Mailing List Archive

More User information
Hello,

We are currently evaluating Trac for use within our company since we
recently made the transition from CVS to Subversion. I am wondering a
few things regarding modifying user information, and I hoped the list
might be able to provide some answers.

I have looked though the RoadMap and some of the ticket posted there,
but nothing seemed to address these items specifically, but I apologize
if I missed something.

1) We would like to set up users and identify them by their names _and_
email addresses. There only seems to be a username field in the user
table in the database, I was wondering how difficult it would be to
add an email along with that. One option we have considered with this
as well is to make the email address be the username, but that is not
100% optimal.

2) Although we have not experimented much with permissions, I am under
the impression that when creating a new ticket, the "Reporter" field is
pre-populated with your username. What I am wondering about, is could
the "Assign To" field be a drop down list populated with the usernames
of all other people attached to that particular Trac instance (aka-
everyone in the perms database)? What would be the complexities in
implementing this?

3) I am not sure I understand 100% how the Email Notification works,
and to be honest, I have not set it up yet either. In the docs it says:

When reporting a new ticket or adding a comment, if you enter a valid
email address in the reporter, editor or cc field, you will
automatically receive an email upon future changes to the ticket.

I assume this means that this email is stored in the DB somewhere, and
you automatically get an email each time the ticket is changed. But my
question is, can you remove an email from the ticket? What happens when
someone no longer needs to be or shouldn't be CCed anymore? I apologize
if this is answer becomes obvious once Email Notification is set up.

Thank you,

Stevan Little
stevan@iinteractive.com
On two occasions I have been asked by members of Parliament,
"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures,
will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to
apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke
such a question.
-- Charles Babbage, 1792-1871
More User information [ In reply to ]
On Jul 15, 2004, at 10:30 AM, stevan little wrote:

> 1) We would like to set up users and identify them by their names
> _and_ email addresses. There only seems to be a username field in the
> user table in the database, I was wondering how difficult it would be
> to add an email along with that. One option we have considered with
> this as well is to make the email address be the username, but that is
> not 100% optimal.

You can specify 'name' and 'email' in the Settings page but I'm not
sure where they're used. Luckily we don't have that problem as our
usernames (Kerberos principals) are email addresses already.

> I assume this means that this email is stored in the DB somewhere, and
> you automatically get an email each time the ticket is changed.

Yes, it's stored with the tickets.

> But my question is, can you remove an email from the ticket? What
> happens when someone no longer needs to be or shouldn't be CCed
> anymore? I apologize if this is answer becomes obvious once Email
> Notification is set up.

You can remove the cc address, or change the assignee address. One
address that doesn't seem possible to change after a ticket is created
is the reporter's address, but it is not yet possible:

<http://projects.edgewall.com/trac/ticket/553>

--
Nicholas Riley <njriley@uiuc.edu>