who was asking about printing to a printer on the server.
I was just giving an example of the variety of uses that remote computing is
making possible. We do, in fact, have our printers mapped across the VPN
and we can print to the remote ones as if they were local on our system.
When my wife has created a new sign and wants to print it at the store she
uses the networked printers. But sometimes that's not what is needed. When
an employee calls or sends an email saying "the Reg3 printer isn't working",
I log onto Reg3 and work on it. I need to be able to use that printer
locally. Still a different thing. If my wife is at the gift show and wants
to print her orders at the store, she cannot do either of these things
because there's no VPN between her laptop in the hotel and the store's LAN.
But she has access to her computer in the store via VNC, and that would be a
case where we would want to print on the server's printer. (Instead, she
usually prints to PDFs because we don't like to waste paper. :-)
So we don't need it, but I think the original poster's desire to print
from his laptop onto the server's printer is quite reasonable. Does VNC
work on iPhones? ...

--Brian M. Godfrey
brian@wildbirdshop.com