Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav
Senior Software Developer
Linpro AS - www.linpro.no
branches/1.0 updated [ In reply to ]
* Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav
> I've merged trunk into branches/1.0.
>
> I actually only intended to merge up to r1288, but SVK ignored the
> range I specified and merged everything.
>
> This does not mean I'm preparing a release (especially now that I
> can't trust SVK to DTRT), just that I consider some of the changes in
> trunk to be sufficiently stable and sufficiently useful that it might
> make sense for people to track branches/1.0 to get something a little
> newer than the latest release, but not quite bleeding edge.
>
> Specifically, I consider trunk up to and including r1288 to be both a
> significant improvement over 1.0.3 and relatively low-risk. Changes
> in this range include improved backend handling, a fix for a
> (non-exploitable) buffer overflow in the management interface, and
> improved documentation.

If these are not changes enough to roll 1.0.4, when (if ever) can we
expect a new 1.0 release?

> The corresponding revision on branches/1.0 is r1331, which you can
> check out with the following Subversion command:
>
> % svn co -r1331 http://varnish.projects.linpro.no/svn/branches/1.0 varnish

With these improvements, would you say it's still appropriate to run
1.0.3 in production environments?

Ingvar
branches/1.0 updated [ In reply to ]
In message <1177082013.6003.58.camel at re.e37>, Ingvar Hagelund writes:
>* Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav

>> Specifically, I consider trunk up to and including r1288 to be both a
>> significant improvement over 1.0.3 and relatively low-risk. Changes
>> in this range include improved backend handling, a fix for a
>> (non-exploitable) buffer overflow in the management interface, and
>> improved documentation.
>
>If these are not changes enough to roll 1.0.4, when (if ever) can we
>expect a new 1.0 release?

I can easily be argued that the changes to pass mode alone warrants
a 1.0.4

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe
branches/1.0 updated [ In reply to ]
Ingvar Hagelund <ingvar at linpro.no> writes:
> Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav <des at linpro.no> writes:
> > Specifically, I consider trunk up to and including r1288 to be both a
> > significant improvement over 1.0.3 and relatively low-risk. Changes
> > in this range include improved backend handling, a fix for a
> > (non-exploitable) buffer overflow in the management interface, and
> > improved documentation.
> If these are not changes enough to roll 1.0.4, when (if ever) can we
> expect a new 1.0 release?

These changes alone might have warranted a 1.0.4 release on Friday if
I had had time to prepare it.

As things are, we are most likely looking at 1.1 on May 20th, or
possibly a simultaneous release of 1.0.4 (corresponding to r1331) and
1.1 (corresponding to the current state of trunk plus URL rewriting
and header manipulation).

> > The corresponding revision on branches/1.0 is r1331, which you can
> > check out with the following Subversion command:
> >
> > % svn co -r1331 http://varnish.projects.linpro.no/svn/branches/1.0 varnish
> With these improvements, would you say it's still appropriate to run
> 1.0.3 in production environments?

Yes, definitely. Think of it as 1.0.3 with bug fixes and improved
documentation. This is why I set the cutoff at r1288; beyond that
point, there are changes in the VCL compiler which will need some time
to settle.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav