Mailing List Archive

varnish for EPEL?
CC to the varnish-dist list.

* Warren Togami

* Ingvar Hagelund skrev:
> Yes, I do. I just have, as most others in the business it seems, too
> little time :-)

I looked over the "Packaging Guidelines and Policies for EPEL" document.
during the weekend. Since there are no security team for EPEL, it looks
like I would have to maintain a fixed stable release of for example
varnish-1.1.2 myself, for the whole lifespan of RHEL4 and/or 5. This
means quite a lot of time for a fixed version, with the risk of finding
serious bugs and security holes over time. Being no C coder, I would not
be able to backport bug- and security fixes from newer versions of
varnish to this stable release myself, when the 1.1 series is obsoleted.
I asked the upstream developers if they would be able to help me
maintaining such a relase, but they don't have the manpower to do this.

With the current policies for EPEL, I'm sorry to say that I can't take
this responsibility alone. Any help on this would of course be very
welcome, and as the Fedora maintainer, I would welcome an invitation to
co-maintain the package in EPEL if others step forward.

I will continue to produce packages of new upstream versions for el4 and
el5, and put them on sourceforge.

Ingvar

--
Buddha wears an iPod