Mailing List Archive

Varnish configuration / (s)maxage
Hi guys.

We are using varnish very successfully. I would like to give you guys
whatever feedback that I can.
The Zope/Plone system has a fairly sophisticated control system for
interacting with cache servers like Squid or Varnish. And I was under
the impression that one of the way people configure Zope/Plone is like
this:

maxage: 0
smaxage: 604800
expires: in the past
proxy-must-revalidate

This basically states we want to cache in varnish for a week but never
in the browser. This is a control that we use with Squid very
successfully. Unfortunately this configuration does not seem to work
with varnish well.

What I spoke with phk about on #varnish was some mechanism for us to
peer into the cache so I can:

- Query to see what is cached
- See what each entry looks like

Early on in one of our configurations incorrect vcl configuration was
crashing varnishd. That was kinda ugly. Once it was configured
correctly -- all is well.

varnish is amazing! I have a lot of feature requests *grin*. But
what is important that there is a large community, Zope/Plone that
could benefit from this technology. The community is already familiar
with complex caching configurations and most large systems use Squid
in production. Moving to varnish is a no-brainer. Especially once
varnish reaches feature parity with squid. Specifically vary support.

cheers
alan runyan
~runyaga

Varnish configuration / (s)maxage [ In reply to ]
"Alan Runyan" <runyaga at gmail.com> writes:
> varnish is amazing! I have a lot of feature requests *grin*. But
> what is important that there is a large community, Zope/Plone that
> could benefit from this technology. The community is already familiar
> with complex caching configurations and most large systems use Squid
> in production. Moving to varnish is a no-brainer. Especially once
> varnish reaches feature parity with squid. Specifically vary support.

Thank you for your feedback.

I hope Poul-Henning will have time to look into your cache-control
issues. As for Zope/Plone integration, we are planning to develop
some sort of "best practices" document offering advice for integrating
Varnish with various CMS frameworks. If you wish to contribute your
experience, contact me off-list and I will set you up with wiki
access.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav
Senior Software Developer
Varnish configuration / (s)maxage [ In reply to ]