Mailing List Archive

quick question concerning querying functionality.
Hello all

I'm reviewing Trac as a potential replacement for our defect tracker.
I'm using the Trac website as a demonstration of it's functionality
(don't worry, I'm not trying to enter dummy data, just pursuing).

Other defect tracers separate querying functionality from reporting
functionality. Basically, a query is a set of search criteria, while a
report is the sorting, grouping, colourizing, etc of the search results.

On the Trac website, I can only see simple searching functionality and
reporting functionality. Additionally, I can't see how to create a
report. What I want to do is execute a query, something like, "show me
all issues that were opened by rocky that are unresolved and targeted
for milestone 0.8". The search functionality isn't going to give me
this information as it's too simple. And I don't have the authority
(I'm assuming) to author a report.

Therefore, how do I execute such a query?

Thanks

JDG

--
Jay Glanville
quick question concerning querying functionality. [ In reply to ]
Hi Jay,

Am 30.09.2004 um 20:38 schrieb Glanville, Jay:
> Other defect tracers separate querying functionality from reporting
> functionality. Basically, a query is a set of search criteria, while a
> report is the sorting, grouping, colourizing, etc of the search
> results.
>
> On the Trac website, I can only see simple searching functionality and
> reporting functionality. Additionally, I can't see how to create a
> report. What I want to do is execute a query, something like, "show me
> all issues that were opened by rocky that are unresolved and targeted
> for milestone 0.8". The search functionality isn't going to give me
> this information as it's too simple. And I don't have the authority
> (I'm assuming) to author a report.
>
> Therefore, how do I execute such a query?

A query module as such is in the works, e.g.:

http://projects.edgewall.com/trac/query?
status=new&reporter=rocky&status=assigned&status=reopened&milestone=0.8

The functionality is very limited right now. Basically, you don't yet
have a real UI for constructing queries, and you can't configure what
columns are displayed and in what order etc. It has been added in this
way so that we can link to ticket listings from the roadmap/milestone
modules.

Coincidentally, the only ticket returned by that query is the one about
the query interface. Feel free to add your requirements and ideas.

About reports, you are right that creating/editing reports requires
special permissions that are not granted to anonymous on the Trac site.

Cheers, Chris
--
Christopher Lenz
/=/ cmlenz at gmx.de