Mailing List Archive

VNC over SSH
Hello,

I have just been the 2 arcicles on the VNC site, about SSH..

Just one problem...the link to the SSH Windows Client doesn't seem to work
anymore...it just redirects to the SSH.com site.
Has the program been removed?
If so, maybe someone who has it could tell me where to get it ??

Also, while i'm here, can I just check this will work:

I have:

On the network:
Ian - Win98 running vncserver:0
ICLinuxServer - Linux, running sshd

Then, somewhere else, on the internet..:
ICNotebook - Win98 running vncclient, and an ssh client (when I find
it...(see above..))

If I inderstand correctly, all I need to do, is to go to ICNotebook and do
the equivelent of this command, in windows:
ssh -L 5950:Ian:5900 ICLinuxServer

Is this correct?

So,

* When I am setting up a firewall on ICLinuxServer..which ports do I need to
leave 'open' for the above to work?

* What stops anyone doing this, and getting access to any of my ports, by
doing something like:
ssh -L 1234:ICLinuxServer:23
which will access the telnet port???

If you can help, please e-mail me at: ian@ichilton.co.uk

Thanks in Advance!!!

Bye for Now,

Ian

\|||/
(o o)
/----------------ooO-(_)-Ooo---------------\
| Ian Chilton |
| |
| E-Mail: ian@ichilton.co.uk |
| Web Page: http://www.ianchilton.co.uk |
\------------------------------------------/

All e-mail is forwarded to my mobile phone.
(Unless it includes an attachment)

However, I only receive the first 150 characters.
Please structure your message accordingly.

"Unix is user friendly - it's just picky about it's friends."

"Windows is a 32 bit patch to a 16 bit GUI based on a 8 bit operating system
written for a 4 bit processor by a 2 bit company

Re: VNC over SSH [ In reply to ]
Setup the SSH server and VNC server on the Linux box.

Setup the Client PC:
Launch PuTTY.
Under session:
Host Name: your Unix box FQDN or IP
Click SSH
Give the session a name

Under: Connection / SSH / Tunnels
Enter a port forward for Local
Source Port: 5901
Destination: localhost:5900
Click Add

Click on session again and save it.

Now launch (Open) your PuTTY session and logon to your Linux box's SSH
server.
Then launch your VNC Viewer and enter localhost:1 as the VNC Server. Your
SSH session will forward it to your Linux box. You should get prompted for
the VNC Password setup on the VNC server on Linux.

You should now be connected to the Linux box via VNC.

GL
Carl