Mailing List Archive

Installing Trac 0.7.1 on OS X
Hi there,

I have just discovered your fab looking tool, trac, and I've been
having lots of fun trying to install it ;) I have managed now, almost.
Before I plodge on, I just wanted to pass on a few notes, and
questions, I made along the way. I am running on OS X Panther, using
(trying to) stock python 2.3.

fink:
I wanted to avoid having to install Fink, as I have not liked the
confusion I had on another machine with having multiple versions of the
same packages (python!). However, I succumbed in the end but /sw/bin is
not in my path... so unless I specify otherwise, fink installed
executables are not visible. With so many package managers available
for the mac (pypi, bsdports, packman, ...) I would really like to
resist obliging anyone to use any single one of these... I have not
understood which one will win out, and which one we should standardize
on. Hopefully that will be clear soon.

In the end, i've installed svn, svn-client and svn-swig-py23 with fink.
But, to stay /sw-independent on my system, I then manually copied svn
and libsvn packages from /sw/lib/python2.3/site-packages to my standard
2.3 site-packages.

clearsilver:
I would suggest that the sample configure command for this (on
TracOnOsx) specifies standard /usr/bin/python2.3 and not a python from
fink.

trac:
installation of trac reports installation of the trac scripts
(trac-admin, tracd, tracdb2env), but I could not find them anywhere.
Where are these supposed to be put? Anyway, I manually copied
trac-distribution/scripts/* to /usr/local/bin/.

For the projectenv file permissions, do I need to assign write
permission by the apache-user to the entire directory tree below the
projectenv root, or just the db subdirectory?

If I hit on the link Timeline in the web browser, I get the exception:
SubversionException: ('Berkeley DB error while opening environment for
filesystem /path/to/svn/test1/db:\nPermission denied', 160029). My svn
repo is empty (just created it for trac). What does this error mean?

apache:
I had a very annoying problem, that in the end turned out to be a typo
in the sample apache configuration provided in TracInstall. The problem
is with configuring htdocs dir... as for the Alias directive, what you
provide is correct but for the Directory directive what you specify
will cause apache to not restart (running Apache/1.3.29 here). The
problem is the trailing slash on the path for the Directory directive:
Alias /trac/ "/usr/share/trac/htdocs/"
<Directory "/usr/share/trac/htdocs"> # Must not have the trailing slash
!
</Directory>

Plus, I would suggest that you encourage users to use a separate
trac-only conf file, that they can Include from the main httpd.conf.

using:
- I see that the wiki pages as docs installed locally are not in sync
with what is on your public site... specifically the TracPermissions
page provided locally is different and incorrect (does not work).

- I have not understood to what extent I can customize the system... in
particular, in the issue browser, can I create either new categories of
"tickets"? Plus, can I have several independent issue trackers for the
same project?

- how does one add/register new users? I mean full name, email, etc ?
Or only via AuthUserFile for now?
- is there any email notification as yet?

- is it possible to configure the navigation bars on top of the wiki?
how?

- is it possible to support different interface languages (the text of
the navigation items, buttons, ...), letting the user choose the
preferred one?

Look forward to learning more about trac!

Best regards,

Mario Ruggier
Installing Trac 0.7.1 on OS X [ In reply to ]
Hi,

just to follow-up on my earlier message... a lot of the questions I
have answered for myself, by reading more of the docs, and browsing the
tickets, and so on. And the Berkeley DB error I had was only web
permissions on the svn repos files. I see that most of the other
questions I had asked are either planned enhancements, or enhancements
under consideration.

For the record, I have modified the TracInstall page slightly:
http://projects.edgewall.com/trac/wiki/TracInstall?version=52&diff=yes

Thanks a lot for trac!

mario