Mailing List Archive

Linux: rev 949 trunk is stable..not sure about others
Have been running on varnish/trunk revision 949 for a few days now.
Other than a high cpu issue which is resolved by restarting varnish once
a day, varnish has been very good.

Just tested latest trunk build at 971 with bad result. Connections are
stalling.

Trying to backtrack in revision to see where it broke but I can't get
the in-between revision to compile cleanly.

from revision 957 to 970, builds on linux are broken in "make" stage:

rm -f ".deps/varnishd-cache_pool.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
cache_pool.c: In function `WRK_Sendfile':
cache_pool.c:105: error: storage size of 'sfh' isn't known
make[3]: *** [varnishd-cache_pool.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/root/varnish2/bin/varnishd'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/varnish2/bin'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/varnish2'
make: *** [all] Error 2

---------------------------

Rev 956 builds cleanly but results in the same connection stalling
problem. So the problem has been narrowed down quite a bit.

The changes somewhere between 949 and 956 are causing the connection
stalling problem. I only tested latest rev and backtracked to clean
build of 956. Didn't test 950-955. Will test those 5 revs later in the
night PST time.

Xing

Linux: rev 949 trunk is stable..not sure about others [ In reply to ]
In message <4506F3D6.7090003 at litespeedtech.com>, "xing at litespeedtech.com" write
s:
>Have been running on varnish/trunk revision 949 for a few days now.
>Other than a high cpu issue which is resolved by restarting varnish once
>a day, varnish has been very good.
>
>Just tested latest trunk build at 971 with bad result. Connections are
>stalling.

Ohh, that's bad.

>Trying to backtrack in revision to see where it broke but I can't get
>the in-between revision to compile cleanly.
>
>from revision 957 to 970, builds on linux are broken in "make" stage:

That's just a missing ')'

>The changes somewhere between 949 and 956 are causing the connection
>stalling problem. I only tested latest rev and backtracked to clean
>build of 956. Didn't test 950-955. Will test those 5 revs later in the
>night PST time.

It's a big help if you can track it down.

I did some work to reduce mutex contention in the acceptor/herder
and that's probably where the trouble is.

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe
Linux: rev 949 trunk is stable..not sure about others [ In reply to ]
In message <4506F3D6.7090003 at litespeedtech.com>, "xing at litespeedtech.com" write
s:
>Have been running on varnish/trunk revision 949 for a few days now.
>Other than a high cpu issue which is resolved by restarting varnish once
>a day, varnish has been very good.
>
>Just tested latest trunk build at 971 with bad result. Connections are
>stalling.

Ohh, that's bad.

Linux: rev 949 trunk is stable..not sure about others [ In reply to ]
"Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> writes:
> "xing at litespeedtech.com" writes:
> > from revision 957 to 970, builds on linux are broken in "make" stage:
> That's just a missing ')'

No, that's the sendfile stuff.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav
Senior Software Developer
Linux: rev 949 trunk is stable..not sure about others [ In reply to ]
"Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> writes:
> "xing at litespeedtech.com" writes:
> > from revision 957 to 970, builds on linux are broken in "make" stage:
> That's just a missing ')'

No, that's the sendfile stuff.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav
Senior Software Developer
Linux: rev 949 trunk is stable..not sure about others [ In reply to ]
Couldn't test changes since rev 949 and before 956 to isolate problem.
All of the revisions in between compile with error:

vcl_compile.c:677: error: syntax error before "__unused"
vcl_compile.c: In function `HeaderVar':
vcl_compile.c:685: error: `t' undeclared (first use in this function)
vcl_compile.c:685: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
vcl_compile.c:685: error: for each function it appears in.)
vcl_compile.c:692: error: `vh' undeclared (first use in this function)
vcl_compile.c: At top level:
vcl_compile.c:1889: error: syntax error before "__unused"
vcl_compile.c: In function `VCC_T_render':
vcl_compile.c:1893: error: `args' undeclared (first use in this function)
vcl_compile.c:1894: error: `f' undeclared (first use in this function)
vcl_compile.c: At top level:
vcl_compile.c:1899: error: syntax error before "__unused"
vcl_compile.c: In function `VCC_T_arginfo':
vcl_compile.c:1902: error: `n' undeclared (first use in this function)
vcl_compile.c:1903: error: `argtypes' undeclared (first use in this
function)
make[3]: *** [vcl_compile.lo] Error 1