Ideally, we would like to install Trac on a different server, on one
of the ones in our DMZ so that it can be externally visible to certain
customers (once we're happy with it).

I've had a brief look, and the TracOnWindows wiki entry suggests that
Trac needs to be on the same server as SVN. Does it? If not, are
there instructions for doing what I want, or will I have to wing it?

Peter Mounce ( mailto:pete@x-rm.com )
Software Developer http://www.x-rm.com - X-RM Ltd, Winchester
Trac needs to be on same server as SVN? [ In reply to ]
Peter Mounce wrote:

>I've had a brief look, and the TracOnWindows wiki entry suggests that
>Trac needs to be on the same server as SVN. Does it? If not, are
>there instructions for doing what I want, or will I have to wing it?

My undestanding is also that it is needed, because trac uses SVN server
APIs (like svn.fs).
However, since 1.1.0, SVN supports a new filesystem backend (the
'fsfs'), which itself can be
accessed remotely, through NFS for instance. This would be one solution,
but maybe not so
useful if you can't afford setting up a NFS mount between your zones.
The second solution which I'm thinking about would be to use an Apache
web server
for the external machine, using some forwarding to the trac server inside.

That's how I do to forward from my Apache server to the tracd listening
on port 8888:

ProxyPass /trac http://dserver:8888/edgewall-trac/
ProxyPass /edgewall-trac/ http://dserver:8888/edgewall-trac/
ProxyPass /trac_common/ http://dserver:8888/trac_common/

Hope this helps!

-- CB
Trac needs to be on same server as SVN? [ In reply to ]
Thanks; unfortunately it won't be possible to use a fileshare (at
least for the foreseeable future) - if Trac makes it onto our
customer-facing server, that's hosted offsite and we currently lack a
VPN to it, so it's not on the office domain.

I'll fiddle about with the forwarding idea, though!