where i see Nginx is not only a web server but a balancer for
http/pop/imap/smtp

and do you have any further designs for other protocols or straight http ?
varnish and Nginx [ In reply to ]
Dingo <outbackdingo at gmail.com> writes:
> How would one compare say varnich with nginx [...] where i see Nginx
> is not only a web server but a balancer for http/pop/imap/smtp

Varnish is neither of these.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav
Senior Software Developer
varnish and Nginx [ In reply to ]
----- Dingo <outbackdingo at gmail.com> wrote:
> How would one compare say varnich with nginx
> http://wiki.codemongers.com/Nginx
> where i see Nginx is not only a web server but a balancer for
> http/pop/imap/smtp

Interesting question. I have myself been looking at Nginx, mainly for its capabilities as a web loadbalancer / front-end.

From what I've read Nginx is not a cahce per se. It does serve static content (like any other webserver), can be coupled with fastcgi backends to serve dynamic content, and can also be used as an accelerating reverse proxy, in that it handles requests on behalf of slower backend servers (including loadbalancing). It does not (AFAIK) function as a web cache.

Varnish is a web cache, and to serve any content at all you need some sort of webserver behind it.

Regards
--
Denis Braekhus - Teknisk Ansvarlig ABC Startsiden AS
http://www.startsiden.no
varnish and Nginx [ In reply to ]
So its feasible to run Nginx as the server/load balancer and varnish as
the front end cache giving potentially a decent high speed/high capacity
design.

varnish and Nginx [ In reply to ]
----- Dingo <outbackdingo at gmail.com> wrote:
> So its feasible to run Nginx as the server/load balancer and varnish
> as the front end cache giving potentially a decent high speed/high
> capacity design.

Well, I have no experience with Nginx whatsoever, but yes, both could be components in a high speed/high capacity design.

Regards
varnish and Nginx [ In reply to ]
Dingo <outbackdingo at gmail.com> writes:

> So its feasible to run Nginx as the server/load balancer and varnish
> as the front end cache giving potentially a decent high speed/high
> capacity design.

Yes, those two will complement eachother.

--
Stig Sandbeck Mathisen, Linpro
varnish and Nginx [ In reply to ]
On Jul 3, 2007, at 7:05 AM, Stig Sandbeck Mathisen wrote:

> Dingo <outbackdingo at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> So its feasible to run Nginx as the server/load balancer and varnish
>> as the front end cache giving potentially a decent high speed/high
>> capacity design.
>
> Yes, those two will complement eachother.

in fact, lovely systems is using that very constellation and
apparently has had good success with it.

they've discribed their setup at the recent german zope conference.
perhaps you might find their presentation interesting:

http://www.zope.de/redaktion/dzug/tagung/potsdam-2007/folien/potsdam-
zope3-performance.pdf/view

hth,

tom

varnish and Nginx [ In reply to ]
On Jul 9, 2007, at 10:28 PM, Tom Lazar wrote:

> they've discribed their setup at the recent german zope conference.
> perhaps you might find their presentation interesting:
>
> http://www.zope.de/redaktion/dzug/tagung/potsdam-2007/folien/potsdam-
> zope3-performance.pdf/view

or perhaps not... i just browsed through the pdf and it's not really
informative without jodok's talk, don't bother with it (i was in the
room at the time and found the story quite compelling).