Should I try building a version from SVN? Or is this a known issue?

Best Regards,

Michael Weck
1.02 children die under high load [ In reply to ]
In message <45C17985.3070105 at weck.us>, Michael Weck writes:

>I can get Varnish to run and forward requests to the backend server and
>serve up those requests, however the process seems to reset itself under
>load. When I run varnishstat the counter gets to about 10 seconds, then
>it resets. That is at around 130 requests/second. The backend server is
>Lighttpd 1.4.11

Run varnishd with "-d -d" arguments and type "param.show"

Make sure the threadpool maximum is larger than 1

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe
1.02 children die under high load [ In reply to ]
Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <45C17985.3070105 at weck.us>, Michael Weck writes:
>
>> I can get Varnish to run and forward requests to the backend server and
>> serve up those requests, however the process seems to reset itself under
>> load. When I run varnishstat the counter gets to about 10 seconds, then
>> it resets. That is at around 130 requests/second. The backend server is
>> Lighttpd 1.4.11

Thats the same problem as we have, when running lighttpd 1.4.13 as the
backend, varnish resets when the traffic load gets high enough.

> Run varnishd with "-d -d" arguments and type "param.show"
>
> Make sure the threadpool maximum is larger than 1

Ive set threadpool max to 1000, we are not close to that number of
threads, it usually stays between 100-200.

Stein

Denne fotnoten bekrefter at denne e-postmeldingen ble
skannet av MailSweeper og funnet fri for virus.
This footnote confirms that this email message has been
swept by MailSweeper for the presence of computer viruses.
1.02 children die under high load [ In reply to ]
In message <45C6EE82.8020903 at vg.no>, Stein Ove Rosseland writes:
>Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>> In message <45C17985.3070105 at weck.us>, Michael Weck writes:
>>
>>> I can get Varnish to run and forward requests to the backend server and
>>> serve up those requests, however the process seems to reset itself under
>>> load. When I run varnishstat the counter gets to about 10 seconds, then
>>> it resets. That is at around 130 requests/second. The backend server is
>>> Lighttpd 1.4.11
>>
>Thats the same problem as we have, when running lighttpd 1.4.13 as the
>backend, varnish resets when the traffic load gets high enough.

Ok, then it's probably some of the missing error handling code on the
backend connections.

It's on the list.