Mailing List Archive

Best *nix for SVN?
Hi all,

I've got the opportunity to choose a flavour of *nix to install on some Dell
hardware (PowerEdge 2550) - the purpose of this box is primarily as the SVN
repository, but we'll have Apache and Trac on it too. I have experience with
Mandrake, but we can use Debian (preferred by the security people), FreeBSD
(preferred by the web team) or SuSE (preferred by the z/OS people) - Redhat
might look good on the resume ;)

I know the answer is pretty much "it depends", with the availability of
drivers and appropriate packages - I've confirmed the drivers side...

I'm wondering if anyone has had a particularly bad/good experience with
setting up SVN/Trac on any of the following:

Debian
FreeBSD
Mandrake
Redhat
SuSE

Many thanks in advance for your comments. As long as I don't mention
windoze, I reckon the chances of keeping it clean are pretty high!

Cheers,

:D

Daragh Fitzpatrick Daragh@UChicago.edu (773) 702-8976

Solutions Architect NSIT Administrative Systems
Renewal Projects and Architecture University of Chicago
Best *nix for SVN? [ In reply to ]
I've been using debian testing for a couple of years now, after
migrating from RedHat. Setting up subversion was probably the easiest
task imaginable. I built Trac 0.71 from source, as the apt-sources
(rather sesnsibly) can be a bit behind the leading edge. No problems
there either.

If you ask nicely, I'll mail you my Twikied notes on installing SVN, the
python packages and the DAV libraries for apache2.

I shouldn't think your experience will differ too much on any of the
distros you mention, however. It's probably best to stick with what you
know best.

Terry.

Best *nix for SVN? [ In reply to ]
Thanks Terry!

would you please (with cool-whip and a nice big cherry on top) send
the twiki notes? As a way of saying thanks (and with your permission) I will
post to the Trac wiki with step-by-step installation instructions.

Best *nix for SVN? [ In reply to ]
Daragh Fitzpatrick writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I've got the opportunity to choose a flavour of *nix to install on some Dell
> hardware (PowerEdge 2550) - the purpose of this box is primarily as the SVN
> repository, but we'll have Apache and Trac on it too. I have experience with
> [...]
> Many thanks in advance for your comments. As long as I don't mention
> windoze, I reckon the chances of keeping it clean are pretty high!

My first recommendation would be the OS with which you are most
comfortable.

That said, I'm running it on a FreeBSD 5.2.1-p4 box, it builds very
nicely out of the ports tree and brings along all of it's dependencies
w/ a minimum of fuss and bother.

One of the things that I really like about FreeBSD 5 is the ability to
use dump to get real-honest-to-god backups of the live filesystem (use
the -L option to take a snapshot of the partition before dumping it).

That, plus the ports tree, really ROCKS.

g.