Mailing List Archive

FYI: Installation instructions updated to include Mac OS X
I just installed varnish successfully on my OSX boxen and edited the
installation instructions[1] accordingly.

it's just two additional steps:

--snip--
1. install `automake`, i.e. via [http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/
Darwin Ports]: `sudo port install automake` as the version of
`automake` that ships with OS X is too old.

2. patch the `autogen.sh` file:

{{{
10a11,15
> if [ -e /opt/local/bin/automake ] ; then
> PATH=/opt/local/bin:${PATH}
> export PATH
> fi

30c35
< libtoolize --copy --force
---
> glibtoolize --copy --force
}}}

''n.b. this assumes you are using the abovementioned [http://
darwinports.opendarwin.org/ Darwin Ports]. The key point is to insert
the path to your newer version of `automake` '''before''' the system
path in order to 'hide' the old version from `autogen.sh`.''

--snap--

cheers,

tom

[1] http://varnish.projects.linpro.no/wiki/Installation
FYI: Installation instructions updated to include Mac OS X [ In reply to ]
On Oct 28, 2006, at 7:10 PM, Tom Lazar wrote:

> I just installed varnish successfully on my OSX boxen and edited
> the installation instructions[1] accordingly.

Just curious, what happened to those missing time functions on OSX?
/Eirik

FYI: Installation instructions updated to include Mac OS X [ In reply to ]
Hi Eirik,

I've been wanting to share a quick n'dirty patch to get it to work on OS
X with a clock_gettime hack, but as I updated to the current SVN
version, I saw this commit:

http://projects.linpro.no/pipermail/varnish-commit/2006-October/001218.html

It should answer your question. BTW, I ponder wether it's better to use
gettimeofday-style or something like:
host_get_clock_service(mach_host_self(), REALTIME_CLOCK, &myClock);
clock_get_time(myClock, &myTime);

I bet the current compat hack is better, because it doesn't involve
including mach headers.

Anyway, thanks to the ones that made it possible and thanks for this
quality software!
--
Pierre Queinnec
Architecte - Zenika

FYI: Installation instructions updated to include Mac OS X [ In reply to ]
Pierre Queinnec <pierre at queinnec.org> writes:
> I've been wanting to share a quick n'dirty patch to get it to work on OS
> X with a clock_gettime hack, but as I updated to the current SVN
> version, I saw this commit:
>
> http://projects.linpro.no/pipermail/varnish-commit/2006-October/001218.html
>
> It should answer your question. BTW, I ponder wether it's better to use
> gettimeofday-style or something like:
> host_get_clock_service(mach_host_self(), REALTIME_CLOCK, &myClock);
> clock_get_time(myClock, &myTime);
>
> I bet the current compat hack is better, because it doesn't involve
> including mach headers.

The correct solution is to pester Apple until they implement
clock_gettime(), which is required by POSIX.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav
Senior Software Developer
FYI: Installation instructions updated to include Mac OS X [ In reply to ]
On Oct 31, 2006, at 8:39 PM, Eirik ?verby wrote:

> On Oct 28, 2006, at 7:10 PM, Tom Lazar wrote:
>
>> I just installed varnish successfully on my OSX boxen and edited
>> the installation instructions[1] accordingly.
>
> Just curious, what happened to those missing time functions on OSX?

not sure about that issue (sorry for the late response)

atm varnish doesn't actually run on my mac. i don't have the error
handy, but i guess it means, for the time being, that varnish
compiles but doesn't run on mac os x.

cheers,

tom