Mailing List Archive

Namespace support
Hi!

I'm currently evaluating Trac as the new SCM system for our robot
soccer Team (see http://www.robocup.de/GermanTeam). We were using a
combination of StatCVS, ViewCVS and DokuWiki up until now, but are
willing to switch to SVN/Trac during the next weeks.

Because we're quite a massive Team of developers from 4 different
Universities, our Wiki quickly gets spammed with commonly used pagenames
like "Schedule", "Events", "Links" etc.

DokuWiki had a very nice feature called NameSpaces, to solve this
problem. Every WikiLink can have an optional Namespace, like
"Dortmund:Schedule", or "Dortmund:ToDo". Every link on such a page uses
this as as the default Namespace.
(Example: a [ToDo]-Link will go to Dortmund:ToDo, if it was appearing on
the Dortmund:Schedule page.)

After we used this feature exessively for about 1 Month, we just don't
want to miss it ;) Every university that has access to the shared
repository can use the common pages, and have their own namespace for
more privately interesting things in parallel.

On a side note: This system might also be used for supporting multiple
projects under Trac. Each project could lie in its own Wiki-Namespace,
and you would still have the possibility to share information between
the projects. (and it wouldn't clog up the wiki namespace, or make
linking anymore difficult, because of the default-namespace behavior)

See http://www.splitbrain.org/dokuwiki/wiki:dokuwiki
and http://www.splitbrain.org/dokuwiki/wiki:namespaces

for a better explanation of what i have in mind..

btw: Great work! We're impressed ;)
--
thomas.kindler@gmx.de, www.kreapc.de