Mailing List Archive

Windows Installation Instructions
You lucky people!!!

I've written up detailed instructions on how to get TRAC up-and-running on a
Windows box - FROM SCRATCH (no subversion, no apache)

I'm attaching for comments - I hope edgewall will consider putting this on
the Wiki (can I do it myself?!)

Also, there are some identified bugs in the installation, mainly based on
the documentation assuming *nix and wanting to install to D: drive.

On a side/related note, I am considering having different repositories for
each environment (dev, prod, test) - can TRAC handle multiple repositories?
Is this advisable in general (in Subversion terms)?

DRAFT Doc attached. Oh, don't bother opening up the security can of worms -
I was thinking of specifying some ways to lock down apache, but I think
it's a topic that's too broad to tackle here. This is just a quick-start.

By the way - I LOVE this product! I do have a wishlist, and will be posting
the bugs to the site, so stay posted. Thanks, Edgewall!

Cheers,

:D

Daragh Fitzpatrick Daragh@UChicago.edu (773) 702-8976

Solutions Architect NSIT Administrative Systems
Renewal Projects and Architecture University of Chicago
-------------- next part --------------
Windows Installation instructions for SVN w/TRAC

Versions:
Windows 2000 Server SP3
Apache 2.0.49
Python 2.3.3
SVN 1.0.2
SQLite 2.8.13
PySQLite 0.5.0-py2.3
ClearSilver 0.8.0
Trac 0.6.1
Note: Install all to D: (for this example)

. Get & Read book
http://svnbook.red-bean.com
. Install Python
http://www.python.org
Add D:\Python to path
. Install Apache
http://httpd.apache.org
. Install Subversion
http://subversion.tigris.org
. Create Repository Directory
md d:\svn
. Create Repository
svnadmin create d:\svn\repo1
. Create skeleton repository structure in d:\temp\project
Example:
/project
/vendor
/tags
/trunk
files
/projectname
/branches
/tags
/trunk
files
. Build Repository Tree
svn import d:\temp\project file:///d:/svn/repo1 -m "Initial Load"
. Create local sandbox
D:\> svn checkout file:///d:/svn/repo1 d:\project
. Copy files
D:\> copy d:\progra~1\subver~1\httpd\*.* d:\progra~1\apache~1\apache2\modules
. Create password file (w/user 'admin')
D:\> d:\progra~1\apache~1\apache2\bin\htpasswd -cm d:\svn\.htaccess admin
. Configure Apache (edit httpd.conf)
. Restrict access/lockdown as appropriate
. Add Modules to httpd.conf
Uncomment:
LoadModule dav_module modules/mod_dav.so
Add (after):
LoadModule dav_svn_module modules/mod_dav_svn.so
. Add location root for multiple repositories
<Location /svn>
DAV svn
# any /svn/foo URL will map to a repository D:/svn/foo
SVNParentPath D:/svn
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Subversion repository"
AuthUserFile d:/svn/.htaccess
Require valid-user
</Location>
. Restart your MACHINE
. Test your install of Subversion
http://[hostname]:80/svn/repo1
. Phew! Subversion is installed and working - Grab a beverage for yourself.
. Add users to password file
D:\> d:\progra~1\apache~1\apache2\bin\htpasswd -m d:\svn\.htaccess user
. Install Subversion Python Bindings
(Get from same download page as Subversion)
Copy libsvn and svn directories to D:\Python23\Lib
. Install SQLite
http://www.sqlite.org
Copy sqlite.exe to D:\Program Files\SQLite
. Install PySQLite
http://pysqlite.sourceforge.net
#. Install ClearSilver
# http://www.clearsilver.net
# Copy neo_cgi.pyd to \Python23\Lib\site-packages
. Install TRAC
http://www.edgewall.com/products/trac/
. (BUG) Edit first line of D:\Python\Scripts\trac-admin to be:
#!D:\Python23\python.exe
. (BUG) Edit first line of D:\Python23\share\trac\cgi-bin\trac.cgi to be:
#!D:\Python23\python.exe
. Copy CGI
D:\> copy d:\python23\share\trac\cgi-bin\trac.cgi d:\progra~1\apache~1\apache2\cgi-bin
. (BUG) not able to run trac-admin initenv...
. Create TRAC DB - Run trac-admin
D:\Python23\Scripts> python trac-admin d:/svn/trac.db
. Initialize DB
Trac [d:/svn/trac.db]> initdb
Enter project name
Project
Enter path to repository
d:\svn\repo1
Enter path to templates
d:\Python23\share\trac\templates
(BUG) Note error message regarding wiki-pages
. (BUG) Load Wiki
Trac [d:/svn/trac.db]> wiki load d:/python23/share/trac/wiki-default
. Add administrative permissions
Trac [d:/svn/trac.db]> permission add admin TICKET_ADMIN
Trac [d:/svn/trac.db]> permission add admin REPORT_CREATE
Trac [d:/svn/trac.db]> permission add admin REPORT_MODIFY
Trac [d:/svn/trac.db]> permission add admin REPORT_DELETE
Trac [d:/svn/trac.db]> permission add admin REPORT_ADMIN
Trac [d:/svn/trac.db]> permission add admin WIKI_DELETE
Trac [d:/svn/trac.db]> permission add admin WIKI_ADMIN
Trac [d:/svn/trac.db]> permission add admin CONFIG_VIEW
Trac [d:/svn/trac.db]> permission add admin TRAC_ADMIN
. Edit httpd.conf: Add: (copy this - there's a typo in Edgewall's version)
Alias /trac "D:/Python23/share/trac/htdocs"
<Directory "D:/Python23/share/trac/htdocs">
Options Indexes MultiViews
AllowOverride None
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>
<Location "/cgi-bin/trac.cgi">
SetEnv TRAC_DB "d:/svn/trac.db"
</Location>
<Location "/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/login">
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Project"
AuthUserFile D:/svn/.htaccess
Require valid-user
</Location>
. Hold your breath, test TRAC install
http://[hostname]:80/cgi-bin/trac.cgi
. Install SVN Clients as necessary (try Rapid SVN & Tortoise SVN)
. Now go get a *real* drink.
. Don't forget to lock down the security on the box!

Daragh@i2i-Tech.com for more info.
Windows Installation Instructions [ In reply to ]
Wow, this worked! Us lucky people, you are correct! Thanks for taking
the time to do this Daragh.

Some questions and comments:

- ClearSilver is commented out. Is there a reason for this?

- It is easy to make mistakes if we copy/paste your commands when
installing on a different drive. "d:" should be change to "c:" ;) or a
more formal notation like "[drive]:" would be easier to adapt.

- Apache needs to be restarted when httpd.conf is modified at the enbd
of the procedure (obvious but nonetheless.)

Again, for a Subversion/Trac/Python Newbie like me, this procedure was
complete.

Claude

Windows Installation Instructions [ In reply to ]
I'm really glad it worked!

Thanks for the comments. ClearSilver is not necessary with the Windows
Installer, so I've removed it completely, and updated the doc appropriately
overall.

I took the initiative and the instructions are now up on the TRAC site.
http://projects.edgewall.com/trac/wiki/TracOnWindows

Enjoy.