--
Lennart Regebro, Nuxeo http://www.nuxeo.com/
CPS Content Management http://www.nuxeo.org/
Assertion error in ev_now() [ In reply to ]
On 11/16/06, Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> wrote:
> Assert error in ev_now(), mgt_event.c line 81:
> Condition(clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC,&ts) == 0) not true.
>
> Very weird. Varnish installed fine on the preproduction machine, and
> this production machine is supposed to be reasonably similar...

I copied the installation from teh preproduction to the production,
and got the same error, so it's not from a difference in compilation,
but a difference in the environment, either OS, libraries or hardware.
But I have no idea what. Any ideas welcome.

Assertion error in ev_now() [ In reply to ]
On 11/16/06, Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/16/06, Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Assert error in ev_now(), mgt_event.c line 81:
> > Condition(clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC,&ts) == 0) not true.
> >
> > Very weird. Varnish installed fine on the preproduction machine, and
> > this production machine is supposed to be reasonably similar...
>
> I copied the installation from teh preproduction to the production,
> and got the same error, so it's not from a difference in compilation,
> but a difference in the environment, either OS, libraries or hardware.
> But I have no idea what. Any ideas welcome.

New adventures in Varnish: Turns out the machines have wildly
differing Linux versions. 2.6.17.6 vs 2.4.31. Could that be the
difference? 2.4... that's pretty old.

Assertion error in ev_now() [ In reply to ]
* Lennart Regebro
> New adventures in Varnish: Turns out the machines have wildly
> differing Linux versions. 2.6.17.6 vs 2.4.31. Could that be the
> difference? 2.4... that's pretty old.

Varnish is designed for FreeBSD 6 and Linux 2.6. It will not work
properly with Linux 2.4.

Ingvar

--
N?r alt annet feiler: Symlink
Assertion error in ev_now() [ In reply to ]
On 11/17/06, Ingvar Hagelund <ingvar at linpro.no> wrote:
> * Lennart Regebro
> > New adventures in Varnish: Turns out the machines have wildly
> > differing Linux versions. 2.6.17.6 vs 2.4.31. Could that be the
> > difference? 2.4... that's pretty old.
>
> Varnish is designed for FreeBSD 6 and Linux 2.6. It will not work
> properly with Linux 2.4.

OK, that's what I though. Thanks for the confirmation.

Assertion error in ev_now() [ In reply to ]
Varnish does not support Linux 2.4.

It might work, but we will never check if it does. The reason is that
Varnish uses "modern" OS features. That's the reason it performs so
well :)

YS
Anders Berg

Assertion error in ev_now() [ In reply to ]
"Lennart Regebro" <regebro at gmail.com> writes:
> Assert error in ev_now(), mgt_event.c line 81:
> Condition(clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC,&ts) == 0) not true.
> [...]
> New adventures in Varnish: Turns out the machines have wildly
> differing Linux versions. 2.6.17.6 vs 2.4.31. Could that be the
> difference? 2.4... that's pretty old.

Looks like 2.4 doesn't have a monotonic clock. We should check for
that in configure.ac...

DES
--
Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav
Senior Software Developer
Assertion error in ev_now() [ In reply to ]
In message <ujrejrxkkol.fsf at cat.linpro.no>, Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgra
v?= writes:
>"Lennart Regebro" <regebro at gmail.com> writes:
>> Assert error in ev_now(), mgt_event.c line 81:
>> Condition(clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC,&ts) =3D=3D 0) not true.
>> [...]
>> New adventures in Varnish: Turns out the machines have wildly
>> differing Linux versions. 2.6.17.6 vs 2.4.31. Could that be the
>> difference? 2.4... that's pretty old.
>
>Looks like 2.4 doesn't have a monotonic clock. We should check for
>that in configure.ac...

We can fall back to CLOCK_REALTIME in that case, but we suffer ill
effects if the clock is stepped (by NTPD or otherwise).

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe
Assertion error in ev_now() [ In reply to ]
On 11/21/06, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
> We can fall back to CLOCK_REALTIME in that case, but we suffer ill
> effects if the clock is stepped (by NTPD or otherwise).

And how necessary is it to support Linux 2.4 in the first place?
Failing when you run ./configure seems to be a good option to me.