Mailing List Archive

Questions about upgrading Trac 1.2.3 to 1.2.6
I was recently advised to upgrade Trac 1.2.3 to 1.2.6 to address an issue with TracQuery using custom fields.
Specifically, I am getting the following error when using TracQuery with custom fields:
Trac detected an internal error:
OperationalError: ambiguous column name: id

Below is the environment:
* Trac 1.2.3
* Genshi 0.7 (with speedups)
* mod_python 3.3.1
* Pygments 2.1
* pysqlite 2.7.0
* Python 2.7.12
* setuptools 20.7.0
* SQLite 3.11.0
* jQuery 1.11.3
* jQuery UI 1.11.4
* jQuery Timepicker 1.5.5
* Apache2 2.4.18

I would appreciate some guidance on upgrading to 1.2.6.

When the system was upgraded in 2019 from Trac 1.0.9 to 1.2.3, it was done using easy_install --upgrade Trac.
A global directory was setup for the python egg cache.
An export statement was added to /etc/apache2/envvars as per Trac v. 1.2 deployment instructions:
* export PKG_RESOURCES_CACHE_ZIP_MANIFESTS=1

Since we used easy_install for the Trac 1.2.3 upgrade, does that mean we have to use it again to upgrade to Trac 1.2.6?
Can we instead use pip?
If we can use pip, can we remove the global python egg cache directory as well as the export PKG_RESOURCES_CACHE_ZIP_MANIFESTS=1 statement?
It is my understanding that pip does not use eggs, but rather flat packages.

Best,
Patty Cottrill

*** CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments from IMCI Technologies are for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain material that is proprietary, confidential, privileged or otherwise legally protected or restricted under applicable government laws. Any review, disclosure, distributing or other use without expressed permission of the sender is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies without reading, printing, or saving. ***

Re: Questions about upgrading Trac 1.2.3 to 1.2.6 [ In reply to ]
[...]

Yes, you should be able to use pip.

I would do "pip uninstall Trac", repeating until it returns "not
installed", in case you have more than one older version of Trac. Then "pip
install Trac==1.2.6". Make sure to stop your webserver before doing those
operations.

If we can use pip, can we remove the global python egg cache directory as
well as the *export **PKG_RESOURCES_CACHE_ZIP_MANIFESTS=1* statement?

If you upgrade your setuptools to greater than 5.6 you can remove that.
"pip install -U setuptools".
https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracInstall#DeployingTrac

It is my understanding that pip does not use eggs, but rather flat packages.

Pip will prefer installing the whl package from pypi.

I recommend reading the entire TracInstall document:
https://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracInstall

Ryan