Will Varnish have SNMP support in the future? It would be very nice to
have a Varnish MIB to check how things are going.

Marco Ramos
SNMP support [ In reply to ]
In message <1179138385.18576.4.camel at supernova>, Marco Ramos writes:

>Will Varnish have SNMP support in the future? It would be very nice to
>have a Varnish MIB to check how things are going.

First off, I'm not sure I agree, but I am biased, I've been around
since SNMPv1 :-)

Second, implementing SNMP support in a portable way is unfortunately the
same as implementing all of SNMP, there are no agreed on portable
API's for implementing SNMP. (Another POSIX failure there).

Thirdly, somebody would have to sponsor the work.

So I would say the answer to your question is: "unlikely".

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe
SNMP support [ In reply to ]
"Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> writes:
> Marco Ramos <mramos at co.sapo.pt> writes:
> > Will Varnish have SNMP support in the future? It would be very nice to
> > have a Varnish MIB to check how things are going.
> First off, I'm not sure I agree, but I am biased, I've been around
> since SNMPv1 :-)

I don't think SNMP support has much value in an of itself, but it has
the advantage of being easy to integrate with existing big-name
monitoring tools such as CA Unicenter.

> Second, implementing SNMP support in a portable way is unfortunately the
> same as implementing all of SNMP, there are no agreed on portable
> API's for implementing SNMP. (Another POSIX failure there).
>
> Thirdly, somebody would have to sponsor the work.
>
> So I would say the answer to your question is: "unlikely".

One cheap way of doing it would be to write a bsnmpd plugin that reads
and exports information from the shared memory stats segment. It would
work out of the box on FreeBSD (provided you enable bsnmpd); on other
systems, you'd have to port bsnmpd first.

Still, it's probably not something we're interested in doing without a
sponsor.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav